The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Temporary, then leave it (albeit theoretically).

Right, but if you assume that Labour's policy is essentially 'a backstop, but not temporary, and we like it' it isn't incompatible with the Withdrawal Agreement. 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

if you assume that Labour's policy is essentially 'a backstop, but not temporary, and we like it'

Why would anyone assume that? as it's not their policy. Their policy they had previously stated was permanent and not "the" (one in the WA) CU, but a different (unicorn) one.

I suppose this is the wrong thread really, for all that, but to get back to the BBC and Maitliss/Hoey, Hoey (apparently) said their policy wasn't a CU, and Maitliss asked if Corbyn was a hard Brexiter. Brexit is a mess, but the question seems both fair, and as an aside actually asks and is right to ask if Corbyn is a sly hard leaver, because there are plenty of people, (me included) who've long felt that that's exactly what he is hoping happens, out of a mix of perceived electoral advantage and also personal outlook which is anti EU.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Why would anyone assume that? as it's not their policy. Their policy they had previously stated was permanent and not "the" (one in the WA) CU, but a different (unicorn) one.

I suppose this is the wrong thread really, for all that, but to get back to the BBC and Maitliss/Hoey, Hoey (apparently) said their policy wasn't a CU, and Maitliss asked if Corbyn was a hard Brexiter. Brexit is a mess, but the question seems both fair, and as an aside actually asks and is right to ask if Corbyn is a sly hard leaver, because there are plenty of people, (me included) who've long felt that that's exactly what he is hoping happens, out of a mix of perceived electoral advantage and also personal outlook which is anti EU.

Agree with all that, the only thing I'm not sure about, is why ask Kate Hoey the question? Now admittedly, she's the Labour MP that Corbyn supposedly congratulated after the referendum result saying "Good Job, Keep Up The Good Work" but she's also pretty much to the right of Frank Field and even less in the Labour loop than he is

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's why I said 'not temporary'? As in, 'permanent'? And there is no 'the' customs union, there are only different customs arrangements. 

The idea that Corbyn is a secret hard-leaver is bizarre, and requires you to keep ignoring actual votes in Parliament. Nobody else seems to get this 'I know better what's in the content of his soul' stuff, but it's everywhere regarding Corbyn. By the same token, I might as well conclude that Mark Francois is a secret Remainer helping to delay Brexit on the sly. 

Anyway, as you say, probably the wrong thread at this stage. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The idea that Corbyn is a secret hard-leaver is bizarre, and requires you to keep ignoring actual votes in Parliament. Nobody else seems to get this 'I know better what's in the content of his soul' stuff, but it's everywhere regarding Corbyn. By the same token, I might as well conclude that Mark Francois is a secret Remainer helping to delay Brexit on the sly. 

Actually what is more bizarre is that people actually think he's had an epiphany in the last three years when all he's done and said for the previous three decades has indicated that he is indeed a hard brexiteer.

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Agree with all that, the only thing I'm not sure about, is why ask Kate Hoey the question?

Because she was the only Labour person in the studio, she was being interviewed and had just made a claim that Labour didn't support CU.

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's why I said 'not temporary'? As in, 'permanent'?

QED. Labour can't both support a permanent one, and be fine with a temporary one, as a policy for the UK trading with the EU. Because as soon as a temporary one is ended, there is no CU.

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

there is no 'the' customs union

Yes, there is. There's the EU wide (+ a few other nations) Customs Union. In the context of the UK and yurp, there's no other available CU. Any others are figments of whoever's imagination, Unicorns.

Just now, blandy said:

Because she was the only Labour person in the studio, she was being interviewed and had just made a claim that Labour didn't support CU.

Yeah, I get that but the point is more why have her in the studio in the first place. She does not represent... well anything really. Hers is an opinion so marginal it isn't worth exposing to public scrutiny. The Kate Noey wing of the party represents one person

Just now, bickster said:

why have her in the studio in the first place. She does not represent... well anything really.

Oh yeah, I agree. They give too much time to these throbbers, who represent a very small group of dishonest, fantasists. They shouldn't get nearly as much coverage as they get. That Frncois is another monster bell who is all over the place, despite being a massive arse with an unsustainable line in idiotic rhetoric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yes, there is. There's the EU wide (+ a few other nations) Customs Union. In the context of the UK and yurp, there's no other available CU. Any others are figments of whoever's imagination, Unicorns.

You should tell Leo Varadkar:

Brexit: Leo Varadkar hints at UK say in future trade deals

'The Taoiseach (Irish prime minister), Leo Varadkar, has suggested that the UK would be able to have a say in trade deals if it forms a customs union with the EU.

[. . .]

However, the Taoiseach suggested the EU would be able to develop a 'sui generis' (unique) arrangement for the UK, and said the proposal for the UK to stay in a customs union with the EU after Brexit has "real merit".

[. . .]

"If the UK were to decide to stay in a customs union, we would be able to develop something 'sui generis' so that they would have a say around things in terms of future trade deals, and a level playing field around labour rights and environmental rights."'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47885014

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Because she was the only Labour person in the studio, 

I believe that was their choice.  It's not like encountering random people in the street, they chose this.

And calling her a "Labour person" is stretching the bounds of language.  She never was, and is visibly not so now.

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I believe that was their choice.  It's not like encountering random people in the street, they chose this.

And calling her a "Labour person" is stretching the bounds of language.  She never was, and is visibly not so now.

Who are they? The Labour Party or the Broadcaster? As very often the Broadcaster asks the party for a spokesperson. Though on this occasion I very much doubt it

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who are they? The Labour Party or the Broadcaster? As very often the Broadcaster asks the party for a spokesperson. Though on this occasion I very much doubt it

The broadcaster.  As you recognise, there's no way the LP would put up Hooey as a spokesperson.

Total digression, but I've never gotten my head around state subsidized broadcasting. We have the same stuff in Norway, where someone like me whom only watches Netflix and hbo has to pay 400 quid a year to have a TV. Just moronic on so many levels. The idea of paying for your own ride has totally escaped the neanderthal marxists. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Total digression, but I've never gotten my head around state subsidized broadcasting. We have the same stuff in Norway, where someone like me whom only watches Netflix and hbo has to pay 400 quid a year to have a TV. Just moronic on so many levels. The idea of paying for your own ride has totally escaped the neanderthal marxists. 

It's a choice here and as stressed, we are talking about news and current affairs. The BBCs output for me is exceptional across TV and radio and I happily pay the license fee. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ah if it's a choice, then I think it's a reasonable system. Does that mean you lose access if you don't pay your lisence? 

In theory, you are breaking the law if you watch live to air TV without a licence.

In practice, the chances of detection are absolutely minimal

Â