The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

When the Illegal War thing didn't get stopped

Ironically, the trio who did most to ignore the marches against the Iraq war are fully behind the current march.  Blair, Mandy, Campbell.

• Like 4

On 23/03/2019 at 15:39, Chindie said:

It's changed throughout the day in fairness. They started at thousands, the headline is now hundreds of thousands. I daresay I've they get actual figure estimates later they'll shift to over a million.

There must have been a recount. It’s back down to tens of thousands on Breakfast this morning.  

• Like 1

Compare and contrast. BBC coverage of the remain march and the leave march. They appear to be live streaming speeches from the leave march, that never happened on Saturday for starters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why would the BBC be pro leaving the EU?

They're not.  And most of their reporters and presenters aren't.

They have been bullied into a position of appeasing the far right,  for fear of attracting complaints from the likes of Murdoch and Falange, or their apparatchiks.

It's true they didn't put up much of a fight.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Around 10,000 there tonight apparently - as compared to the 500,000 to a million there last week. 

Both reported as thousands.

One report I just watched added that today’s march was watched “by just a few remainers” :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, peterms said:

They're not.  And most of their reporters and presenters aren't.

They have been bullied into a position of appeasing the far right,  for fear of attracting complaints from the likes of Murdoch and Falange, or their apparatchiks.

It's true they didn't put up much of a fight.

I just happened to have Newswatch on the BBC News channel on and there was a piece where people were complaining that an interview with the Wetherspoons bell end was biased against him.  The fact that both sides seem to always accuse the Beeb of bias means they are probably doing something right, but I get the point that they go over the top in giving too much airtime to the more extreme people.

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The fact that both sides seem to always accuse the Beeb of bias means they are probably doing something right, but I get the point that they go over the top in giving too much airtime to the more extreme people.

I used to subscribe to that view myself but since Cameron changed the people at the top it's gone from balanced to hysterically right wing in its political output

51 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The fact that both sides seem to always accuse the Beeb of bias means they are probably doing something right

Accusing them of bias is also a very deliberate tactic by some people, in order to shape what they cover and how they cover it over the long terms.  Bernard Ingham and Alistair Campbell were famous for doing it by immediately getting on the phone and shouting and blustering, trying to intimidate staff, and the Israeli Embassy does it all the time.  It's not just public protestations of bias, it's the constant phone calls to producers and senior executives. 

Rather than assuming that if both sides protest, the coverage must be balanced, it's probably better to look at more detailed studies people have done of the amount of coverage, the way the stories are presented, selection of speakers and so on.  The Glasgow Media GRoup has been doing this since the 1970s, and some other places are doing it as well.

• Like 2

I think I mentioned this somewhere at the time, before this thread was a thing.

Cardiff University looked at BBC output in the run up to the last election. And did analysis in the early 2000's about anti-war bias, which the government of the time suggested it suffered from

Study deals a blow to claims of anti-war bias in BBC news

4 Jul 2003

Downing Street's complaints about anti-war bias within the BBC appear to be disproved by an academic analysis that shows the corporation displayed the most "pro-war" agenda of any broadcaster.

A detailed study of peak-time television news bulletins during the course of the Iraq war shows that the BBC was more reliant than any of its rivals on government and military sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/jul/04/Iraqandthemedia.politicsandthemedia

The stuff at the last election IIRC was around the assertion that the BBC was giving equal screen time to candidates and therefore balanced. And the analysis showed that there was a right-wing bias in the make up of the content.

i.e Labour had similar screen time, only the tone was often negative

Since then of course the Jeremy Corbyn in a russian hat and so on has illustrated the point.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think I mentioned this somewhere at the time, before this thread was a thing.

Cardiff University looked at BBC output in the run up to the last election. And did analysis in the early 2000's about anti-war bias, which the government of the time suggested it suffered from

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/jul/04/Iraqandthemedia.politicsandthemedia

The stuff at the last election IIRC was around the assertion that the BBC was giving equal screen time to candidates and therefore balanced. And the analysis showed that there was a right-wing bias in the make up of the content.

i.e Labour had similar screen time, only the tone was often negative

Since then of course the Jeremy Corbyn in a russian hat and so on has illustrated the point.

That was way before the Cameron appointments

Â