The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a discussion about the idea of tax. That's for another thread. 

I want to know why I can't plug my TV in and watch Netflix without paying the BBC £150 a year or whatever the rate is now. That's the question.

you can. As long as you are not watching BBC or watching/recording live broadcasts you do not need a license

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Wrong.

no it isn't

If you are not watching or recording live tv as it is broadcast, Not watching BBC or iplayer you do not need a license at all.

The act of owning a TV does not require a license payment

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

no it isn't

If you are not watching or recording live tv as it is broadcast, Not watching BBC or iplayer you do not need a license at all.

The act of owning a TV does not require a license payment

This is correct, changed in the 2003 Communications Act. It does mean you can't watch the tennis live on Amazon Prime though

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

It is a public service - it provides educational programming for schools and Uni's. It's mission is to inform, educate and entertain. It provides free radio stations and websites. it also runs the world service radio abroad, acting (sometimes) as part of the foreign office and UK "message" to the world, for the benefit of the UK culturally, tourism etc.

Sure it's not as critical as the NHS, but then other public services aren't as important either - from things already mentioned - leisure centres, sports pitches, schools even (for people without kids) and so on.

Edit - they also, by law have to show things like the world cup and so on, so that everyone with a TV can watch them, not just Sky subscribers or BT sport or AMazon subscriptions. If the WC went to ppv or subscription telly, we'd be deprived (or have to pay a high price) to watch them.

Also worth mentioning the huge advancement in broadcast technology influenced by the BBC's R&D department. People may want to just plug in their tv and stream content by other providers, but the ability to do those things wouldn't exist to the same level without them.

When you pay the licence fee you are also paying for the continued development of technology that makes it easier for you to access better quality content in other ways and from other providers.

There's also plenty of other areas besides pure tv and radio where their research have advanced things (coding and programming, audio recording and acoustics etc).

• Like 4

Public broadcasting includes radio, television and other electronic media outlets whose primary mission is public service. In much of the world, funding comes from the government, especially via annual fees charged on receivers

Wiki

Its not just a British thing as some politicians would have you believe. Its a fairly accepted model across the world. Unless of course you happen to be Nigel Farage, The DUP, The ERG, other Tory throbbers Rupert Murdoch, any of the other dispicable Media Barons an on and on

It's only even in our thoughts because of the above named Twunts and their like. Yes every dog has it's day and is right once in a while but that many dogs having a good day all at once is unprecidented. If they all think scrapping the licence fee is a good idea, you can pretty much guarantee it isn't

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You could probably make a case that the shipping forecast saves multiple lives on a daily basis. 

I never use weather forecasts,I don't think I should have to pay the part of my taxes that goes to fund the Met Office

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

you can. As long as you are not watching BBC or watching/recording live broadcasts you do not need a license

And how exactly do you prove you haven’t watched it exactly.? Unless there is some kind of spyware on your tv how would they be able to prove you watched a bbc programme or not?

4 hours ago, bickster said:

The licence fee is not a subscription to the BBC as has been previously explained

It is a tv tax I agree but my point is they could scramble it and give ppl a choice.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It is a tv tax I agree but my point is they could scramble it and give ppl a choice.

Our public service broadcasting would either die overniight or the government would have to fund it. If the government funds it, it can never be the impatial BBC that we want it to return to being. Either way it dies and your life gets worse, whether you realise that right now or not

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Our public service broadcasting would either die overniight or the government would have to fund it. If the government funds it, it can never be the impatial BBC that we want it to return to being. Either way it dies and your life gets worse, whether you realise that right now or not

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It’s  not impartial though is it is bicks hence the name of the thread and wasn’t it you that named it that ;)

it wont have a impact on my life in the slightest as it does now. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

it wont have a impact on my life in the slightest as it does now. 

I'll wager it does. Do you listen to DAB radio?

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s  not impartial though is it is bicks hence the name of the thread and wasn’t it you that named it that ;)

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

it can never be the impatial BBC that we want it to return to being

I often wonder if you finish reading sentences

8 hours ago, bickster said:

I'll wager it does. Do you listen to DAB radio?

I often wonder if you finish reading sentences

Hardly ever

oh you mean the one that turned it’s head to paedophiles? 

I do wonder why your defend the bbc but then have slated the, in the subject title!

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hardly ever

oh you mean the one that turned it’s head to paedophiles? 

I do wonder why your defend the bbc but then have slated the, in the subject title!

Oh man, there’s no way to even respond to that

• Like 1

Dem you have been following this thread, it's been repeated many times that it's their political and news output that show bias, the last few pages have been about the quality of their programming, and people not wanting to pay the license fee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Oh man, there’s no way to even respond to that

Because its the truth. Savile? Anyway let's leave that there don't want to take this off subject 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Dem you have been following this thread, it's been repeated many times that it's their political and news output that show bias, the last few pages have been about the quality of their programming, and people not wanting to pay the license fee. 

We don't have to all be BBC fans I'm like a whole host of people that thinks the BBC sucks. I think the quality of programming is not for me.

I'm not stopping or critising anyone that likes BBC but don't make me believe the BBC is this great company when it's had it's fair share of scandals.

I'm also not saying I  don't like sky or any of little ruperts media empire either.

I like others don't watch much tv these days for the above reason. I prefer catchup services on Netflix and prime as opposed to the stuff on tv.

• Like 1

Â