The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

My word, Laura Kuenssberg really is special.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of asking the same question at the press conference. Today, with 3 questions from the public before her, she manages to just ask their question again.

The BBC are being robbed of a journalism salary. Does nobody at the BBC watch BBC News?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My word, Laura Kuenssberg really is special.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of asking the same question at the press conference. Today, with 3 questions from the public before her, she manages to just ask their question again.

The BBC are being robbed of a journalism salary. Does nobody at the BBC watch BBC News?

She even acknowledged that the person before her had asked the same question and then asked it again.

Laura, just write 5 questions and if someone asks one of them before you, cross it out. Job done

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She even acknowledged that the person before her had asked the same question and then asked it again.

Laura, just write 5 questions and if someone asks one of them before you, cross it out. Job done

I just don’t understand it, she gets hundreds and hundreds of people on twitter telling her how annoying and wasteful it is... then does it again. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just don’t understand it, she gets hundreds and hundreds of people on twitter telling her how annoying and wasteful it is... then does it again. 

She knows what she's doing. It's deliberate. Once she leaves the BBC she will end up with a Comms role with the government.  

The boring reality is that this is how 'pool reporting' works. She needs to ask the same question as other reporters already have, because the BBC need a clip for the news with her asking the question, not a reporter from a different channel/outlet.

It sucks, but that's just what it is. Press conferences are nearly always a waste of time, largely for this reason.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

I want to add to the above, as well, that this dynamic is not incidental to the reason why we have a daily press conference in the first place. The basic structure of these press conferences has been that, in the first part, a government minister or scientific advisor expounds on some aspect of the virus, which has been of mixed informational value (of course the government benefit from the inevitable comparison to the Trump circus over the pond), while the second is a press conference, inevitably featuring multiple renditions of the same few questions. This format allows the government to put forward their message essentially untroubled by meaningful scrutiny.

Of course, it doesn't have to be this way. Today, Johnson gave a statement to the House about coronavirus. It is the first statement he has made to the House on the subject, ever. It's only the second statement to the House he has made all year, and 9 months into his premiership, he still hasn't appeared before the Liaison Committee (Prime Ministers are due to appear at least annually to give evidence on matters of public policy). If he had given this 'stay alert' nonsense as a statement to the House, he would have faced vigorous questioning from both opposition MP's and his own backbenchers, but by conducting the government's public-facing response away from Parliament he is avoiding meaningful scrutiny.

Laura Kuenssberg is responsible for many bad things. I am Not A Fan. But there is a bigger issue of accountability here, and we shouldn't lose sight of it.

Lots of rumour circulating on social media that BBC4 is going to be axed. 

If this is true, I will be gutted, it probably accounts for about 90% of my broadcast TV viewing. Dumbing down at its worst. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lots of rumour circulating on social media that BBC4 is going to be axed. 

If this is true, I will be gutted, it probably accounts for about 90% of my broadcast TV viewing. Dumbing down at its worst. 

I’ve noticed over the last week or so R6 have been ramping up the praise and recommendations of music documentaries on BBC4 to try and get the PR war going.

They made an absolutely mind blowing error agreeing to the license fee changes. An error so basic, you’d have to consider if they were stitched up by an inside job.

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

She's unbelievable.

What's more unbelievable is the amount of people you see on Facebook saying how awful it is that she's always on the governments back - one of the loony left BBC's goons!

Jesus.

Universally hated? Some achievement that.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is pathetic

Almost definitely told to stay in their place by the Govt.

Yep, truly pathetic. Spineless management. To an extent I've disagreed with a lot of the what to me seems often like knee jerk criticism of the BBC and some of the journo's - in part because of programmes like Newsnight, but that, that statement...strewth.

What part of the opening was not a simple statement of fact?

I presume it was more a case it was an uncomfortable list of facts, and that simply won’t do.

But they also refuse to put up spokesmorons, so now they simply expect Newsnight to self censor by not repeating lists of facts.

Dem’s getting the strong government he’s been wanting.

I think Dominic has inadvertently brought about the beginning of the end for the BBC here. I don't think the treatment of Emily Maitlis is going to be so easily forgotten. Trust has been eroded further, the right don't think the BBC are being devoted enough to their leader, the left are convinced that the current affairs programs are under government control, I just can't see a way back out of this now.

Makes me sad 😔

Â