The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

22 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm not saying they are perfect, @Mic09 but aI've had BBC news on in the background for much of the last week and all the things you're saying are missing from their reporting have all been covered repeatedly. They are regularly updating from around the world and have boots on the ground in most countries. I've seen reports from all the majorly impacted countries and countless experts telling us how important an issue it is, giving advice on the urgency of self-isolation, updates on scientific research and calling out nob heads who aren't behaving. 

There's lots to criticise the BBC for but I think you're wide of the mark on this one. Go watch RT for 20 minutes and see if you think they're doing a good job. The times I've looked this weekend, COVID-19 isn't even their lead story.

Well, I'm originally from Poland and maybe I compare the BBC to the Polish media too much. So you could be right in comparing the BBC to other UK based media.

While my 'go to media' in the UK is the BBC, Polish news platforms (national and private) have been much more 'on it'. Every few minutes there is an update on numbers both diagnosed and deaths, and that is reflective in how people in the country have reacted to the pandemic. 

In UK, we have over 3k cases confirmed and there are people roaming the streets.

I think that they are simply poorly advised about the scale of all this and how it can affect them. 

EDIT: that is why I supported the PM when he said 'many people will lose their loved ones before their time'. It's time to make people aware sh*t is real. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

While my 'go to media' in the UK is the BBC, Polish news platforms (national and private) have been much more 'on it'. Every few minutes there is an update on numbers both diagnosed and deaths, and that is reflective in how people in the country have reacted to the pandemic. 

Yeah every 30 mins on Zlote Przeboje (I am not 60 years old I promise :D 

Edited by StefanAVFC

• 1 month later...

Thats a hell of a leap. You are looking for shadows where there aren’t any. This is a about bias that doesn't appear to exist in these reports. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thats a hell of a leap. You are looking for shadows where there aren’t any. This is a about bias that doesn't appear to exist in these reports. 

Conditioning of the mind to me.

As far as the stasi bit goes, yeah it was supposed to be provocative. 

So, see how it works.

Not a fan of the BBC then @VILLAMARV

I'm in the camp that the licence fee should be scrapped and it converted into a voluntary subscription service like Netflix/Amazon Prime. Instead of a forced taxation. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Not a fan of the BBC then @VILLAMARV

Lol.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm in the camp that the licence fee should be scrapped and it converted into a voluntary subscription service like Netflix/Amazon Prime. Instead of a forced taxation. 

It's genuinely painful to me to see it stoop so low. I used to hold it in high regard. Perhaps that's my fault, perception wise, rather than theirs. 

We have the Murdoch scum thread where remembering the awful homophobia and outright lies of the past is de-rigeur. I don't see how this rubbish is any better than the output of the S*n. 

Genuinely.

I think allowing/encouraging it to operate in the world of profit has reduced it to levels where clickbait headlines like those, designed to drag you in with outrage, is ok because it generates interaction or 'clicks' and that's the holy grail. 

What, ultimately, do the views of a few Brits matter though, if it can operate as a voice of reason in the internet age towards or within the American market? There's 323 million + of them. 

And the boiled frog analogy applies here imho. 

I must have said before in this thread I think we can trace it's demise back to the time Thatcher was broadsided on question time. When it was still live of course and when it still meant something. 

Has anyone ever thought about applying to be allowed in the audience for one of those things? The things they want to know and record in the name of balance are quite eye watering to someone of my sensibilities. 

Someone I know asked a question on there once. That's a different story, but what is the point in pre approved questions?

People think Piers Morgan is a good journalist for asking a politician a question? They should go back to the Robin Day era.

It's always had 'oversight' from the Lords. I get that. But it's a sad imitation of what it represented 30/40 years ago. 

Embedded journalism is a thing and we built a whole industry around it, including the teaching of state approved media studies in schools and universities in my era.

Rageh Omaar cottoned on during the gulf war II. His opinion of being embedded without realising it was, I think, rather telling of the state it finds itself in. 

The famous Noam Chomsky interview with Andrew Marr from back in the day also highlights this point. Imho. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

It's just breitbart now isn't it? 

No.

One thing I've noticed (and there's an example in the virus thread) is they "cater" (the Beeb I mean) for a wide range of people. So the example in the virus thread is the Newsnight man doing a lot of stuff on care home horrors. And then you get the website questions you posted - stuff to which the answer is "Durrr!". I think they're catering for casual tabloidy internet browser people o nthe one hand, and broadsheety type Newsnight viewers on a different level. You or I might not like it and wish that they just did the in depth, authoritative, critical stuff. But others will never watch newsnight, or clips of it, and just "consume" low rent click and leave articles.

There's an argument to say the beeb should leave that area to the tabloids and their websites, I suppose, and just do serious stuff.

Comparing the BBC to Breitbart is (and no offence intended) **** moronic. And to be less flippant, it still scores highly on Trust, higher than all the other news outlets. And that excludes all the nature, sport, music, culture, comedy, drama, radio, Kids stuff, science...

Their news coverage is to me, mixed at best. But whose isn't?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I don’t agree for many reasons.

The BBC is far from perfect but what other broadcaster makes  high quality comedy programmes ,great dramas  etc great arts programmes brilliant radio stations radio 4,2,5 and 6 music, local radio stations for £160 a year.

It makes a lot of crap as well .

I want a broadcaster to make programmes that aren’t all about viewing figures.

Although it’s polical coverage can be critised for me in the Brexit debate it was critised by both sides and that is a sign it’s not doing too bad.

Amazon Prime -what a load of crap for £80 a year -no thanks.

That's fair enough, people will have different opinions on it and that's cool. You' d pay for it and by the sound of it, you'd pay more than £160 per year. I wouldn't. The TV they make is ok. Agreed some great dramas every now and again (love Luther, Line of Duty and Sherlock). Comedy? The odd gem here and there, plenty of shit made as well.

I'm not fussed on the radio side as I never listen to it. Most of its primetime TV shows are just dross like Strictly, the Voice and other z-listers trying to boost their own profile or endless repeats of quiz shows like Pointless. If it went to voluntary subscription, i'd dip in and out it every few months like I do with other services. 

How much would you pay a year for it? 

Â