The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

Ok I'll spell it out for you. I don't think that the BBC is biased one way of another. 

Haha, quite frankly this is absurd. From the way they pick Question Time audiences (and panels) to their political editor almost giving Johnson's johnson a good polish every interview via Corbyn's photoshopped Russian hat with the Kremlin in the background the bias is there in plain sight.

You might prefer it's political bias but don't let that fool you into thinking it's chartered impartiality hasn't be utterly smashed to pieces.

Tell us of the stories / programmes / investigations they've done in the last five years that have been biased towards the left? I mean that genuinely because from my perspective, they amount to none.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Egx2y7_WsAA8GMI?format=jpg&name=small

In a weird way I agree with the idea that the comedy output of BBC is bias towards the left wing. As is the comedy output of most media because it's so easy to poke fun at Brexit and Trump etc.

What I don't agree with is that it needs fixing. And even if it does need fixing, it's hardly the top priority is it?!

They constantly aim jokes at the tories because...they're the government. What's the point in taking the piss out of the opposition, they can't do anything, and most people don't know who a lot of the opposition frontbenchers are!

What's Jim Davidson up to these days? If he's busy maybe they could get Stewart Lee back on to do some more of his anti-Islamic standup.

Edited by Davkaus

What even is the BBC's political comedy on television, apart from Have I Got News For You, a show that a] they don't produce themselves but buy from a production company, and b] is most famous for helping launch the big time political career of our Conservative PM?

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What even is the BBC's political comedy on television, apart from Have I Got News For You, a show that a] they don't produce themselves but buy from a production company, and b] is most famous for helping launch the big time political career of our Conservative PM?

Frankie Boyle's New World Order. Stewart Lee's Programme had plenty of political stuff in it on immigration, Brexit, Islamophobia etc. The Mash report is lefty. There's also stuff on the radio (e.g Mark Steel). The BBC as an entity isn't (as @TreeVillan said "biased" one way or the other, but what it is, is different aspects or programmes are slanted, perhaps, one way or the other. The News coverage on TV appears insufficiently enquiring of Government actions and decisions and policies in some respects.Comedy is biased to the left (largely because it punches up).

I don't have a problem with a percentage of the BBC output being produced by outside production companies. The UK is quite good in this area - countless small media companies have been helped by getting commissions from the National broadcaster. Not just current affairs, but comedy, music, nature etc. etc.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

Frankie Boyle's New World Order. Stewart Lee's Programme had plenty of political stuff in it on immigration, Brexit, Islamophobia etc. The Mash report is lefty.

Of those three things, Stewart Lee's programme has been off television for about half a decade and I've literally never heard of the other two, but I'll take your word for it.

The Mash Report is very left. Nish Kumar properly lays into the government.

Boyle's NWO was very centrist. It attacked Labour and the Tories in equal measure. It had almost an entire episode dedicated to attacking Corbyn over antisemitism taking only David Baddiel's word for what was happening.

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Boyle's NWO was very centrist

!!!! I really don't think so. Attacking Tories and Labour, or attacking AS doesn't make someone, or something centrist. For example, I dunno, Jeremy Corbyn used to attack Labour and the Tories about War when he was a backbencher - does that make him centrist? Baroness Warsi has attacked Tories (over Islamophobia) and Labour over all sorts - does that make her centrist? Frankie Boyle is definitely pretty left wing.

Funny how people see things differently. Anyway, it's back on Thursday for a new run. And no doubt it's on the youtubes for people to make up their own minds.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

!!!! I really don't think so. Attacking Tories and Labour, or attacking AS doesn't make someone, or something centrist. For example, I dunno, Jeremy Corbyn used to attack Labour and the Tories about War when he was a backbencher - does that make him centrist? Baroness Warsi has attacked Tories (over Islamophobia) and Labour over all sorts - does that make her centrist? Frankie Boyle is definitely pretty left wing.

Funny how people see things differently. Anyway, it's back on Thursday for a new run. And no doubt it's on the youtubes for people to make up their own minds.

I'm sorry I think this is a bit of a bizarre take.

Corbyn was *in* the Labour party when attacking Labour over Iraq. Baroness Warsi was *in* the Tory party when attacking them over Islamophobia. AFAIK Boyle isn't a member of a political party.

Boyle is left wing, yes. NWO attacked Labour and Tories in equal measure therefore must have been by definition in the centre.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

NWO attacked Labour and Tories in equal measure therefore must have been by definition in the centre

It's a side issue, but for example Farage attacked the Tories and Labour in equal measure - does that make him centrist? But on FB - it seemed to me he attacked/satirised tories for being, well, tories - baby eaters, and he attacked Labour for specific single aspects - anti-semitism being the prime example, but not for their political stance, which he kind of more endorsed in his attacks on the tories. It was kid of like the tories are horrible because [all the reasons we know] and Labour's not doing a very good job of opposing them. That's not "centrist".

Â