Racism Part two

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know nothing about that specific incident, it was a more general comment. I think I’d be quite unlucky to collapse a trial and face punishment for that.

Yes, I agree we'd be very unlucky to collapse the trial on here, especially when there are seemingly far-right groups making a much more public noise about it. But in my view it's just a conversation that doesn't benefit anybody.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

When a Muslim person attempts to behead a non-Muslim person it generally has very specific connotations that involve the victim not being Muslim.

And the evidence for this particular incident for this is where?

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

The fact a few people on here had no idea about it does suggest it hasn’t received the level of coverage you might expect, for such a heinous crime. 

Plenty have demonstrated how well-publicized it was. You also made a totally unfounded, completely anecdotal comment that it's being covered up. 

I agree it wasn’t covered up, but pretty much all of us incredibly intelligent individuals in this forum were unaware of it.

A straight forward 7 year old girl murdered in a park should have been big news. It does seem to have been played down somewhat, for some reason, to the point few people knew it happened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And the evidence for this particular incident for this is where?

Plenty have demonstrated how well-publicized it was. You also made a totally unfounded, completely anecdotal comment that it's being covered up. 

I stated clearly my old housemate lives by the park where this happened in the Bolton area, that he told me there was a racial element to it, and that it is being downplayed in the local area to avoid stoking community tensions. We spoke on messenger, I haven’t taken a formal statement from him. 

Take or leave what you want from that, I’m really not concerned about your opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree it wasn’t covered up, but pretty much all of us incredibly intelligent individuals in this forum were unaware of it.

A straight forward 7 year old girl murdered in a park should have been big news. It does seem to have been played down somewhat, for some reason, to the point few people knew it happened.

Few people on here knew there had been a 30 plus years campaign to get rid of the Colston statue.

I think quite a few of us on here over estimate the number of people that digest any ‘news’ never mind retain it or look further in to it.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was big news. It was in all the papers. It was on every news website. 

It just wasn't as big news as a global pandemic and an unprecedented national lockdown which was announced at the same time that the murder was being reported on.

It's not a conspiracy that people paid more attention to the pandemic stuff.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It just wasn't as big news as a global pandemic and an unprecedented national lockdown which was announced at the same time that the murder was being reported on.

It's not a conspiracy that people paid more attention to the pandemic stuff.

It could be that it was dwarfed by the Covid situation but if you compare to the coverage of Rhys Jones, Sarah Payne, Maddie McCann, James Bulger etc I’m surprised this passed so many people by. 
There has been several other big stories that have captured peoples attentions alongside the pandemic over the past few months.

Just now, Genie said:

It could be that it was dwarfed by the Covid situation but if you compare to the coverage of Rhys Jones, Sarah Payne, Maddie McCann, James Bulger etc I’m surprised this passed so many people by. 
There has been several other big stories that have captured peoples attentions alongside the pandemic over the past few months.

I didn't know about it

I suspect the media didn’t make to much of it because it’s NOT racially motivated.  The suspect is mentally ill and happens to be muslim. It’s a tragic incidence. 

Had she been shouting Allah Akbar and there was no report or mental illness. I think a lot more people would know about it. It wouldn’t even surprise me if a terrorist organisation such as ISIS would take credit for it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

What else "captured peoples attention" during the 24 hours around the time that lockdown was announced?

Which is when this event occurred.

It just seems a bit weirdly hubristic to go with "this widely reported thing happened, but it's somebody else's fault that I didn't know about it"

Edited by ml1dch

18 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What else "captured peoples attention" during the 24 hours around the time that lockdown was announced?

Which is when this event occurred.

It just seems a bit weirdly hubristic to go with "this widely reported thing happened, but it's somebody else's fault that I didn't know about it"

If it was widely reported then it wouldn’t have passed 90+% of people by. 
It could be it was dwarfed by lockdown (even though the papers on the 23rd did have some other stories on the front page too) but still I find it surprising just how little coverage it got compared to comparable murders.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I stated clearly my old housemate lives by the park where this happened in the Bolton area, that he told me there was a racial element to it, and that it is being downplayed in the local area to avoid stoking community tensions. We spoke on messenger, I haven’t taken a formal statement from him. 

Take or leave what you want from that, I’m really not concerned about your opinion. 

I believe you. I see no reason why you would make it up. Whether the information is correct or not is a differnet subject. A typical reply cover up comment id just ignore it mate. Any excuse to jump on someone when they dont share your opinion to make themself look like a hero.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I know I'm in the North West, but it's been covered. It's on my iPad News app thingy, it's been on the telly news, radio...etc.

FWIW, someone suggested it may be being kept a bit lower key (I dunno if it is) because of the risk of inflaming racist whoppers to do their vile stuff. I'd have no problem with that. That the whoppers will then try to exploit or spread rumours about it being censored is kind of a sad given. But these whoppers jump on stuff if it's true/untrue/hidden/in the open. It's what the bell ends do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure which tread this should go in, sums up the world I guess.

GEORGE FLOYD MAN WANTS RIGHTS TO HIS NAME ...Big Plans For Hollywood?!?

George Floyd's name could be worth a lot of money in the entertainment business ... and now one man is looking to lock up the rights to his name for movies and TV shows.

According to new legal docs, obtained by TMZ, a man named Munemo Mushonga filed a trademark application to use the name George Floyd in the "production and distribution of television shows and movies."

It seems Mushonga is looking to capitalize on the Black Lives Matter movement that sprouted up in the wake of Floyd's killing, because he has no known connection to George's family and wouldn't tell us his grand plans.

Mushonga was mum when we asked him what he hoped to gain from the trademark, if approved, and refused to divulge why he filed the application or the inspiration behind it.

The guy could be facing an uphill battle in his quest to lock up the rights to George Floyd's name ... the United States Patent and Trademark Office generally doesn't allow trademarks for people's names unless certain conditions are met, such as getting the consent of the person, the name being very unique, or the name being part of a unique and widely recognized brand.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/11/george-floyd-trademark-application-rights-name-movies-television-shows/

Â