Racism Part two

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

They got 11,000 signatures on the end, or 2% of Bristol’s population. For context, 35,000 signed a petition against building a new Tesco Metro.

It doesn’t seem there was an overwhelming public desire to pull down the statue.

FYI there was a time before internet signatures and stuff that has been discussed for nearly 30 years tends to have less of a 'call to arms' effect when an online petition is created.

It doesn't matter what it 'seems; to you, there was.

Source - I'm from just outside Bristol.

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

FYI there was a time before internet signatures and stuff that has been discussed for nearly 30 years tends to have less of a 'call to arms' effect when an online petition is created.

It doesn't matter what it 'seems; to you, there was.

Source - I'm from just outside Bristol.

Fair enough, just saying a bit of evidence is always nice to have. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

was he I don't know much about him. 

To be fair it's not quite that cut and dry. I think there are people that argue both sides.

So he said this:

In 1939 Baden-Powell wrote in his diary: "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organisation etc. – and ideals which Hitler does not practise himself."

...and the scouts uniforms used to have swastikas.

The swastika was removed once it was in more widespread use by the Nazis and you can argue the above quote may not support any of Hitler's more 'controversial' ideas (although it ignore them).

Maybe there is a debate to be had on him, but it's not that surprising he's being targeted and there's more to it than just 'the founder of the scout movement' being targeted.

Just now, ml1dch said:

One might even say then the debate that these incidents are creating is a positive, educational thing, no?

Funnily enough it made me learn the other side as I'd heard before he sympathised with Hitler, but hadn't realised it is rather more nuanced and disputed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

...and the scouts uniforms used to have swastikas.

The swastika was removed once it was in more widespread use by the Nazis

And it was the original, left-facing swastika. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially not at the time.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And it was the original, left-facing swastika. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially not at the time.

We should probably disband the Scout movement and burn all the uniforms just to be on the safe side. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is that a PS job? 

It’s the little girl from Bolton, Emily Jones. A Muslim lady grabbed her in a park on Mother’s Day and tried to behead her with a knife. Obviously she died. Trial is ongoing at the moment but the media aren’t really reporting it. 

Pretty foul that this lot are trying to weaponise it.

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Second question. What's this annoying trend with capitilizing every other letter ?

Damn it, first time I ever use it and I get rightfully called on it! 

I'm not that Internet literate so may be a bit off but it's used for nonsensical statements. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s the little girl from Bolton, Emily Jones. A Muslim lady grabbed her in a park on Mother’s Day and tried to behead her with a knife. Obviously she died. Trial is ongoing at the moment but the media aren’t really reporting it. 

Pretty foul that this lot are trying to weaponise it.

Sad isn't it. The worst thing is the guys whipping up the anger are well aware most of those cases have gagging orders to avoid prejudice. 

Â