Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

It's perfect. That's how you respond to these people. No more pussyfooting and concern trolling. Tell us how you really feel. If you really want to say it, just say it!

Maybe they don’t want to say it and they also don’t want to hear it?

Perhaps everybody should stop using the word? Or any racially offensive word for that matter?

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Perhaps everybody should stop using the word? Or any racially offensive word for that matter?

I agree with you about a lot of the use in music, but if it's being used to make a point it's different. In terms of use among friends then I simply don't feel it's my place to say as I'm someone who's never had any discriminatory word thrown at me in anger.

As a wider argument about reclaiming words it's interesting. I found myself explaining to my dad over Christmas that 'queer' is no longer an offensive word as people who would have been called it in the past decided to use it to get rid of the stigma.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Black people get to decide if they can use it and also whether or not they're offended by it tbh.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I was speaking to one of my black friends earlier who was at the march last week (And yes I did bollock him for attending for covid reasons as his old fella is not at well) his view is that the BLM movement should distance themselves as far away as possible from Antifa, he said they were stirring up hatred to create a white black divide that does not exist and also induce violence on the March, His point is why are they there, he asked one and apparently he said to stop racism mate and he replied what on earth do you know about racism or have to do with BLM and did not get a response

@snowychap what is so amusing ??  

The question isn’t about whether they can use it or not. Of course they can. I’m asking whether they should?  

I had a common racist word used at me all my years growing up. We don’t use it on each other, we certainly don’t use it in front of other people.  I know it’s nowhere near the same as the N word with what it represents and the history behind it.  But it just doesn’t make sense to me why it gets used to much. 

Maybe in time these words could get phased out and not be used by anyone?  No strong opinions here btw, just general discussion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

@snowychap what is so amusing ??  

Not speaking for snowy but for myself, my gut reaction, was ‘didn’t happen’.

I could be wrong, I’m a big fan of anecdotes myself. But it’s difficult to have a conversation where someone has ‘my friend said’ as part of the discussion.

• Like 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Not speaking for snowy but for myself, my gut reaction, was ‘didn’t happen’.

I could be wrong, I’m a big fan of anecdotes myself. But it’s difficult to have a conversation where someone has ‘my friend said’ as part of the discussion.

I can’t really comment because I’m white and he’s black and  I was not there. Sam told me what he told me. I’ve known the bloke 35 years and trust him like a brother. He is adamant that this is the case and I believe him ahead of some person laughing at his quote because he does fit whatever perception Of someone who was not present viewpoint

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I can’t really comment because I’m white and he’s black and  I was not there. Sam told me what he told me. I’ve known the bloke 35 years and trust him like a brother. He is adamant that this is the case and I believe him ahead of some person laughing at his quote because he does fit whatever perception Of someone who was not present viewpoint

No, I wasn’t questioning whether Sam the black friend was lying. It was more whether he existed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

He laughs at everyone of my posts. I never realised I was such a funny person. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

No, I wasn’t questioning whether Sam the black friend was lying. It was more whether he existed.

PM me your email address and I’ll put you in touch 

Edited by Follyfoot

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

PM me your email address and I’ll put you in touch 

No, that’s getting silly.

I’m saying, if I countered it with I also have a black friend and he said he was happy to finally have white people along on the march and it showed some progress was finally being made, it’s just an anecdote that sounds too convenient a fit for my point.

• Like 2

Slavers to Gladstone, Gladstone to Baden-Powell, to Ant and Dec, the Inbetweeners and now Fawlty Towers.. In less than a week. 😂 

This is absolute genius and the people backing it should get free ‘I love Boris’ t-shirts. They’re pulling  him out of the biggest hole a government ever dug itself. Clown world. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m saying, if I countered it with I also have a black friend and he said he was happy to finally have white people along on the march and it showed some progress was finally being made, it’s just an anecdote that sounds too convenient a fit for my point.

Funnily enough, I do have a black friend who literally said "I am happy to finally have white people along on the march and it shows some progress is finally being made". Verbatim.

Happy to help. 

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, that’s getting silly.

But the thing i have no point, I’m just telling you what he said. As stated I believe him, For the record his old fella used to stand In the left-hand corner of the Holte  With a load of his Rastafarian mates

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

...the Inbetweeners...

The international broadcast rights have recently changed, meaning it's been removed from YouTube. And is still available to watch everywhere that has the right to show it.

Keep those culture war fires burning though. 

• Like 4

Â