Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Interestingly I have noticed that Chinese people who migrate to a new country will often give themselves a new name that better ‘blends in’ with local names. 

Like Jiantong Xia calling himself ‘Tony’ Xia when he moved to buy Aston Villa. 

I would assume that would help with their prospects in a country. 

18 minutes ago, peterw said:

To be honest that you have to find examples and stats to back up your argument baffles me. Surely anyone, everyone, accepts that systemic racism is everywhere and not just in the heads of agitators?

Well some people have the cognitive dissidence to claim it is just poverty that causes societies problems without wondering why certain social groups are more likely to experience poverty than others. 

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well some people have the cognitive dissidence to claim it is just poverty that causes societies problems without wondering why certain social groups are more likely to experience poverty than others. 

Not sure if you are aware there is a lot of poverty amongest white communities as well, as well as asian.

Edited by Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Interestingly I have noticed that Chinese people who migrate to a new country will often give themselves a new name that better ‘blends in’ with local names. 

Like Jiantong Xia calling himself ‘Tony’ Xia when he moved to buy Aston Villa. 

I would assume that would help with their prospects in a country. 

I work with a lot of Chinese people who are in China, they all have have a “Anglo” name like Jay, or Mike or Annie. It seems to be a cultural thing because they know we struggle to pronounce their official names rather than to improve their prospects.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

An Indian Secretary of State and Chancellor of the Exchequer does suggest there is some truth in that. Unless Indians have it easier than other ethnic minorities? 

The issue is that exceptions don't give a good overall picture.

Much like a few women in the boardroom or people from poor backgrounds getting rich and successful, some people doing it doesn't mean that everyone can or that there are not structural issues that increase barriers for some groups as you rightly suggest below.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It does. But it can also be a positive sign of barriers being broken down.

The situation is a lot more complex for the black community.

I think that both of those comments are right.

The UK is a vastly different country overall to thirty years ago with regard to race and a lot more but, at least in pockets, it hasn't changed much and, perhaps, in the last few years has taken a few steps backward (the 'white Britain/Britain for whites' idea has certainly resurfaced in a few areas and I didn't hear much of that kind of line other than from your dyed-in-the-wool supremacists from the early 1990s until relatively recently)

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I work with a lot of Chinese people who are in China, they all have have a “Anglo” name like Jay, or Mike or Annie. It seems to be a cultural thing because they know we struggle to pronounce their official names rather than to improve their prospects.

Yes but those two things are linked aren’t they. For example, a Chinese person could take the stance that ‘this is my name, I’m proud of it and if you have trouble pronouncing it that’s your ignorance and your problem!’ but instead a lot of them take what most of us would consider to be an extreme step of taking a whole new name. I don’t think any of us would consider taking a new name if we moved abroad, even to somewhere like China or Japan.  

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes but those two things are linked aren’t they. For example, a Chinese person could take the stance that ‘this is my name, I’m proud of it and if you have trouble pronouncing it that’s your ignorance and your problem!’ but instead a lot of them take what most of us would consider to be an extreme step of taking a whole new name. I don’t think any of us would consider taking a new name if we moved abroad, even to somewhere like China or Japan.  

I don’t think it’s an official name, just on emails and in phone calls. Not that big a deal. Some do stick to their Chinese name too. 

1 hour ago, peterw said:

For a start there isn't an 'Indian' Chancellor or an 'Indian' home Secretary. There's a pair of clearings in the woods but that's a different argument. To label them as being 'indian' is lazy and the kind of casual racism that allows the mind to label and therefore presuppose and judge others. They are not Indian and we should be careful to avoid falling into that trap.

Can we call them brown?  I know many people that have called them coconuts. 🤦🏽‍♂️

I do know what you mean though. There may come a day where the colour of high profile positions are irrelevant.  But as we were talking about people in the  BAME community not getting opportunities I think it was relevant to bring up.  Even though it’s the exception rather than the norm. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Just noticed my eBay app has a black theme today, I assume this is BLM matter thing. If it is then I think it’s gone a bit far now. 

Why is that too far? Google changes its theme during national holidays, Independence Day, memorial day, VE Day etc. Ebay us changes its colours for other national holidays too.

If such minutia is so annoying I suggest a change of perspective. I'm not sure of your age, but do you remember the front pages of our national papers for in example Tienanmen Square or 9/11? Showing support should not be off putting to anyone. 

Edited by magnkarl

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Why is that too far? Google changes its theme during national holidays, Independence Day, memorial day, VE Day etc. Ebay us changes its colours for other national holidays too.

If such minutia is so annoying I suggest a change of perspective. I'm not sure of your age, but do you remember the front pages of our national papers for in example Tienanmen Square or 9/11? Showing support should not be off putting to anyone. 

If eBay support it then great, I do too. It just feels a bit gimmicky and trying to cream some positive PR off the situation whilst forcing the theme on its customers. They should just do a social media announcement, or ad if they want to make it clear where they stand on it. 

Its not the same as newspapers at all.

Just now, Genie said:

If eBay support it then great, I do too. It just feels a bit gimmicky and trying to cream some positive PR off the situation whilst forcing the theme on its customers. They should just do a social media announcement, or ad if they want to make it clear where they stand on it. 

Its not the same as newspapers at all.

Really? I think tabloid newspapers and google\FB\ebay have a lot in common. Back then we all read papers, these days eBay\google\FB is a lot more read and interacted with than papers. Of course they have a responsibility to their gazillion users. Sadly our society does not get small gestures anymore - this campaign from eBay has got you noticing which is good, hopefully it's an indication that other people will notice too.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think it’s an official name, just on emails and in phone calls. Not that big a deal. Some do stick to their Chinese name too. 

Two of my best mates are chinese. They both have English names (which we've always known them by) and Chinese names. Even though they were both born in England.

The origins of doing that for Chinese people might be because of it being too hard to pronounce names or to Anglocise them (I genuinely don't know).

But now it's very much a cultural thing. It's just what everyone does.

• Like 1

Rolling back a few dozen pages, but it's all a bit "values of the Carphone Warehouse", for me.

I don't think it's a bad thing for companies to throw their voices behind it, necessarily, I just don't believe it has any sincerity. It's like all of these companies that have been putting rainbow flags on their products. No M&S, I don't believe equality for LGBT people was what really drove you to charge £4 for your shit rainbow themed sandwich.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just noticed my eBay app has a black theme today, I assume this is BLM matter thing. If it is then I think it’s gone a bit far now. 

You might just have it on dark mode...

(That's not some weird racist joke :D They're genuinely rolling out a dark mode at the moment I believe)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Really?

Yes. Newspapers exist to give people the news, and mood of the day. 
eBay is a platform for buying stuff you often don’t really need. I’d personally rather it wasn’t politicised like this, I think it’s unnecessary. I don’t think eBay need to make people aware of it this huge movement, neither should they do it.

Â