Racism Part two

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s the little girl from Bolton, Emily Jones. A Muslim lady grabbed her in a park on Mother’s Day and tried to behead her with a knife. Obviously she died. Trial is ongoing at the moment but the media aren’t really reporting it. 

Pretty foul that this lot are trying to weaponise it.

Was this not big news when it happened then because I don't remember it?  I don't want these BF clearings in the woods given any ammunition.  

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Sad isn't it. The worst thing is the guys whipping up the anger are well aware most of those cases have gagging orders to avoid prejudice. 

I think the worst thing was a little girl having her throat slit in what was probably a racially motivated murder. But I take your point. 

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Was this not big news when it happened then because I don't remember it?  I don't want these BF clearings in the woods given any ammunition.  

Same here, I’d never heard of this story yet a young girl having her head almost cut off should have been massive.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

My old housemate from uni lives next to the park where it happened, he says it’s been kept very quiet to avoid ‘stoking tensions’. 

Just now, Awol said:

My old housemate from uni lives next to the park where it happened, he says it’s been kept very quiet to avoid ‘stoking tensions’. 

This isn't right is it, and it fuels the argument of the BF types.

• Like 2

On the statues thing, the history today weekly article reflect on that. It's not a radical article, but covers - very briefly - arguments for and against pulling them down either side of looking at Belgium's use of them - before coming down in favour of consigning no longer relevant symbols to the past. 

https://www.historytoday.com/archive/behind-times/statues-politics-and-past?utm_source=Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=ac60c2073c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_20_COPY_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fceec0de95-ac60c2073c-589761&mc_cid=ac60c2073c&mc_eid=43ee614986

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

There's a wikipedia page with a number of references to newspaper reports.

Here's one from a couple of weeks ago after the initial court appearance:

A woman accused of murdering a young girl in a park could go on trial in the autumn.

Eltiona Skana, 30, appeared before a judge at Manchester Crown Court after being charged with the murder of Emily Jones, following an incident in Queen's Park, Bolton.

Prosecuting, Michael Brady said that Emily, aged seven, was 'fatally wounded' on Mother’s Day, March 22.

Ms Skana appeared in court via video link.

No pleas to the two counts she faces, murder and possession of a knife, were entered.

A trial would potentially last up to two weeks, the court was told. It was fixed for November 23.

Ms Skana, of Ernest Street in Bolton, will next appear before the same court for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

Judge Richard Mansell QC told Ms Skana the case would be next heard for that hearing on September 15.

...more

I'm not sure that it's 'not really being reported on'. It doesn't seem as there's much to report.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

I know they're just cynically weaponizing it to push their agenda but to even give them a shred of cause bad.

Can the press be banned from reporting certain things?  Surely the Sun/Mail/Express would love to report something like this?

Anecdotes and conjecture based on racial attacks and the covering up of it, on either side, are so wildly inappropriate. 

it's awful what happened to that poor girl but I don't think it's appropriate to speculate on the rationale behind the murder or whether the authorities are covering it up for racial reasons (wholly based on hearsay from a bloke who lives near the park). I mean, come on guys.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I’d like to think we’d learned the lessons of downplaying some crime so people don’t jump to any racial profiling conclusions.

A crime is a crime.

Whilst I’m at it, anybody that think police are going to prison for murdering black people in the U.S. is deluded. They are going to prison (potentially) because they got and the resultant protests and violence forced the establishment not to ignore it.

Said it a few times now, it’s only when you damage property that the authorities take people seriously. Otherwise, you’ll get the promise of someone in the future possibly setting up a commission to look in to a carefully worded specific scope of something that doen’t quite actually get around to doing much. Not for a few decades anyway.

I couldn’t give a shit that statue ended up in the dock, that puts me on the same side as the Mayor of Bristol and the head of the police in Bristol.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Awol said:

Has it really been kept that quiet?

The original report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-51999370

A seven-year-old girl has died after being stabbed by a stranger in a park.

Her mother's comments a few days later:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-52040433

The parents of a seven-year-old girl stabbed to death by a stranger in a park said she had a "heart as big as her smile".

A report that a memorial garden is being established:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-52222752

A memorial garden is being set up to honour a seven-year-old girl who was stabbed to death in a park.

A report that a suspect has been charged with the murder:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-52739911

A woman has been charged with the murder of a seven-year-old girl who was stabbed in a park on Mother's Day.

And at that point, surely reporting restrictions kick in? If they were trying to keep it quiet, they've not done the best job.

Besides, there has been quite a lot of "other news" around the same time which is going to take up peoples' capacity. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Only what my mate told me, as discussed f’all is being reported in the press. 

Okay, but . . . it seems to me like the best thing to do would be to wait for the trial on this, which is coming in the autumn. The only actual facts that appear to be in the public domain are that a 30 year old Albanian woman was arrested at the scene and detained under the Mental Health Act. I'm sure the prosecution will explore the question of motivation during the trial.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d like to think we’d learned the lessons of downplaying some crime so people don’t jump to any racial profiling conclusions.

A crime is a crime.

I'm not saying it isn't, just that it's good to be cautious about making big assumptions in a semi-public forum about ongoing legal proceedings.

Fits a very defined narrative that crime on white people by non-whites is covered up.  Surprising to see this particular theory peddled on here, based on 'my mate said' only.

It's a sinister form of whataboutism really.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying it isn't, just that it's good to be cautious about making big assumptions in a semi-public forum about ongoing legal proceedings.

I know nothing about that specific incident, it was a more general comment. I think I’d be quite unlucky to collapse a trial and face punishment for that.

But yes, I get what you’re saying and it goes for all cases, including the 4 police in the U.S. you can’t ever know all the facts until after the case is heard. 

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is there a basis for assuming that?

Is there a basis that it wasn't ?

As you say in your followed post better to wait for the trial 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Fits a very defined narrative that crime on white people by non-whites is covered up.  Surprising to see this particular theory peddled on here, based on 'my mate said' only.

It's a sinister form of whataboutism really.

Whataboutism how? That racist crime isn’t a one-way Street? I think Rotherham et al collapsed that argument.

When a Muslim person attempts to behead a non-Muslim person it generally has very specific connotations that involve the victim not being Muslim.

That’s not an attack on Muslim people as a group, it’s a factual description of past examples of the same crime. I agree it’s sinister, but not for the reasons you imply. 

The fact a few people on here had no idea about it does suggest it hasn’t received the level of coverage you might expect, for such a heinous crime. 

Â