Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

its on the GoFundMe page

Okay, thanks-ish, but a] that isn't what Awol said, I've been looking on the Black Lives Matter website, and b] there are lots of Black Lives Matter GoFundMe pages, often representing different chapters. Are you talking about the Black Lives Matter UK GoFundMe at this address?: https://uk.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

How many times in the uk has that happened in the last 12 months?

Because they're in the UK, they can't show their support for the cause? 

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Admittedly the more I thought about it, the more I think Little Britain was pretty racist. Its all been removed from Youtube but Ting Tong, Linda the University Receptionist. Moderately shocking now.

I thought that was the idea behind the 'Little Britain' name, like the term 'Little Englander' for the bit-racist Brexiter types and using the stereotypes to laugh at how ridiculous it is. Maybe I'm looking too much into the social commentary aspect of it as it's hardly the deepest of shows. 

I'm more worried about what they do to Shooting Stars tbh

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, thanks-ish, but a] that isn't what Awol said, I've been looking on the Black Lives Matter website, and b] there are lots of Black Lives Matter GoFundMe pages, often representing different chapters. Are you talking about the Black Lives Matter UK GoFundMe at this address?: https://uk.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Yes that's the one, I must admit I was confused by the differences on the website as to that page. Maybe they a radical section of the movement. 

• Like 1

Defunding the police, particularly in the US, is no bad thing. The idea is that the police have basically become the all purpose tool for every problem in society, with funding being funnelled into it in never ending supply. Which in turn had lead to the police getting increasingly expensive militaristic gear (and on some cases literally ex-army gear).

It's better to divert funds into other initiatives, groups, organisations etc and reduce the purview of the police back to what they're intended to do, and let the things they aren't so great at, like handling mental health issues etc etc. Turn the police into a precise tool, not a hammer that sees all the world as nails.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Maybe its me , but I always thought they were laughing at peoples prejudice ,  peoples perception of gay people , fat people , foreign people , Tory MP's in most cases ? 

It took just about every stereotype and turned it against the people using it   ...... to use VT's favourite insult , the Gammons were probably more offended by little Britain than anyone else  ?

it may be viewed as not of its time now , but I don't personally believe it was written with any intent to be racist

is that 4/4 posts I agree with you on lately? Maybe you're softening, or I'm becoming more like Boris. Who knows :P 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just having a look at other ones, that's the one that has had the most support by far. Unless you know of other that have received nearly £1 mil 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you point to where, on their website, you have got those three ideas? Especially the first and third ones.

On the website under the “what we believe“ tab:

“We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children”

Marxism 101: disrupt existing powers structures and sources of resistance to the new authority/movement etc. 

Defunding the police is a banner headline on their site. What replaces the police? The new authority/movement etc. The self-appointed leaders of the mob - see Seattle for how that’s working out.

on capitalism their position is that capitalism is racist because it perpetuates the existing system of oppression. They’re more coy about that on their website, talking about ‘economic injustice’ reform of the ‘financial system’ etc. 

The UKBLM go fund me page is more direct in their overtly Marxist agenda:

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes that's the one, I must admit I was confused by the differences on the website as to that page. Maybe they a radical section of the movement. 

Thanks. I don't know all that much about how BLM is organised, but from what I can tell it is quite decentralised, with different chapters in different cities and countries, which can potentially have somewhat different aims, or at least emphases.

I know I'm going to be accused of being pedantic here, but I do think it's an important difference: Awol spoke of 'overthow[ing] capitalism', whereas this GoFundMe says 'We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world' [emphasis mine], and I think there's a meaningful distinction between the words 'overthrow' (which sounds violent to me) and 'dismantle', which does not (or at least not necessarily). If someone told me they were 'dismantling' a grandfather clock, I wouldn't immediately assume they were doing it with a baseball bat.

28 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

There's so much "Yeah racism is wrong, but..." in this thread. I'm finding it a bit embarrassing. 

Probably because we live in a mostly non racist country that see's good and bad as just that and not being driven by race ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Clarry said:

The mob? The grievances are very real.

There are a lot of very real grievances, I don't personally think some rather dated comedy that causes offence is one of them.

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Like police not murdering black civilians for starters.

Agreed. I think that’s why those four officers are going to prison. 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Maybe its me , but I always thought they were laughing at peoples prejudice ,  peoples perception of gay people , fat people , foreign people , Tory MP's in most cases ? 

It took just about every stereotype and turned it against the people using it   ...... to use VT's favourite insult , the Gammons were probably more offended by little Britain than anyone else  ?

it may be viewed as not of its time now , but I don't personally believe it was written with any intent to be racist

I'm stunned it's even a point of discussion.

There was that character that would throw up when she heard a foreigner or found out they'd baked a cake she ate. It was overtly taking the piss out of bigots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Agreed. I think that’s why those four officers are going to prison. 

But the cops that killed Breona Taylor walk free and scores more are never held accountable for all sorts of criminality against black people in the USA.

• Like 1

Â