Racism Part two

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, penguin said:

It’s negatively referring to skin colour, I can’t see how the racial element isn’t apparent unless you are deliberately trying to miss it.

And of course not, I was asking why it’s so obviously idiotic that there’s even a debate that it can be seen as a racist term. But great straw man I’ll sure you’ll get the likes you’re after.

So, would be calling someone ginger be racist? How about blond?

I thought it was referring to people who go red and flushed and angry and appear to have blood pressure / anger issues around brexit and rule Britannia and instrumentals at the proms? I don’t think it just generally applies to ‘white’ people if that’s where you’re going with the race angle? I think someone calling me a gammon would be wrong, I don’t do that whole ‘gammon’ persona thing that I thought it referred to. I don’t get flushed with rage about immigrants at Dover or people using modern PC terms and not liking Jim Davidson chalkie jokes. I thought it was that whole package. You know, Rees Mogg, for instance, would probably not be a gammon, he’s more of your haunted pencil. Whereas I’d say James Cleverely has often displayed gammonist tendencies.

Not sure where you’re going with the likes and straw man thing? 

• Like 1

I’ve honestly personally never seen “gammon” used in any context other than to generalise middle-aged white, usually male, people.

And after doing a little searching following Vive_La_Villa’s question this appears to be the consensus and the debate then seems to progress and revolve around whether this group can experience racism but if that genuinely isn’t the case I am happy to accept that point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, would be calling someone ginger be racist? How about blond?

I thought it was referring to people who go red and flushed and angry and appear to have blood pressure / anger issues around brexit and rule Britannia and instrumentals at the proms? I don’t think it just generally applies to ‘white’ people if that’s where you’re going with the race angle? I think someone calling me a gammon would be wrong, I don’t do that whole ‘gammon’ persona thing that I thought it referred to. I don’t get flushed with rage about immigrants at Dover or people using modern PC terms and not liking Jim Davidson chalkie jokes. I thought it was that whole package. You know, Rees Mogg, for instance, would probably not be a gammon, he’s more of your haunted pencil. Whereas I’d say James Cleverely has often displayed gammonist tendencies.

I asked a straightforward question and read your reply as taking the piss and and asking absurd questions for effect, apologise if that wasn’t the case.

As the for the rest, I’ve always been under the impression the term is a negative racial generalisation but yes I can clearly see how there is no debate it is not racist if this isn’t the case.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, would be calling someone ginger be racist? 

Would you believe a year ago my youngest child fell out with a girl who had ginger hair, she said because he’s got a slight lisp he was a retard so my son labelled her a gingernut and a freckle face (Luckily neither has any S’s in them) She got so upset she got her mother to complain to the school along  the lines it was terrible for her to be mocked due to her ‘condition’ and made her feel like she was part of a minority. Bloody strawberry blondes

17 minutes ago, penguin said:

I’ve honestly personally never seen “gammon” used in any context other than to generalise middle-aged white, usually male, people.

And after doing a little searching following Vive_La_Villa’s question this appears to be the consensus and the debate then seems to progress and revolve around whether this group can experience racism but if that genuinely isn’t the case I am happy to accept that point.

Of course white people can experience racism, that can’t be disputed.

I’ve experienced racism, I am white.

But I really don’t think it’s racist to call someone out for being an angry middle aged brexiteer bloke with erectile dysfunction.

Others that aren’t racist: ‘snowflake’ and ‘remoaner’ and ‘woke libtard’ and ‘covidiot’.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Of course white people can experience racism, that can’t be disputed.

I’ve experienced racism, I am white.

But I really don’t think it’s racist to call someone out for being an angry middle aged brexiteer bloke with erectile dysfunction.

Others that aren’t racist: ‘snowflake’ and ‘remoaner’ and ‘woke libtard’ and ‘covidiot’.

No I would agree with that.

I only really intended to play a little devils advocate but looks like I completely got the wrong end of the stick and wasn’t even debating what I thought I was. I’ll bow out on that.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, I’d go for it mate.

Don’t forget to report back on how it went.

I couldn’t do it to be fair. I’d feel like in a strange way they would be well within their right to throw a racist slur at me.  I will keep gammon in my back pocket if I ever experience any racism though.

I honestly never knew what it meant until I saw it on a thread. I love VT :)

• Like 1

Gammon is nothing to do with a race. If you think it is then you are misunderstanding it. 

Anybody can be a gammon.l regardless of race or skin colour. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gammon is nothing to do with a race. If you think it is then you are misunderstanding it. 

I thought a gammon was a white man with high blood pressure that means they have a pink face, usually Tory voters in their 50s and 60s and not big Corbyn fans and are Brexit voters.  It's a mix where you could say they're being stereotyped because of how they look, but then they are generally more mocked for their views, which isn't a racial thing.  It's more just name-calling than racism, a bit petty but not that sinister.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

What about if you call a black guy a steak?

Â