Racism Part two

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not sure there'd be a good antonym but Eeyorish might serve as a possible.

Edit: Marvinian could work (after the Android). :)

That's good.

Has donkey connotations as well.. I'd rather be a covid spreading Panglossian, than a gloomy donkey :D 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's not odd at all, the point is, who are you a white middle aged person to presume what a black person actually wants. I thought it was pretty clear.

you, not your post. At no point did I presume, I said I was not sure and used the word maybe and asked for opinion which is the whole point of a open forum is it not and get this drivel back off you. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd rather be a covid spreading Panglossian, than a gloomy donkey

Without wishing to reignite the conversation from the other thread, I'd maybe consider quite what you're confessing to there. ;)

Edited by snowychap
took out a comma
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Just been reading about the Black Takeover day on Channel 4 next year where everybody in every program all day will be black. They are even bringing back the Big Breakfast for a one off show. I’m not sure, although probably very well intended that this is the message that needs to be put out, The name  itself could be deemed somewhat problematic and is the type of thing black people would want as The whole point I believe is for race  to become irrelevant and this could be bizarrely possibly labelled racist. Just seems it may well have been thought out by middle-aged white people who think they know what the black community wants maybe?

Ok let’s start again.

What message do you think this will send?

Why is the name problematic?

Why are you presuming you know what black people want when you say “and is the type of thing black people would want as the whole point I believe is for race to become irrelevant...”

Why do you think this could be “bizarrely labelled racist”?

Why does one whole day of television on one channel out of hundreds featuring only black people seem to bother you?

Surely promoting a positive image of black people for a day is a good thing, when many claim that they are underrepresented in the media as a whole? 

Wonder if the recent sackings of le tissier nicholas thompson and minto have something to do with gender and racial equality?

If i see micah Richards and Clinton Morrison on the lineup that will answer that. Two of the shittest pundits i have seen

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ok let’s start again.

What message do you think this will send?

Why is the name problematic?

Why are you presuming you know what black people want when you say “and is the type of thing black people would want as the whole point I believe is for race to become irrelevant...”

Why do you think this could be “bizarrely labelled racist”?

Why does one whole day of television on one channel out of hundreds featuring only black people seem to bother you?

Surely promoting a positive image of black people for a day is a good thing, when many claim that they are underrepresented in the media as a whole? 

1) I do not know, hence me asking the question

2) I said the name could be labelled problematic because of the word 'takeover' In my opinion celebration would be far more fitting

3) I asked as a non black person what there views may be, 'is this the type of thing they would want' is a question and not a presumption and open for debate. 

4) It could be deemed racist as it is at the exclusion of all other races and no doubt will by some as the day draws closer

5) It does not bother me, where have I said it did?? 

6) How do you know it is going to present a positive image, have you been privy to a secret screening, how do you know what black people want as a middle aged white man? 

As always you never bother answering the points raised in the initial post and come back with just questions or cloaked presumptions of what I might or might not think.

In another thread you made the comment repeatedly  'I am alight Jack' about me assuming you knew my position in the matter discussed and when I offered to explain differently you ignored me. 

As i said earlier, all very odd

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder if the recent sackings of le tissier nicholas thompson and minto have something to do with gender and racial equality?

If i see micah Richards and Clinton Morrison on the lineup that will answer that. Two of the shittest pundits i have seen

On the flipside, Alex Scott and Liam Rosenior are fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

1) I do not know, hence me asking the question

I'm guessing but it might send the message that there is an imbalance of white people on TV

2) I said the name could be labelled problematic because of the word 'takeover' In my opinion celebration would be far more fitting

Takeover is a currently fashionable buzzword in the media for instances like this. Seems a perfectly normal title in this day and age. Various shows, especially on that there radiogram with special substitute presenters get described as a takeover.

4) It could be deemed racist as it is at the exclusion of all other races and no doubt will by some as the day draws closer

Setting aside one day of programming on one channel of many to promote the cause of an under-represented minority, is not racist. The BBC even have a music station dedicated to "Contemporary Urban and Black Music". They also have The BBC Asian Network on radio too. I don't see many people complaining about them

5) It does not bother me, where have I said it did?? 

Apologies, I presumed it perturbed you in some way, which is why you were posting it.

6) How do you know it is going to present a positive image,

Well if it didn't it would be rather pointless and very probably racist, so my logical conclusion is that it will present a positive image.

Hope this full account of my feelings satisfies your curiosity

• Like 1

Happy to be corrected if there are any sources, but the television media and entertainment have typically seemed quite progressive to me, and it's been my perception for quite a while that ethnic and sexual minority groups tend to be overrepresented on British TV rather than underrepresented. About 3% of British people are black, I'd have thought there are a far higher percentage of actors and presenters on British TV that are black than that, though I admit I'm going purely on anecdotal evidence of shows I've watched rather than any kind of stats. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Happy to be corrected if there are any sources, but the television media and entertainment have typically seemed quite progressive to me, and it's been my perception for quite a while that ethnic and sexual minority groups tend to be overrepresented on British TV rather than underrepresented. About 3% of British people are black, I'd have thought there are a far higher percentage of actors and presenters on British TV that are black than that, though I admit I'm going purely on anecdotal evidence of shows I've watched rather than any kind of stats. 

You might be right, It was my assumption for the reason, I guess because of the whole Thompson / Big Time Charlie / and whoever ever else it was that got finished by Sky recently and the debate around their replacements

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'm guessing but it might send the message that there is an imbalance of white people on TV

As stated in the post above this does not seem to be the case

Takeover is a currently fashionable buzzword in the media for instances like this. Seems a perfectly normal title in this day and age. Various shows, especially on that there radiogram with special substitute presenters get described as a takeover.

It may well do but I notice after googling the subject it already appears that the word has been potentially viewed in a different context than you suggest, As stated I would imagine it will be done so again in the future as we draw nearer to the event so valid comment.

Setting aside one day of programming on one channel of many to promote the cause of an under-represented minority, is not racist. The BBC even have a music station dedicated to "Contemporary Urban and Black Music". They also have The BBC Asian Network on radio too. I don't see many people complaining about them

I agree but certain sections will see it as a race slur, please see the comments online already

Apologies, I presumed it perturbed you in some way, which is why you were posting it.

Thank you, I was posting it on a thread about the subject matter that is in the news so why would someone not post it. Nothing would ever get posted or discussed ever applying your logic so empty board

Well if it didn't it would be rather pointless and very probably racist, so my logical conclusion is that it will present a positive image.

Lets hope this the case 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Hope this full account of my feelings satisfies your curiosity

As stated in is an open forum so replying to a posted topic rather than dissecting it and going off on a tangent at the OP is highly appreciated

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The purpose of the black takeover day is to "kickstart a fresh push for greater on and off-screen representation"

Can't find the full article as its behind a paywall, but this was in the Times a few months ago. 

Ethnic minorities and gay people are significantly over-represented on British television, according to a study.

Black and ethnic minority (BAME) people account for about 13 per cent of the national workforce but secure 23 per cent of on-screen roles, the statistics show.

Over-representation is particularly stark on drama programmes, where ethnic minority actors win more than a quarter (26.4 per cent) of parts, as well as children’s TV (30.3 per cent) and comedies (24.9 per cent).

Lesbian, gay and bisexual people are nearly twice as likely to appear on television — where they take 11.9 per cent of roles — than would be expected by their estimated 6.4 per cent share of the national population

@chrisp65 If that was aimed at me, it doesn't bother me about the takeover day. I don't watch TV anyway! I was just posting the relevant data in relation to @Davkaus's comment/view. Its not a protest post about the takeover day. 

Just now, Xela said:

@chrisp65 If that was aimed at me, it doesn't bother me about the takeover day. I don't watch TV anyway! I was just posting the relevant data in relation to @Davkaus's comment/view. Its not a protest post about the takeover day. 

No, no, no.

I posted it 45 seconds after I found it on twitter.

I don’t read your posts you racist shit. 😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/ian-wright-matt-le-tissier-sky-sports-sacked-soccer-saturday-phil-thompson-charlie-nicholas-a9690971.html%3famp

• Haha 1

Â