Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Sadly whoever gets brought in, they'll get tagged with a tokenism badge by white van man who'll only be happy if it's an ex manure or Liverpool player only interested in verbally masturbating about his old club each week. 

As many have said, the format is tired and stale. It needs a proper revamp and maybe with no crowds due to covid they could show the goals as they go in, alongside some good analysis. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

How? I can’t see how anyone can argue with what he’s saying. Three terrible pundits have been sacked from what has been a terrible show for a number of years now.

That isn’t an excuse for the drivel that has been spouted on social media. Replacing Phil Thompson with a superior pundit (and that could be my wife who has absolutely no interest in football to be fair) is not a reason for people to kick off in the way they have.

Additionally nobody has actually been hired to replace them yet which makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

Terrible pundits? They are the ones that make the show.

People are kicking off because  i think its a stupid decision.  What makes soccer Saturday is the banter between them. 

Calling micah a amazing pundit is laughable.  He is a absolute joke and knows very little  about football. Morrison is a even bigger joke. His analysis is so poor. 

I think the show has diversity.  We are seeing women alot more and ive also seen dublin be there a few times.

Guess we will soon see with the replacements  but I gurantee it wont be the same and fans will start turning off in their droves.

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Sadly whoever gets brought in, they'll get tagged with a tokenism badge by white van man who'll only be happy if it's an ex manure or Liverpool player only interested in verbally masturbating about his old club each week. 

As many have said, the format is tired and stale. It needs a proper revamp and maybe with no crowds due to covid they could show the goals as they go in, alongside some good analysis. 

I dont agree its gone stale at all. Viewing figures as high as they always been. 

Its a bold move by sky be interesting to see who they line up. They we will know if its politically motivated or not

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont agree its gone stale at all. Viewing figures as high as they always been. 

Its a bold move by sky be interesting to see who they line up. They we will know if its politically motivated or not

Dem, it’s become so formulaic though - Jeff’s awful puns and rants, Phil Thompson butting in because Liverpool hadn’t been mentioned for 30 seconds and Nicholas and Le Tissier inanely screaming out for a throw in. And then there’s Merson stuttering over any foreign players name, it’s almost like it’s scripted 

they need to change things up a little and bring in some new features to game day.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Terrible pundits? They are the ones that make the show.

People are kicking off because  i think its a stupid decision.  What makes soccer Saturday is the banter between them. 

Calling micah a amazing pundit is laughable.  He is a absolute joke and knows very little  about football. Morrison is a even bigger joke. His analysis is so poor. 

I think the show has diversity.  We are seeing women alot more and ive also seen dublin be there a few times.

Guess we will soon see with the replacements  but I gurantee it wont be the same and fans will start turning off in their droves.

You're comparing different things though, the three white guys have banter that makes the show but the black guys are criticised for poor analysis?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ian Wright making himself look like a complete moron there

Is he? 

He is lambasting the fact that people are openly assuming that the only reason they have been sacked is because they want more black/female pundits. The real reason is cost cutting, which given these guys have been on it for years, they have probably built up a “healthy” wage. Don’t forget, Sky is also having to cut costs because of the pandemic so it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to get rid of high profile/high earners. The fact that people have made the assumptions they have, that is his problem and I can understand why that would annoy him.

What they will probably do is have younger, cheaper pundits to try and reduce costs. Some will be good some won’t be. Alex Scott IMO is a good pundit and it sticks in my head they way she put down Phil Neville a few years back at a World Cup I think? Richards though I am not so sure, but there may be some bias from me for his Villa years... Does Wright act like a moron for thinking he’s a good pundit? Might disagree with him but doesn’t make him a “moron”.

To be honest, I was kind of getting bored of “the banter” anyway and certainly not watched the coverage for some time. It would be good to freshen up, but that’s just IMO. You might be right and it could make it a worse show, we simply don’t know. Just don’t make assumptions Dem, that is where the problem lies.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

You're comparing different things though, the three white guys have banter that makes the show but the black guys are criticised for poor analysis?

CV so do you think Thomson nicholas and le tiss have poor knowledge on football?

Forget their skin colour for a minute lets focus on their football knowledge

Morrison and Richards are awful pundits snd this isnt aisn't their skin colour its about their ability on analysing a game. What i am saying is if one of them is a replacement then it obviously is to diversify the show.

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Is he? 

He is lambasting the fact that people are openly assuming that the only reason they have been sacked is because they want more black/female pundits. The real reason is cost cutting, which given these guys have been on it for years, they have probably built up a “healthy” wage. Don’t forget, Sky is also having to cut costs because of the pandemic so it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to get rid of high profile/high earners. The fact that people have made the assumptions they have, that is his problem and I can understand why that would annoy him.

What they will probably do is have younger, cheaper pundits to try and reduce costs. Some will be good some won’t be. Alex Scott IMO is a good pundit and it sticks in my head they way she put down Phil Neville a few years back at a World Cup I think? Richards though I am not so sure, but there may be some bias from me for his Villa years... Does Wright act like a moron for thinking he’s a good pundit? Might disagree with him but doesn’t make him a “moron”.

To be honest, I was kind of getting bored of “the banter” anyway and certainly not watched the coverage for some time. It would be good to freshen up, but that’s just IMO. You might be right and it could make it a worse show, we simply don’t know. Just don’t make assumptions Dem, that is where the problem lies.

I was referirbg to where he is praising richards as a good pundit

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Dem, it’s become so formulaic though - Jeff’s awful puns and rants, Phil Thompson butting in because Liverpool hadn’t been mentioned for 30 seconds and Nicholas and Le Tissier inanely screaming out for a throw in. And then there’s Merson stuttering over any foreign players name, it’s almost like it’s scripted 

they need to change things up a little and bring in some new features to game day.

Fair enough it wont be for everyone i get that. Just think they have such good chemistry that by getting rid of all them your changing the whole identity of the show.

Stelling will quit soon i think, then the whole show will be dead. So you will get your wish. They will provably all end up somewhere like benin or bt and then you will see people switching to that show as the concept works and been successful for many years 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

CV so do you think Thomson nicholas and le tiss have poor knowledge on football?

Forget their skin colour for a minute lets focus on their football knowledge

Morrison and Richards are awful pundits snd this isnt aisn't their skin colour its about their ability on analysing a game. What i am saying is if one of them is a replacement then it obviously is to diversify the show.

I'm not a fan of those 3, I can understand the argument for amusing banter that you made but when I think of the 3, I dont in any way start to think of the great analysis they are driving. 

In your post you appeared to criticise Morrison and Richard's for poor analysis but praise Le Tiss et al for great banter. That's not a fair comparison. 

What is the show trying to achieve? Of the 5 you mentioned, i wouldn't associate any with industry level analysis, all 5 however bring a great degree of entertainment 

I also believe the format of the show is stale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Fair enough, but you were quoted the article in response to this post you did earlier, making the exact same assumption. 

22 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder if the recent sackings of le tissier nicholas thompson and minto have something to do with gender and racial equality?

If i see micah Richards and Clinton Morrison on the lineup that will answer that. Two of the shittest pundits i have seen

You’ve still posed the assumption and tried to reason it with an assumption of 2 pundits you don’t like that are black. This adds an insinuation that this is in fact the real reason to your proposition.

Trump and the like do this all the time and it really annoys me. “It was just a question, I don’t actually agree with it”. All it does is simply stoke the fires. Dem, you are better than that.

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm not a fan of those 3, I can understand the argument for amusing banter that you made but when I think of the 3, I dont in any way start to think of the great analysis they are driving. 

In your post you appeared to criticise Morrison and Richard's for poor analysis but praise Le Tiss et al for great banter. That's not a fair comparison. 

What is the show trying to achieve? Of the 5 you mentioned, i wouldn't associate any with industry level analysis, all 5 however bring a great degree of entertainment 

I also believe the format of the show is stale. 

Fair enough CV everyone has their own tastes and preferences it wont be to everyones liking. I think theh do know their stuff and are entertaining when they are analysing games and when describing goals.  They get really pasisonate. But when you see people like warnock and dowie doing guest appearances who were absolutely terrible it wasnt the same. 

No it wasnt just le tissier bantee i like the way he anslyses games and the pasison he shows. To others might come across corny but i like it.

Your second from last paragraph is key here. What are they trying to achieve here? Are they trying to take it away from the banter and make it a serious show? If so then stelling and merse should have gone as well.

6 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Fair enough, but you were quoted the article in response to this post you did earlier, making the exact same assumption. 

You’ve still posed the assumption and tried to reason it with an assumption of 2 pundits you don’t like that are black. This adds an insinuation that this is in fact the real reason to your proposition.

Trump and the like do this all the time and it really annoys me. “It was just a question, I don’t actually agree with it”. All it does is simply stoke the fires. Dem, you are better than that.

Well lets be real here minto le tisser thompson and nicholas all white guys sacked.  If four black pu dits were sacked you know everyone will be saying it was racially motivated. Same if four women were sacked it would be screamed sexist.

Lets not kid ourselves that that would not happen

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What makes you say the viewing figures have stayed the same dem? I've not found anything for it but I'm struggling to believe that's true

The show is really tired 

I stopped watching it when George Best said JPA was crap, Formula was getting tired then let alone now

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well lets be real here minto le tisser thompson and nicholas all white guys sacked.  If four black pu dits were sacked you know everyone will be saying it was racially motivated. Same if four women were sacked it would be screamed sexist.

Lets not kid ourselves that that would not happen

Don’t they actually need to hire 4 black people or 4 woman in the first place for that to even be a consideration?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Don’t they actually need to hire 4 black people or 4 woman in the first place for that to even be a consideration?

Don goodman, chris kamara,  liam rosenier (i think he left for a coaching role) and we have seen micah richards and Clinton Morrison on there a number if occasions.

As for women sue smith and alex scott (who is black)

You also have numerous female sky sports presenters

But those dont count?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Don goodman, chris kamara,  liam rosenier (i think he left for a coaching role) and we have seen micah richards and Clinton Morrison on there a number if occasions.

As for women sue smith and alex scott (who is black)

You also have numerous female sky sports presenters

But those dont count?

Not really.

The guys that have been sacked are the ones in the studio week in/week out commenting on everything are clearly the lead “names” on the show. These names you have referenced may be involved in the program but are either updating on specific matches they are watching or are “guests”. They don’t have the same presence/role in the show do they? 

This is all a side point though, it still doesn’t deal with the issue of the assumption, that’s the key issue one of which sadly remains. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The point is slightly being missed

A white man loses his job, there has been no comment or suggestion from sky as to who will replace him or a reason as to why

There has been a large and very vocal criticism that he has been sacked solely for the purpose of replacing him with a black person

It is in your face unopposed racism that is so accepted within society that a large portion of the people making the criticism don't even realise that they are being racist or worse than that they claim it as racism against the white person 

Its nonsense, they have not lost their job because they're white, the new presenter will not get the job because they are black 

Lets wait and see who the replacements are and see if they improve the show and then discuss.

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Not really.

The guys that have been sacked are the ones in the studio week in/week out commenting on everything are clearly the lead “names” on the show. These names you have referenced may be involved in the program but are either updating on specific matches they are watching or are “guests”. They don’t have the same presence/role in the show do they? 

This is all a side point though, it still doesn’t deal with the issue of the assumption, that’s the key issue one of which sadly remains. 

Don goodman has been on the efl show for many years and is a regular. It might not be ssn but jt doesnt hode the fact that there are regulars on the show.  As @cheltenham_villa pointed out. A key point is what direction the show wants to go. Do they want to go down the more serious route without all the banter?

Not sure if anyone has seen the bt version but man it is dreadful. Boring unispiring and lame. 

Â