Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of interest. How did you know of Dashmesh?

Just one of those weird things you end up with an interest in. A while back I was looking at the attempt to set up a Sikh homeland, so I’d sort of remembered them. Though to be honest I only half remembered them and I had to google it to get the name right.

Others, like the Weather Underground, I remember having an interest in their logo, which reminds me, my most recent rabbit hole was the Symbionese Liberation Army. Now that’s an interesting group.

Nothing sinister, just interested in ideas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Allegedly its racist but i dont see it?

It’s a tactile top.

Little kids have clothes with different materials. That top has ‘fluffy’ thick brown hair. The words are suggesting this is a wrong mermaid as the hair is dark brown and ‘fluffy’.

So I don’t think you’d buy that top for a girl with stereotypical Afro hair.

Probably not deliberate, just dumb as it reduces their potential market. Like making a toy or a book pink chops the potential sales down by over 50%.

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Allegedly its racist but i dont see it?

Essentially it’s saying little black girls can’t pretend to be a mermaid as they don’t fit the white stereotype. Not sure why anyone would come up with a T-shirt for kids like that though, a proper weird one. 

45 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Essentially it’s saying little black girls can’t pretend to be a mermaid as they don’t fit the white stereotype. Not sure why anyone would come up with a T-shirt for kids like that though, a proper weird one. 

It's not really anything more sinister than a cash-in from what is (in my experience) the most popular set of sensory books for young toddlers.

91WOL3dH5nL.jpg

The mouse erection looks even worse on the book.

img_5731_dvd.original.jpg

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It's not really anything more sinister than a cash-in from what is (in my experience) the most popular set of sensory books for young toddlers.

91WOL3dH5nL.jpg

The mouse erection looks even worse on the book.

img_5731_dvd.original.jpg

It's really strange though. All those other examples you can conceivably own (you might need a zoo/farm/airline), but a mermaid is basically a person. Of course, I haven't read the book (though it's in the pile obviously!). EDIT: and as I now know, I clearly know nothing about the wider series.

The mouse penis—I disagree it's an erection as it looks pretty floppy to me and exactly how a floppy dick would look in the sea—is bizarre. At a glance I don't get how any of that exists. It doesn't scream 'good idea' to me.

Edited by Rolta

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's really strange though. All those other examples you can conceivably own (you might need a zoo/farm/airline), but a mermaid is basically a person. Of course, I haven't read the book (though it's in the pile obviously!).

51XvNk41-YL.jpg

image_52055.jpg

create_spread.aspx?spread=3&xml=12261.xm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5xranoEIEGXEhNiO_3r3

Thats_Not_My_Prince-2.jpg

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

51XvNk41-YL.jpg

image_52055.jpg

create_spread.aspx?spread=3&xml=12261.xm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5xranoEIEGXEhNiO_3r3

Thats_Not_My_Prince-2.jpg

Ha, and this is why it's important to have all the information before making judgements! I feel that these touchy feely book can teach everyone a lesson.

Sooooo, about that mouse penis...

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can still see why people would think it was on the nose though. Would have been a lot simpler if the comment was about the mirror rather than her hair for example.

There’s a bit of a history of black people being shamed for their hair not matching up to white ideals.

There’s an article about it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/58psLDd9GGWf5SQKSLmmdjD/why-is-black-hair-so-political

Why is black hair so political?

Hair can get pretty personal. 

For a lot of people, hair is one of the most important factors of their identity. 

And when it comes to black hair, things are often complicated.

From weaves and wigs, to afros, to cornrows and braids - black hair can be a political minefield to understand.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There’s an article about it here:

I read that and found myself asking... why would anyone think touching anyone's hair without consent was a good thing to do?

Someone puts their hands in or on my hair, is likely to get decked (They'd be fairly brave atm given the state of it, there's possibly Japanese Soldiers from WW2 in there)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I read that and found myself asking... why would anyone think touching anyone's hair without consent was a good thing to do?

Someone puts their hands in or on my hair, is likely to get decked (They'd be fairly brave atm given the state of it, there's possibly Japanese Soldiers from WW2 in there)

On a side note, my wife experienced something similar when she was pregnant. On more than one occasion she had men put their hand on her pregnant stomach when talking to her. It proper pissed her off (and me hearing about it) but she was too shocked/shy to tell them off. 

Â