Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Would he have been sent off if he completely cleaned out the utd player for the 2nd goal? 

The mistake was sansons...but i still thought mings could have done more, he seemed to step backwards and set himself rather than charge forward and try and put that ball in the upper holte not caring if the utd player ended up in the lower 

Maybe because he would have been sent off but I'm not sure, was it a goalscoring opportunity? Maybe because he's been dicked whilst charging in more than once this season already 

Either way it looked poor defending - which isn't a mistake and definitley not his fault which was said in the match thread

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Would he have been sent off if he completely cleaned out the utd player for the 2nd goal? 

The mistake was sansons...but i still thought mings could have done more, he seemed to step backwards and set himself rather than charge forward and try and put that ball in the upper holte not caring if the utd player ended up in the lower 

Maybe because he would have been sent off but I'm not sure, was it a goalscoring opportunity? Maybe because he's been dicked whilst charging in more than once this season already 

Either way it looked poor defending - which isn't a mistake and definitley not his fault which was said in the match thread

I'm being a tad over critical here but this is the difference between good and great players. His awareness was the issue, he can see MS is being closed down and he can see Fred's position, he instead of setting himself he should already be in in motion moving to close that gap covering us all incase the ball his short from MS being under pressure. MS under hit it, Fred was ideally placed, Mings was static, Bruno took it well, perfect storm for them.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

For all his faults he can ping a ball. Though he seems to be utterly petrified of making a pass any other than to his CB.

The crowd are on him now and can see what he's doing. I'm sorry but he's captain of the club. He can't be hiding and passing the buck constantly.

Digne was on the overlap for days. Greenwood had no intention of even making token cover runs.

It took until it was 2-2 and the crowd was buzzing for Mings to make a pass to him.

You've got to show more. I've criticised his defending but this he can do...and he has to

Both goals began with him moving the ball progressively tbf.

• Like 1

I think he is far too ponderous on the ball. It gets him into trouble and it puts other in trouble. Cannot count the amount of times he has time on the ball only to release it when the closing player is virtually on him, to then play a stretched pass. 

The other thing is, the longer he takes to release the ball the less space is available for his team mates who are receiving the ball. 

Edited by avfc1982am

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

For all his faults he can ping a ball. Though he seems to be utterly petrified of making a pass any other than to his CB.

The crowd are on him now and can see what he's doing. I'm sorry but he's captain of the club. He can't be hiding and passing the buck constantly.

Digne was on the overlap for days. Greenwood had no intention of even making token cover runs.

It took until it was 2-2 and the crowd was buzzing for Mings to make a pass to him.

You've got to show more. I've criticised his defending but this he can do...and he has to

What are you talking about? He started both of the goals we saw from the back, admittedly the second had a bit of luck but was trying to create from the back all second half.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think he is far too ponderous on the ball. It gets him into trouble and it puts other in trouble. Cannot count the amount of times he has time on the ball only to release it when the closing player is virtually on him, to then play a stretched pass. 

The other thing is, the longer he takes to release the ball the less space is available for his team mates who are receiving the ball. 

If you’re talking about the first half, that was a structural/effort problem.

No one could play out from down back because there weren’t any options to go to.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

No one could play out from down back because there weren’t any options to go to.

No I'm not....I'm talking about much of the time. He needs several touches when he receives the ball before releasing it. It had nothing to do with the structure yesterday. Digne and Cash were in great positions to receive passes on several occasions and by the time Mings had the ball under control the space had gone. He stretches us through being ponderous at the back. That's just my opinion with what I see.   

6 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Digne was was always an option to pass to in the first half but Mings seemed either reluctant or dithered a bit and the space was gone. I was in Trinity and was watching that side very closely. We seemed faster and braver with our passing on the second half. Thought Mings was excellent yesterday though. 

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Digne was was always an option to pass to in the first half but Mings seemed either reluctant or dithered a bit and the space was gone. I was in Trinity and was watching that side very closely. We seemed faster and braver with our passing on the second half. Thought Mings was excellent yesterday though. 

Tbf he was probably used to that player being targett. So when he passed to him nothing happened and the ball comes back. Mings was probably looking for a more progressive pass. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah it was his drive there that got us back into it. I love when he does that.

Often when we make a comeback it's because of mings running forward with the ball, or getting into the box. Or breaking the lines and having an extra man forward. 

• Like 4

Was times he frustrated the hell out of me yesterday, 

We were turning screw on United , moving the ball fast and had them in all sorts of trouble and then the ball would come back to Ty, it was like he was sucking the life out of attacks, would take his time on the ball before moving it and in result we were starting over.

Now saying that, his burst forward for the goal was brilliant

• Confused 1

Just now, pete101 said:

Was times he frustrated the hell out of me yesterday, 

We were turning screw on United , moving the ball fast and had them in all sorts of trouble and then the ball would come back to Ty, it was like he was sucking the life out of attacks, would take his time on the ball before moving it and in result we were starting over.

Now saying that, his burst forward for the goal was brilliant

But I thought we needed him to do that in the 1st half when it was all utd, just take some pace out of the game and keep the ball for us

It can be frustrating but when you see the 75% possession at one point in the 2nd half and it's all us, part of that is mings being a bit slow and boring

We were almost impressively patient in the 2nd half 

If he lumped it aimlessly forward like he's also criticised for then we lose that game 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

We're a better team with Tyrone in it and whilst many will say we can and should improve on him, I think the cost of significantly upgrading him would be better spent in other areas.

Show me 5 better central defenders in the Premier League and I'll show you 5 players that cost a **** fortune.

I think this is spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2022 at 19:59, villa4europe said:

I think that is probably the closest to the truth. The best play would have been to step up and take man or ball. Perhaps Mings didn't because he wasn't sure whether he was the last defender or not? Maybe he thought the contract might happen in the box? The uncertainty is what did him in the end. 

Â