Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought Evans was outstanding at Villa Park in the league, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, great player 

Top bargain for them. I always liked him at West Brom. Head it, kick it away type but also comfortable on the ball. They paid just 3.5m for him when WBA went down.

Thing for me though is with our criteria for signing outfield players would we have even considered him if say WBA had gone down a year later and he'd have been available?

He was 30 when Leicester signed him. I think it's with players like that where our transfer strategy is too narrow focused, plenty of times this seaso where we've needed more experienced heads in the team to talk and calm down people around them from making rash decisions that cost goals.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Top bargain for them. I always liked him at West Brom. Head it, kick it away type but also comfortable on the ball. They paid just 3.5m for him when WBA went down.

Thing for me though is with our criteria for signing outfield players would we have even considered him if say WBA had gone down a year later and he'd have been available?

He was 30 when Leicester signed him. I think it's with players like that where our transfer strategy is too narrow focused, plenty of times this seaso where we've needed more experienced heads in the team to talk and calm down people around them from making rash decisions that cost goals.

I think you are spot on but if we did sign the experienced heads then people would moan on here and at matches about wages

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

You are right . Evans has been outstanding all season. He is the reason Soyuncu was able to have a break thru year. 

I think they’ve just got a great team all round and manager. I wish we had the quality players that they have but they have spent wisely and brought some terrific young players through. We should look to emulate them, easier said than done, we need to stay up first and then push on

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If a 30 year old Jonny Evans was available for £3.5m yes I think we would. But we'd have had to compete with the top 6 for him.

Gary Cahill at 33 who hadn't played for a whole season coming in and wanting £80-150k a week isn't half as attractive

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The England national team social media account has a video of him phoning up nurses and NHS members to say thanks 

Off the pitch this guy is incredible, proper level headed and it always seems genuine rather than something he's been made to do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The England national team social media account has a video of him phoning up nurses and NHS members to say thanks 

Off the pitch this guy is incredible, proper level headed and it always seems genuine rather than something he's been made to do 

I think you’re right, although he has previous with the stamp on Oliveira, he has shown his warm hearted side. I think it’s great 

At 27 years old Mings probably has at least six years at the top level and would benefit greatly playing for a more defensively responsible team. Defence is just not the back four, the whole team has to buy in and I feel that the midfield  at Villa is suspect defensively. If relegation can be avoided and a couple of quality players added then I think that Mings could really excel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

At 27 years old Mings probably has at least six years at the top level and would benefit greatly playing for a more defensively responsible team. Defence is just not the back four, the whole team has to buy in and I feel that the midfield  at Villa is suspect defensively. If relegation can be avoided and a couple of quality players added then I think that Mings could really excel.

I'm in the minority but i think Championship is Mings level. He's been found out this season. He's made so many errors it's unreal.

Think i read somewhere that no other defenders in the league has caused so many mistakes as Mings which has led to goals.

IMO he is highly overrated. Was very good in the Championship but this season he's been garbage like the rest of our defence.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm in the minority but i think Championship is Mings level. He's been found out this season. He's made so many errors it's unreal.

Think i read somewhere that no other defenders in the league has caused so many mistakes as Mings which has led to goals.

IMO he is highly overrated. Was very good in the Championship but this season he's been garbage like the rest of our defence.

I agree partially but I feel that it is the team that has been found out, not just Mings. The acquisitions last Summer were just not good enough overall.  I don't think Mings is the next VVD but I do think he can play at the Premier League level.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I agree partially but I feel that it is the team that has been found out, not just Mings. The acquisitions last Summer were just not good enough overall.  I don't think Mings is the next VVD but I do think he can play at the Premier League level.

How can you say that the new signings haven’t been good enough? If we stay up, then they have been good enough 

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

How can you say that the new signings haven’t been good enough? If we stay up, then they have been good enough 

Are you happy with sitting 19th in a 20 team league ?

Are you happy with conceding 56 goals after 28 games ?

Those are some of the reasons that I say the new signing have not been good enough but if you are happy then thats awesome.

After 28 games in the 2014-15 season Leicester were bottom of the table seven points from safety... Then went on to survive and with pretty much the same squad and a few additions win the league the following season - which as an aside is pretty good argument for not relegating the current bottom three. Our signings have been adequate in giving us a fighting chance of survival, but if we survive then we're going to need another five or six of a more proven quality than those that which we signed last summer if we're to have any chance of progressing next season.

13 hours ago, gurru991 said:

but I do think he can play at the Premier League level.

Bro. I'm not sure.

Based on this season he is not.

But we'll see. He might be a good defender suffering under a poor defensive coach with a flawed system

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

No to the first question and I don't think any Villa fan will answer yes to it.

The second question though depends on how we are turning results out doesn't it. I do think if we were winning or would of been winning most of those results, then importing 56 goals wouldnt of bothered us anywhere near as its bothering us now because of how our team has played this season. Let's face it our team has failed to do some of the simple and basic football play and we've made life much tougher for ourselves because of it. Our Wingers have been useless until Jack moved over, yet we needed him in attacking midfield. No creativity, spark or a will to attack from our Wingers, let alone crosses being successful. Our midfield was to slow, caught out to fast and made little attempt most games to do there part which could of helped our defence out that much more. Our midfield and Wingers were ineffective, they got it wrong and they know it, yet they could do very little to sort the issues out.

If I was Smith I'd drop the Wingers but I doubt that will happen and unless we get some real ready to die attitude talent like Jack, John and Mings, then we best be prepared to go through another season of having a few do the work for the rest and shipping another half a ton worth of goals.

Edited by Dave-R

12 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Those are some of the reasons that I say the new signing have not been good enough but if you are happy then thats awesome.

I think it’s worth remembering that we’re a newly promoted team, we’re expected to be relegated. If we do stay up, we’ve had a great season, even if it’s by the skin of our teeth. We’re 2 points from safety with 1 game in hand on our relegation rivals, I am happy that we’ve given ourselves a chance of staying up, you?

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s worth remembering that we’re a newly promoted team, we’re expected to be relegated. If we do stay up, we’ve had a great season, even if it’s by the skin of our teeth. We’re 2 points from safety with 1 game in hand on our relegation rivals, I am happy that we’ve given ourselves a chance of staying up, you?

You make it sound like we're Wigan on a shoe string budget 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Expected to be relegated? Oh no, I thought after spending £140 million we might have had a plan, we might have bought decent players. How wrong I was, damn this season....

Personally not impressed with Mings at all, looks like a headless chicken, makes rash challenges....we should have signed Cahill, he would've re-joined I'm sure of it.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Clubs like Wolves & Sheffield did not have that "expect to be relegated" attitude & a big club like Villa should never have that attitude. If you think you will fail then you almost certainly will.

Â