Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

When you try and play like Phil Jones there is always a risk of things like that happening.

Was clearly a wrong call by the ref and VAR but it was a very strange attempt by Mings.

He'd be much better playing next to an experienced CB telling him what to do. But we're aston villa and we don't like experienced players. Cahill was available on a free, and we bought Björn Engels and Ezri bloody Konsa... 

• Like 1

Well at this rate will be playing in the championship with us. Don't see anyone giving us the money we paid for him. Be surprised if he makes the Euros unless performances improve. Thought he was good vs city but that was an exception rather than the rule

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Love the guy and he became a cult hero. But he doesn't have the impact I thought he would. 

Best defender in the championship and while good at this level I don't think it makes much difference if he plays or not. 

And when you spend £25 million on a player then it should.

Set the tone with one of those absolutely nonsensical and unnecessary ditherings on the ball to put us under pressure early on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Set the tone with one of those absolutely nonsensical and unnecessary ditherings on the ball to put us under pressure early on.

It seems like every **** game, without exception, he either gifts a goal, or comes bloody close to it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Cemented his place on the plane for Dubai and Marbs in the summer. 

Sadly this kind of sums up how I feel about him now. Just another Billy Big Bollocks like Richards and Lescott. 

Edited by Spoony

Mings is easily PL quality and definitely makes a difference when he plays. But a good defence is a unit with the midfield, and he is always staring ahead at a broken midfield or a full back who has just been skinned. It’s all last ditch. And then the dithering on the ball comes from the lack of players showing for him.

Mings would look very good indeed in most teams in the PL.

Edit: but I do also think he’s got a bit carried away with his non-league to Premier League, Instaceleb, washboard abs mythology. I still hope we hang on to him. Would be a shame if this ended badly, as I think his fondness for the club and its fans was / is genuine.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

And then the dithering on the ball comes from the lack of players showing for him

This is the case with every player in our team at all times. We have a fundamental inability to offer the player in possession a safe forward passing option anywhere on the pitch, especially transitioning out of defense into attack. Teams have clearly picked up in and press us in packs from our box to the center circle so at best it goes back to a defender or keeper and gets hoofed.

Mings was the only player winning aerial battles at set oieces in our box. Engels targett and guilbert are really woeful at defending set pieces.

I think this is one of our biggest  defensive problems

• Like 2

I still prefer the back 3 with Hause's heading ability at corners.  Yesterday was an absolute embarrassment at set pieces.  We had Mings doing the zonal bit meaning their centre halves basically had free headers against the defenders we had challenging them.  There was one where it did actually get to Mings to head it out and he missed his header, which sort of defeats the purpose.  His tendency to just let the ball bounce a couple of times in the box rather than deal with it really annoys me too, he just hasn't learnt.  

Still he has a huge part to play if we have any chance of survival.  He is our best defender and a leader, he needs support just like Jack.  Our season probably relies on those two, Samatta and McGinn.

• Like 1

I feel that some of these comments are unfair, it is worth remembering that this is Mings first season in the Premier League. Without Mings, we would still be in The Championship, I think he had that much of an impact on the side last season

• Like 1

The scary thing for me is that he is comfortably our best defender by some distance which probably confirms why we have conceded the most goals in the league.

We're a much worse team when he doesn't play, but by heck does he need to up his game, stop thinking he is better than he is, stop dithering on the ball and start doing what defenders are there to do - F****** DEFEND!

Â