Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see it differently. Players that struggle with the pressure of the crowd will no longer have an issue.  

Every game will be a level playing field so it will come down to a combination of better players, fitness and who wants it more.

Now we all know we haven’t got better players than most of our opposition. But I do think we will want it more in several of our remaining games considering what’s at stake. 

But if they do not like pressure, how are they going to deal with big matches when relegation is on the line? The crowd not being there may lessen the impact but they will still need to be mentally strong.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see it differently. Players that struggle with the pressure of the crowd will no longer have an issue.  

Every game will be a level playing field so it will come down to a combination of better players, fitness and who wants it more.

Now we all know we haven’t got better players than most of our opposition. But I do think we will want it more in several of our remaining games considering what’s at stake. 

I would still say there is a slight advantage.

Familiar surroundings, no traveling etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

But if they do not like pressure, how are they going to deal with big matches when relegation is on the line? The crowd not being there may lessen the impact but they will still need to be mentally strong.

can be easy to get over a mistake when only a few people pissed off compared to 40000 on your back every time you have the ball. The Villa Park groans might be one of the most uncomfortable things in football for a player. 

Has been known for decades by the opposition that its one of the best tactics at Villa Park

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

can be easy to get over a mistake when only a few people pissed off compared to 40000 on your back every time you have the ball. The Villa Park groans might be one of the most uncomfortable things in football for a player. 

Has been known for decades by the opposition that its one of the best tactics at Villa Park

This may have been true in the past, over the last 2-3 years less so.

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

This may have been true in the past, over the last 2-3 years less so.

True but in the last few weeks before lockdown this was starting to creep back in

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

True but in the last few weeks before lockdown this was starting to creep back in

I agree. I think only reason it disappeared for a bit is that we were winning lots more games than we were losing (in the Champ)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree. I think only reason it disappeared for a bit is that we were winning lots more games than we were losing (in the Champ)

I agree, but it's not long ago that we were being slaughtered by Citeh and there was no animosity. I think relegation and subsequent promotion has reeducated fans (myself included).

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The players seemed defeated. Confidence was rock bottom. Everything was going against us and we looked likely to go down if we’re being honest. 

Sounds like some of our fans... 

2nd part is spot on, treat it as a chance for a literal restart, anything can happen from here 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The players seemed defeated. Confidence was rock bottom. Everything was going against us and we looked likely to go down if we’re being honest. 

This restart is almost like a new season starting. A mini tournament. We can do it.

That's why i think the 1st game back will be crucial.

Lose that one and they might go back into their shell again. Win and we are back on track with the point per game ratio.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Comes across as a very intelligent guy.  

He does but his actions on the field like stamping on Nelson Oliveira and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and having a pop at Anwar El Ghazi suggests that he isn’t. He should let his football do the talking 

Ask Engels after the Spurs game if he'd prefer an empty VP for his next home game, I think he'd have said yes and he's going to get it now.

On the flip side though this squad of players really seem to relish the backing they get at night time games. Three of our best performances/results have co,me from that time v Everton, Newcastle and Leicester so we will miss that for games v Sheffield United and Palace.

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He does but his actions on the field like stamping on Nelson Oliveira and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and having a pop at Anwar El Ghazi suggests that he isn’t. He should let his football do the talking 

I don’t think having a temper or a nasty streak has any thing to do with intelligence.  

Maybe intelligence is the wrong word.  Whats the nicest possible way to say he doesn’t seem as stupid as your average footballer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree, but it's not long ago that we were being slaughtered by Citeh and there was no animosity. I think relegation and subsequent promotion has reeducated fans (myself included).

Yeah, you’re right mate. Perhaps I was a bit cynical , things probably have moved on. I haven’t been to that many games this year, maybe 5/6, but I was at the Everton game in August and f*** me, that was one hell of an atmosphere. What an evening, I didn’t even mind that it took me 2.5 hours to get home as the trains were buggered. 

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, you’re right mate. Perhaps I was a bit cynical , things probably have moved on. I haven’t been to that many games this year, maybe 5/6, but I was at the Everton game in August and f*** me, that was one hell of an atmosphere. What an evening, I didn’t even mind that it took me 2.5 hours to get home as the trains were buggered. 

VP has really become special again for evening games in last few years. Think the regular diet of midweek games in the championship and some of the more interesting home games like 5-5 v Forest and 3-3 with Preston and the night of the cabbage really got us going again and the team generally thrives off it now. The 0-0 v Boro in the play offs was actually one of the best VP atmospheres in last 10 years imo.

The team likes it which is why we're pretty hard to beat at VP when we have an evening game nowadays so we will lose that. I don't go to as many weekend games as I used to but I find a much more mundane atmosphere and generally the game reflects that.

If we could schedule all our home games to 8pm kick offs we'd probably already be safe by now.

this interview is once again showing just how in the gutter our media is, largely due to social media

what he's said is well thought out, perfectly fair and what I would say a lot of people agree with

and its not just talksport, its more or less all of them, then you throw in the click bait nature of social media and people's reluctance to actually open and read articles and then the story is a waste of time, completely changed from what it originally was 

• Like 3

Of course it's financially driven, like any other business.

What other work places doesn't have access to is weekly Covid testing. Football players are in a really privileged position compared to other work places.

The press want to blame Villa and other clubs around the relegation places in case the season cannot be completed. Look what happened to Troy Deeney, some idiots were wishing death on his newborn son from the virus. Of course, this issue existed pre-social media, but the clickbait is fuelling this sentiment.

• Like 1

Â