Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

This.

This is his first full season in the Premier League, I think he’s done great to progress on to England. His performances have slumped a bit in recent weeks but you can’t expect miracles from him every week especially in a struggling side 

On 10/03/2020 at 11:42, KentVillan said:

I know he was injured / benched for most of it, but it is his FIFTH season in the Premier League.

On a broader point, he really needs to ditch the whole “I was working as a mortgage adviser” schtick now. He was playing for Ipswich in the Championship, aged 20, in 2013. It’s been 7 years now of high-level professional football.

The origin myth should just be the opening chapter of his autobiography, not the first thing journos still write about him. He’s hardly the first footballer to be rejected as a teenager and make their way back into the game through non-league.

I like him, but I worry that this team is still a collection of egos rather than a solid unit, and he is indicative of that at times.

Its certainly not a solid unit and I think Tyrone has contributed to that, even though he is still our best defender.

He is not playing with same conviction he did at the start of the season...maybe too many reversals has affected his confidence and our other defenders.

On 10/03/2020 at 12:25, KentVillan said:

In fairness to him, I have seen loads of games where has been an absolute colossus in the air, so it may just be he's carrying an injury, or is struggling to cope with the sheer workload of backs-to-the-wall defending every single match.

He's a very good player, and provably has an impact on our results when he starts. City would have thrashed us in the Cup Final if he'd been out.

Definitely Premier League quality, definitely worth a lot of money. Still has room to grow as a leader.

I too think better players around him, would have an affect.....personally, i am not enamered with the full backs, in terms of defensive capability.....that leaves him more or less on his own, because the other CB is changed so often with the manager naturally searching for consistency.

He is trying to do too much and can't trust those around him.imo

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its certainly not a solid unit and I think Tyrone has contributed to that, even though he is still our best defender.

He is not playing with same conviction he did at the start of the season...maybe too many reversals has affected his confidence and our other defenders.

I think you are correct, I also think that Mings plays better when he is paired in a flat back 4 with Engels as his centre back partner

11 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

This is his first full season in the Premier League, I think he’s done great to progress on to England. His performances have slumped a bit in recent weeks but you can’t expect miracles from him every week especially in a struggling side 

I could pick out three games where he has cost us. Man City, Man utd, and Leicester. Laursen called it right, he lacks focus and that ,for me, is a terrible trait for a centre- half playing in the premier. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I could pick out three games where he has cost us. Man City, Man utd, and Leicester. Laursen called it right, he lacks focus and that ,for me, is a terrible trait for a centre- half playing in the premier. 

It’s his first full season in the Premier League, he is bound to make mistakes, he will learn from them and become a better player 

On 30/03/2020 at 21:31, Brumstopdogs said:

Arguably more deserved of being our captain...

Thats a really beautiful gesture...

He always came across as one of "the people"...

A humble, kind and decent chap who is grateful for the position he has found himself in as a professional footballer...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think we might be cashing in on him if/when things get back to normal.

Genuine question - if we value him at £30m who would buy him? 

Maybe arsenal? I would say Everton but with ancelotti I'm not sure, West Ham?? 

I don't think the market for him will be that competitive 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Genuine question - if we value him at £30m who would buy him? 

Maybe arsenal? I would say Everton but with ancelotti I'm not sure, West Ham?? 

I don't think the market for him will be that competitive 

Would fit in alright at Leicester I suspect, they have Wes Morgan still as main back up when they lose one of their first choices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would fit in alright at Leicester I suspect, they have Wes Morgan still as main back up when they lose one of their first choices.

Did think of them but they have a Croatian u21 kid called benkovic out on loan at bristol who could come good and I think would be in the squad next year (or so FM told me...) 

The money would fit, they've also got Ryan Bennett on loan from wolves so they do need a CB

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Did think of them but they have a Croatian u21 kid called benkovic out on loan at bristol who could come good and I think would be in the squad next year (or so FM told me...) 

The money would fit, they've also got Ryan Bennett on loan from wolves so they do need a CB

Our options next season look like:

Starting 2 - Evans and Soyuncu

Back up 2 - Morgan and Benkovic

We are very unlikely to make Bennetts loan move permanent

Last summer and in January we were actively looking for a new centre back, mainly Demiral from Juventus until he got injured, so it seems like we will definitely be in the market for a centre back in the next transfer window, with Morgan likely to take on a 5th choice/coaching role next season and the new signing and Benkovic pushing Evans for his position

Edited by Fox1884
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Our options next season look like:

Starting 2 - Evans and Soyuncu

Back up 2 - Morgan and Benkovic

We are very unlikely to make Bennetts loan move permanent

Last summer and in January we were actively looking for a new centre back, mainly Demiral from Juventus until he got injured, so it seems like we will definitely be in the market for a centre back in the next transfer window, with Morgan likely to take on a 5th choice/coaching role next season and the new signing and Benkovic pushing Evans for his position

I thought Evans was outstanding at Villa Park in the league, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, great player 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought Evans was outstanding at Villa Park in the league, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, great player 

You are right . Evans has been outstanding all season. He is the reason Soyuncu was able to have a break thru year. 

• Thanks 1

Â