Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Just… horrible…

😢

We have to stand and fight, overcome this hurt and disappointment and show our passion…. No one would ever have wanted any like this, but the players have to “use it” as some kind of extra motivation for this season…

The result in itself today obviously sucked, but the injury to Ty is what I'm really upset about. He is a true leader and the face of modern Villa for me. I wish him a speedy recovery and I'm gutted about his injury.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wict01 said:

We always fall apart without him, how’re we going to cope for an entire season? Horrible horrible omen 

1 minute ago, Risso said:

The problem in the past is that when he's been injured, we've had to replace him players like Hause who are much lower in quality. We've now got experienced internationals in Carlos and Torres who cost a fortune, so the drop off shouldn't be as noticeable. Although the intangibles around his leadership will be much harder to replicate.

Risso covers this well. He's a huge loss but he's not the singular difference between having a great defence and a crap defence. Think what hurts the most is that he's just such a genuinely nice guy and it's horrible to see someone like him get such a bad injury.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Refs are absolutely dire

What was the ref decision to do with injury? The offside rule is shit re continuing to play, and has been for a few yrs, it’s no different here. 
For me it’s a totally innocent incident 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wict01 said:

We always fall apart without him, how’re we going to cope for an entire season? Horrible horrible omen 

We probably will be better than we have previously have been without him. We kinda have to be.

But he’s such a huge miss. Suddenly rotating a central defensive partnership to cover the fixture congestion seems trickier.

We really can’t afford any more long term injuries to our match day squad. 

• Like 1

As Ty was being stretchered off, the chant “he’s here, he’s there” was being sung by the fans. An utter toe rag in the row behind me thought it appropriate to comment “well he wasn’t for the 2nd goal”. 
Same idiot slagged off Diaby for putting his effort into the side netting later on. 
I despair at some of our so called fans at times, I wish they’d crawl back under the particular rock they came from.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Had a very (very) quick look and it’s really not great reading.

Caveat, bit of a rushed job. Possible inaccuracies. Someone else probably can do a better job.

19/20

Missed 5 full games. Lost 4. Won 1. Conceded 11.

Another game he went off injured. Conceded 3 in his absence. Lost 4-1.

20/21

Missed 2 full games. Lost one drew one. Conceded 4.

We won a match when went off at half time. Clean sheet.

21/22

Missed 2 full games. Draw and defeat. Conceded 3.

Didn’t start v West Ham. Conceded 2. Came on conceded another 2.

22/23

Missed 3 full games. Lost all of them. Conceded 6.

23/24

Well, you know the story there.

Basically I think we’ve won 1 out of 12 “full” matches he’s missed, losing 9. Conceding 24.

Then there’s 4 other matches where he’s missed some of the game. Lost 3, won 1. Conceded 8 in the time he was off the pitch. That time amounts to just under two matches worth of minutes.

Hopefully we improve this record.

I remember the Leicester game in 19/20. Did his hamstring, for some reason the thought was he could run it off and then Vardy sped away from him easily and scored. We certainly collapsed over xmas at the back as anyone who went to Watford 3-0 would testify, that's where no experienced leader in the backline really hurt us.

The above shows how few games he's missed since start of 2020, 7 pretty much which is excellent fitness and disciplinary record considering he had a couple of bad injuries at Bournemouth that halted his progress at key points.

I would say with all his life experience and setbacks and stick he's taken in last few years he's got the resilience to come back from this injury 100%. We are however very much into the unknown now of a Villa team playing for many months with Mings so it is worrying.

Reminds me of when we lost Laursen in Jan 2009. He had such a presence at the back like Mings, we didn't have someone like Mellberg in the squad anymore and so options were Davies, Cuellar and Knight and we constantly switched the combinations and shipped goals endlessly and cost us top 4 in the end.

Same could easily happen now.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Genuinely devastated about his injury.

I'm a grown up now. I don't obsess over football like I did as a teen. I'm rarely starstruck.

But I love this dude. He's worth every penny he earns because he's a role model on and off the pitch.

Any of our players suffering like that is saddening, but Ty? It's hit me hard.

No wonder we got battered. I don't even know the bloke and it knocked the stuffing out of me. Imagine being his teammate.

Life can be cruel, man.

I think Tys injury affected the team mentally more than people realise. It was a poor performance but happy to write it off. Newcastle were very good and simply more organised than us. We didn't take our chances either. We'll bounce back next week 💪 

30 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm a grown up now. I don't obsess over football like I did as a teen. I'm rarely starstruck.

But I love this dude. He's worth every penny he earns because he's a role model on and off the pitch.

No wonder we got battered. I don't even know the bloke and it knocked the stuffing out of me. Imagine being his teammate.

Life can be cruel, man.

Really well said. Absolutely gutted about this, it would have been bad if it had happened to any player but it's so much worse because it was him. 

We should be better than we have been in the past without him, because we have better (or certainly more expensive) players to slot in. But I don't think we can replace his leadership, bottom line. Or I'll need to see it to believe it anyway. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Life can be cruel, man.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself. I feel the exact same as you. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

And Courtois the same day as Buendia.

And to add to the BS new time additions, it really bothers me reading the quotes from the head of the Premier League talk about possibly getting rid of the winter break to make more space for games. Seems like at some point this sport will become non-stop year round football and more injuries will pile up as a result.

• Like 1

Â