Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

On 08/06/2023 at 12:04, blandy said:

I like him a lot both as a player and a person, but being honest, I thought both stamping incidents looked deliberate and despicable.

I thought he left one on Gakpo too. There was no need for him to drive his foot down the way he did.  He definitely has a little nasty streak. 

On 08/06/2023 at 12:22, Tom13 said:

Tbf even that one Rooney nudges him just before it if I remember right. And Mings is looking at the play. Only he knows whether he did it or not but of course oppo fans will hold it against him.

If you look Ibra seems to drive his foot down before going over just missing Mings, so he might have interpreted that as Ibra trying to do it to him first.

• Like 2

On 08/06/2023 at 12:04, blandy said:

I like him a lot both as a player and a person, but being honest, I thought both stamping incidents looked deliberate and despicable.

For Gakpo, he got the ball.

It was a foul, and a sending off (dangerous play is a red card), but it’s a hell of a stamp if he manages to gets ball and man in one go. Seems more likely to me it was a very heavy challenge that caught the player.

The Gakpo one in the air? It was high and I wouldn’t have argued with a red but far from trying to leave one on him I think he noticeably pulled his foot back - that and getting the ball is why it was only a yellow.

35 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

The Gakpo one in the air? It was high and I wouldn’t have argued with a red but far from trying to leave one on him I think he noticeably pulled his foot back - that and getting the ball is why it was only a yellow.

Plus it was glancing. It's not like he full on spartan kicked gakpo. He's cleared the ball and his leg outstretched and gakpo runs into his outstretched leg not the other way around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Plus it was glancing. It's not like he full on spartan kicked gakpo. He's cleared the ball and his leg outstretched and gakpo runs into his outstretched leg not the other way around. 

believe it's called doing a 'De Jong'. 

Dejong Dropkick GIF - Dejong Dropkick Kick - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Enda said:

It was a foul, and a sending off (dangerous play is a red card), but it’s a hell of a stamp if he manages to gets ball and man in one go. Seems more likely to me it was a very heavy challenge that caught the player.

I wasn’t talking about that. I agree on that one. The stamping on players on the ground which were a man u player at old Trafford when he played for Bournemouth and a reading player at reading, for us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Enda said:

I'm pretty sure dangerous play is a yellow card (high boot or ducking low) not a red, it only becomes red if it's deliberate and becomes violent conduct.  Judging by the fact that Mings kicked the ball a good distance from Gakpo before the two collided then it was a pretty clear yellow.

59 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure dangerous play is a yellow card (high boot or ducking low) not a red, it only becomes red if it's deliberate and becomes violent conduct.  Judging by the fact that Mings kicked the ball a good distance from Gakpo before the two collided then it was a pretty clear yellow.

The truth is somewhere in between us.

Deliberate and violent conduct is a red, as you say, and we agree that’s not a fair description of what Mings did.

However a tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent, or uses excessive force or brutality, is also a red.

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he left one on Gakpo too. There was no need for him to drive his foot down the way he did.  He definitely has a little nasty streak. 

I was in the home end at Reading away, which I think was his first game for us.. he definitely has a nasty streak.. I can't remember who he did a number on, but I thought at the time, this is exactly what we needed 😀 

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And plays for the Villa push overs. I wish we had a few more like Tyrone!

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s funny you say that because we’ve definitely been more aggressive as a team under Emery.  In a fair way of course.

Yep. Every player seems to have a new mentality.

Does anyone know what is happening with Mings and injuries? I was reading an article on BBC about selections for England and they make it sound as if he has an injury.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65895255

BBC quoting Southgate we've got in Marc Guehi and [the now injured] Tyrone Mings and Lewis Dunk, players who are playing well without the same experiences of club European football or international football

Â