Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I think Gerrard clearly has a problem with Mings, otherwise wouldn't have stripped him of the captaincy, or at least made him vice captain.

My own wild speculation is that Gerrard can't handle players with big personalities that stand up for their opinions and are natural leaders, and instead of trying to earn respect by reasoning and convincing, does like the typcial bad leader - takes the easy way out and tries to stamp his authority by freezing out or in this case stripping captaincy.

regardless of that wild speculation, it would be nice to see Mings get the armband back by a new manager in a not too distant future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

He’s a stand up human being, a decent footballer, a great stopper and tower of a man but we need better to improve. Let’s not allow the drama vs Gerrard as a reason to start eulogising about Mings and forgetting the issues that had existed for long before Gerrard arrived.

I think he is a good club man however I think a lot of the players look up to him as he is braun and brains, plus he is second longest serving player and the link to our ascent out of the Championship years. But I also think there may be a whiff of Gabby/Collins/Dunne about this moment.

Wouldnt surprise me if he left in this window if we could land a bigger name.

depends if you think there were any issues to begin with. it's clear from the reaction to mings' treatment by the overall fanbase that the majority don't think there are any issues at all and that any criticism was from a vocal minority.

IMO he's our best CB and should never have had the captaincy taken off him. my dislike of gerrard started on that day

how's our record with him not in the team looking now? west ham added yet another defeat to that

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

depends if you think there were any issues to begin with. it's clear from the reaction to mings' treatment by the overall fanbase that the majority don't think there are any issues at all and that any criticism was from a vocal minority.

IMO he's our best CB and should never have had the captaincy taken off him. my dislike of gerrard started on that day

how's our record with him not in the team looking now? west ham added yet another defeat to that

Current drama and narrative aside, he has a frustrating casual manner about him, especially under pressure in possession; he doesn’t impose himself as a giant with aerial threat nor score anywhere near enough; but the fatal issue: he has an error in him, not great as defender at this level. He has plenty of positives and is valuable to the squad, but where we aspire to be, its all about percentages and diminishing returns, but better players are out there and it’s right that everyone has to look over their shoulder as we strive to improve, there is no place for sentiment.

He’s played in most of the past 15 games that everyone is talking about, maybe the question should be where might we have been if we had someone better instead of him? Maybe Mings is the “one-eyed man” in our defence of otherwise blind men, doesnt detract from the deficiencies.

Edited by thunderball

26 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Current drama and narrative aside, he has a frustrating casual manner about him, especially under pressure in possession; he doesn’t impose himself as a giant with aerial threat nor score anywhere near enough; but the fatal issue: he has an error in him, not great as defender at this level. He has plenty of positives and is valuable to the squad, but where we aspire to be, its all about percentages and diminishing returns, but better players are out there and it’s right that everyone has to look over their shoulder as we strive to improve, there is no place for sentiment.

He’s played in most of the past 15 games that everyone is talking about, maybe the question should be where might we have been if we had someone better instead of him? Maybe Mings is the “one-eyed man” in our defence of otherwise blind men, doesnt detract from the deficiencies.

i couldn't disagree more so lets leave it there. he gets in any starting 11 outside of the scum 6 IMO

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Not one for conspiracy theories either, but if Mings was Ill, I’d expect him to post about how disappointed he is to miss a game. 

He must be too ill to reach for his phone. Either that or he holed up in Villa Park as some kind of hostage as you never get coverage.

I personally think Mings is ill but it's mental health rather than physical (which is equally valid for the record).

He's posted a few things about mental health and is a strong advocate for it too. He's lost his England spot, Villa spot until DCs injury, captaincy, been scapegoated by his boss, discussed in the media and Villa have had a bad start.

I don't think he's in the right place at the moment and for good reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Lol. The overblown “fatal error” narrative. Love it

• Like 1

I do get his point about the frustrating casual manner. Not present all the time, but I remember one game when he was obviously frustrated, and did two or three lazy hacked clearances under no pressure. IIRC he was playing poorly but that's obviously no way to get your frustration out.

Is there any actual evidence to suggest Mings has fallen out with Gerrard?

Mings was replaced as captain as Gerrard wanted his own stamp on things (albeit he selected a horrible replacement). Most Villa fans didn’t even want Mings in the 11 at time.

Maybe he has just been injured?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, birdistheword said:

Is there any actual evidence to suggest Mings has fallen out with Gerrard?

Mings was replaced as captain as Gerrard wanted his own stamp on things (albeit he selected a horrible replacement). Most Villa fans didn’t even want Mings in the 11 at time.

Maybe he has just been injured?

Well that's not true.

• Like 2

Without wanting to speak for all, I felt the general consensus about Mings was a lot of fans felt we could do with better to achieve our ambitions of pushing for Europe, but most would also agree that the current set up/team is stronger with him in it.

For me there's usually a divide between those that see him as a calamity waiting to happen and those that see him a a strong leader. For me, the two aren't mutually exclusive. He is both of these things. He makes calamitous mistakes and loses focus, but leads up well from the back and can also play great.

54 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Without wanting to speak for all, I felt the general consensus about Mings was a lot of fans felt we could do with better to achieve our ambitions of pushing for Europe, but most would also agree that the current set up/team is stronger with him in it.

For me there's usually a divide between those that see him as a calamity waiting to happen and those that see him a a strong leader. For me, the two aren't mutually exclusive. He is both of these things. He makes calamitous mistakes and loses focus, but leads up well from the back and can also play great.

His flaws are far outweighed by what he brings to the club. Someone to look up to and listen to. He's just a better captain and I'm not sure McGinn is having the same impact.

9 minutes ago, birdman said:

His flaws are far outweighed by what he brings to the club. Someone to look up to and listen to. He's just a better captain and I'm not sure McGinn is having the same impact.

Agree that he's the most naturally suited captain. The decision to remove him as captain was completely unnecessary as smacked of Gerrard wanting to put his own stamp on things without any sound reason. The captaincy wasn't broken so didn't need fixing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdistheword said:

You go to many away games? I can assure you having been to every one last season large sections of support didn’t want him in the 11 (wrongly in my opinion).

genuinely never met a villa fan in person that didn't want him in the starting 11

whether he's good enough for us getting the top 4 is another debate, but i've not heard anyone say that they don't think he's our best CB (before carlos came in anyway)

• Like 2

Â