Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Upper Trinity open for this weekends game against Derby. There is still around 1500 left elsewhere in the ground, so won’t be many up there in the Trinity upper. Still it looks like there will be 35+ there. 

So....35000+ fro a home game on a Friday night live on SKY. Full house against the Baggies and another 35000 plus attendance due Saturday. All this during one of our worst runs of results in recent memory.

But talk to a Blues or Baggies fans and........"Villa fans need to realise they are not a big club anymore!"

Their lack of awareness for basic facts is amazing.... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

So....35000+ fro a home game on a Friday night live on SKY. Full house against the Baggies and another 35000 plus attendance due Saturday. All this during one of our worst runs of results in recent memory.

But talk to a Blues or Baggies fans and........"Villa fans need to realise they are not a big club anymore!"

We are certainly a well supported club. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

And our average is way up on last season despite almost going up in 17/18 and not looking like it this year.  32,097 versus 34,849.  That's an increase of nearly 9%.  Impressive.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

We're not really a big club anymore are we? Im not really sure how big club is defined anyway. 

OK, attendance wise we're streets ahead, but the likes of Bournemouth are sat comfortably in the prem with about 8k home fans. We're the ones trying to sign their cast offs or out of form players.

Sadly, as well, the longer we are outside of the top flight, the less compelling that big club argument is. If we sign a 17 year old starlet, other than knowing we have a big ground, what success would they have seen from Villa? They would just be quoting the history books in their first interview, if indeed they look into it.

Not meaning to contradict myself here with the Bournemouth reference. But looking into average attendances in the championship, there is a really strong correlation between attendances and league position. 11 of the bottom 12 in the league have the lowest attendances. We have the biggest difference between league position and attendance.

On 24/02/2019 at 12:28, Wainy316 said:

Can anyone that was there confirm this?

We need totransfer this attitude to VP.  We know we're not going up now so let's just try and enjoy the rest of the season and pass some positivity on.

Yeh I was there on Saturday and the support was absolutely brilliant as usual.

It's been said a lot this season on social media but I have to agree that I much prefer an away game over a home game. The atmosphere at Villa Park is not nice at the moment and the fans get on the players backs straight away, away they cheer them throughout the 90 minutes even after going a goal behind.

The support of the Gordon Banks tribute was brilliant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turvontour said:

We're not really a big club anymore are we? Im not really sure how big club is defined anyway. 

OK, attendance wise we're streets ahead, but the likes of Bournemouth are sat comfortably in the prem with about 8k home fans. We're the ones trying to sign their cast offs or out of form players.

Sadly, as well, the longer we are outside of the top flight, the less compelling that big club argument is. If we sign a 17 year old starlet, other than knowing we have a big ground, what success would they have seen from Villa? They would just be quoting the history books in their first interview, if indeed they look into it.

Not meaning to contradict myself here with the Bournemouth reference. But looking into average attendances in the championship, there is a really strong correlation between attendances and league position. 11 of the bottom 12 in the league have the lowest attendances. We have the biggest difference between league position and attendance.

Villa are still a big club. Our history  and the support we get tells us this. We are just not a top club anymore, and in this day and age much smaller clubs that play in the prem are more appealing, because of the money factor, and the exposure the prem gets. You go and ask any fan from all over the country, and we will be in the top 10 biggest clubs mentioned. Based on support, honours, just the whole history of the club in general. Not that it means nothing, because as I said, it’s becoming more irrelevant these days because of prem money. Also the expectation of the fanbase.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Considering there’s not really much to left to play for fair play to the fans for turning up in numbers. Even if it is for good old moan ;)

In many ways they are amazing....The moans are inevitable, really...but just hope we can keep them low profile while the game is in progress.

A moan against us while the game is on....is as good as a cheer for the opposition....they thrive on it.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Villa are still a big club. Our history  and the support we get tells us this. We are just not a top club anymore, and in this day and age much smaller clubs that play in the prem are more appealing, because of the money factor, and the exposure the prem gets. You go and ask any fan from all over the country, and we will be in the top 10 biggest clubs mentioned. Based on support, honours, just the whole history of the club in general. Not that it means nothing, because as I said, it’s becoming more irrelevant these days because of prem money. Also the expectation of the fanbase.

I think the expectation, from the fans,is a red herring......I think its our biggest asset.

I think the fan base has been amazingly patient.....but very few fanbases  will tolerate some of the stuff we have witnessed.

The Finances required to run a club that was always in the Premier league and attracted large gates ( excluding the super stadiums) is what has put pressure on the club..... 3 signings like McCormack, Kodjia and Hogan ( c£40 mill) have also added to the pressure, when they have produced very little....and big wages have also contributed.

We have too many players, simply not punching their weight and that too adds to the pressure.

Personally, one of my biggest worries is the Owners stay interested.....We have to win games to do that, otherwise many of the clubs staff, not just players will be looking elsewhere.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Yeh I was there on Saturday and the support was absolutely brilliant as usual.

It's been said a lot this season on social media but I have to agree that I much prefer an away game over a home game. The atmosphere at Villa Park is not nice at the moment and the fans get on the players backs straight away, away they cheer them throughout the 90 minutes even after going a goal behind.

The support of the Gordon Banks tribute was brilliant.

I think the away support is brilliant...but it always has been.

Rarely does anyone **** on their own doorstep...its hard to be seen to be moaning at your own team in someone else's back yard....I would suspect some of the fans who go away have a different approach at Home.....They want to be seen to be partisan away.

I think for some time now the energy and intensity has been missing for large chunks of the game at Home and that ****es the fans off, more than anything....it should be a fortress.....when teams come and out work and out fight us....it creates a toxic response....The goals against at Home epitomises that.

On 25/02/2019 at 02:30, Skruff said:

Should be an away section at home. 

Totally I said it a few pages back, if I was Purslow I'd invent some financial incentives for people who go to away games to sit in the same part of the ground, like 25% off the cost of the ticket if you sit in a certain section that you try and fill with the regular away fans. Would improve the atmosphere at home tenfold. Get them all behind the goal in the Holte and it would transform the Holte.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

Totally I said it a few pages back, if I was Purslow I'd invent some financial incentives for people who go to away games to sit in the same part of the ground, like 25% off the cost of the ticket if you sit in a certain section that you try and fill with the regular away fans. Would improve the atmosphere at home tenfold. Get them all behind the goal in the Holte and it would transform the Holte.

I don't think they would react in the same way, as they do away.

Probably not, but there'd be a nucleus of willing atmosphere merchants all sat together to get things kicked off, if the rest of the "normal" home support had that to spark them off more often instead of it being spread out all over the place I reckon the atmosphere would benefit loads.

watching German teams fans in European games in recent weeks is a far cry from English fans in general. They rarely ever boo and its always encouragement when winning or losing

Last season Koln were bottom and in his last game the fans serenaded the coach and not in some shouting abuse at him way

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

watching German teams fans in European games in recent weeks is a far cry from English fans in general. They rarely ever boo and its always encouragement when winning or losing

Last season Koln were bottom and in his last game the fans serenaded the coach and not in some shouting abuse at him way

What, no cabbage? Not even a sprout?

• 3 weeks later...
Â