Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

24 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes I can’t say I’m upset we don’t sing that !! Appalling !

(And I don’t remember singing it that way in the seventies either to be honest )

Things were different in the 70s

4 minutes ago, LeedsFanJustVisiting said:

Popped on here tonight to have a nosey and noticed this thread. Bit obsessed by atmosphere in football and the lack of appreciation of its significance

Interesting to read your thoughts on the Villa Park atmosphere. As someone who has lived in the West Midlands for some time now, I have experienced various Second City Derbies both at St Andrew’s and your place. I have also attended non Derby games. I have been really impressed by the atmosphere and had a genuinely wonderful time down there with my mates, some of whom support Villa, on Derby Day. I was at the back of The Holte on Derby day back in November. It was spine tingling at times and everything you want to experience about football, it made you feel alive. It wasn’t even my team playing- you just couldn’t help but get caught up in the euphoria of the situation.  

To cut to the chase, I have also witnessed a much more sedate, sombre Villa Park with the Holte Lower decidedly sat throughout the game. It feels like a completely different venue on these occasions

The key to it all, is being stood up. What is the issue, is it the stewards or general apathy towards creating an atmosphere on a more low key occasion? Inclined to believe that it’s the former. You cannot tell me there is atmosphere when the Holte End stand is sat down. 

It is a wonderful, spine tingling cathedral of English football that should never been knocked down or significantly altered. It has history, character and atmosphere. My favourite ground after Elland Road which is aesthetically terrible but means an incredible amount to me, and an atmospheric cauldron at times- as I hope it will be in the Gelderd End tomorrow night. 

Chants-wise, Holte Enders in the Sky is brilliant, My Old Man is amusing and a classic. Can’t say I’m buying into this ‘allez, allez, allez’ but who am I to tell you I don’t like it?

Sorry for blabbering on, I may have had a few pints and am getting all daft. Leeds fan in peace, but I thought I could give my two pennies’ worth on a subject I know about as a non partisan neutral

Sounds like you have caught the villa bug. 

Soon you will end your posts with UTV! 

#welcome

8 hours ago, dounavilla said:

Sounds like you have caught the villa bug. 

Soon you will end your posts with UTV! 

#welcome

Ha! No chance of that with John Terry, Dean Smith and a few other thoroughly dislikable individuals at your club. You think you’re already up as well! 

On 14/05/2019 at 17:47, terrytini said:

Yes I can’t say I’m upset we don’t sing that !! Appalling !

(And I don’t remember singing it that way in the seventies either to be honest )

It's a football chant, not a threat. "Hi ho, it's up the Holte we go and if you are a city fan, surrender or you die" still gets a regular airing.

3 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Wish on the piss my lord go sung more, it seems to be dying out. 

One of the only unique songs we have. 

Years later, I still feel incredibly uncomfortable about a song that started as a tribute to one of our all time greats, going on about being "on the piss" when he's a recovering alcoholic. I'd be pleased not to hear it again tbh. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 09:42, LeedsFanJustVisiting said:

Ha! No chance of that with John Terry, Dean Smith and a few other thoroughly dislikable individuals at your club. You think you’re already up as well! 

Indeed and we all know where that level of overconfidence takes you... 😏

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Years later, I still feel incredibly uncomfortable about a song that started as a tribute to one of our all time greats, going on about being "on the piss" when he's a recovering alcoholic. I'd be pleased not to hear it again tbh. 

Tbf it was incredibly awkward when everyone sung it at god at the boozer in Ireland pre shamrock rovers game.

maybe just leave that bit out, it’s a cracking song, and gives tribute to other players now

On 15/05/2019 at 09:42, LeedsFanJustVisiting said:

JT has history, I’ll give you that. Dean Smith is a down to earth decent bloke which, to most, would not make him ‘thoroughly dislikeable’. If by ‘other’ individuals you are hinting at Jack Grealish, then I suggest you look at the amount of faking/diving offences that have been committed by other teams players (Bamford and Gayle for example), because Grealish’s total for the season is zero.

As for us thinking we are ‘already up’, you couldn’t be more wrong for the vast majority of Villa fans. We might be proud of the heritage and size of our club (comfortably the highest attendances in the division supports the argument), but traditionally, Villa fans are negative nellies who think we’ll fall short of most hurdles. For the most part, the opposite of your post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spiezels said:

Partly due to the spectacularly moronic “ empty seats my Lord” sung at opposition fans from a ground with an entire tier of a stand closed !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We know already our away fans are easily some of the best in the country. The noise we made at both semis and Wembley was so great.

We've sold the club big time to our new honours. Look at them here, it's like they are talking about their kids or something!

• Like 1

All you could here on the TV coverage all game was the Villa fans singing! Even after their goal....we soon drowned out the Derby fans!

Edited by New_Hope

On 17/05/2019 at 20:23, spiezels said:

It’s awful . The empty seats bit is embarrassing and tin pot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Gotta say I always keep quiet at the empty seats bit... but I love the chant.

I’d probably like it if we ditched the empty seats bit. I remember away at City in the cup midweek under lambert. 25k in a 45k ground and we sang it. The only problem was we only had 1k in a 3k away end. The laughter we got off the city fans was embarrassing. We won mind. 

The lambert years and everything after really destroyed the villa park atmosphere. I hope that experiencing these last few years we don't let any struggles we will inevitably have effect it this time. 

The connection between players and fans is huge and has been a major factor. Need it to continue

There is one solution...safe-standing. Imagine a whole-safe standing Holte End with all the most vocal Villa fans encouraged to stand in it and bring flags and banners and generally go mental for 90 minutes.

• Like 2

Â