Cardiff player on missing plane

Guest av1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

TBF if I was making a joke on this it would be along the lines of everyone getting their hopes up and  then realising it was the wrong Sala(h) (for all those who's world will collapse when Liverpool win the league this season)

Badum tish....:ph34r:

My first thought  rather cynically  was  what happens to the £12 million transfer fee ?

Then I thought cynically again  will anybody even remember the pilot's name ?

Now I'm mostly thinking about how much money would it take for me to fly in a commercial light aircraft ?  At the moment there is no figure that would do it .

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm sorry for your losses 

Thank you.

They're Heaven's gains, so swings and roundabouts.

It made me laugh but i feel bad for the poster who unknowingly  made a death by electrocution reference to the one poster who lost a parent to an electrocution accident. 😀

Even the Universe has a sense of humour sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was going to post a thought on small aircraft but was a bit concerned it may appear a bit insensitive, but as we’re discussing macabre humour I guess it’s fine.

My understanding is that these smaller planes are less safe than a “normal” sized plane anyway. But I was wondering whether we hear more about crashes involving smaller sized planes, in part, because they’re often used by the rich and famous. So an accident involving that sort of aircraft is more likely to be brought to widespread attention because the people on board are more likely to be already well known. Just wondering if that slightly distorts the perception as to how safe they are.

Anyway, like I say just a musing brought about by the the recent sad events.

Depends where you are i guess. Small planes are basically taxis in most of Alaska, You will never have heard of any of the people on them and like shootings in Chicago a crash barely even raises an eyebrow. Over the past 20 years there has been on average one crash every 3 days but the weather there is far more extreme than anything you will ever see in Europe and is the cause of most of them.

There are a lot of light aircraft crashes in the EU too but you will never have heard of most of the people as the rich & famous etc will be far more likely to use a private jet than one of these. Over the past 5 years there were 1254 fatalities on planes registered in the EU, 869 of these deaths were in small planes/light aircraft, Most of these people will just be amateur/hobby pilots & members of aero clubs etc.

Seems Sala knew it was going to happen as he had said he was concerned about the flight back as the one out had been rough and he sent a message out from the plane saying he was on a plane that felt like it was falling to pieces and if nobody had heard from him in 90 minutes they should send someone to find him. There is an audio recording doing the rounds released by an argentinian news outlet

https://www.ole.com.ar/informacion-general/sala-audio-miedo-terrible-avion_0_MKFFqSb_h.html

Translation below :

“Hello, little brothers, how are you crazy people?”

“Brother, I’m dead, I was here in Nantes doing things, things, things, things and things, and it never stops, it never stops, it never stops.

“I’m here on a plane that looks like it’s about to fall apart, and I’m going to Cardiff, crazy, tomorrow we already start, and in the afternoon we start training, boys, in my new team…

“Let’s see what happens, so, how are you brothers and sisters, all right?

“If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don’t know if they are going to send someone to look for me because they cannot find me, but you know … Dad, how scared am I!”

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Seemed bizarre to charter a light aircraft in poor weather, it's not as though there weren't any alternative if the journey was better planned out. It was an unnecessary risk and I'd imagine the family will be taking legal action against Cardiff if they were the ones who organised it all.

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think when people start trying to say when and what people can joke about it’s the top of a very slippery and dangerous slope. The extreme example being the Charlie Hebdo shootings.

That some choose to take offence to a joke or think it in poor taste doesn’t mean people aren’t free to make it. We each make our own judgements on these things in line with our own sensibilities.

Its quite right though to say black humour is a defence mechanism of those in certain lines of work. 

I also think that sense of humours don’t always transcend boarders, us Brits have quite a dark sense of humour when it comes to tragedy. I think it’s a consequence of our stiff upper lip, dark humour is a release but it just doesn’t translate/relate well to other nationalities at times.

So for example, this genuine quote is amusing in the circumstances but I don’t think there is anything remotely funny about what appears to have happened.

CFF28C53-E3F7-4A61-A54C-BD241916B587.jpeg

And funnily enough, the page which that URL resolves to was "Last Updated: 22/01/19 10:48am" and no longer refers to something being dead in the water.

The WhatsApp voice message he sent from the plane is harrowing. He said the plane seems to be breaking apart. 

I can't link the video directly but it can found on the BBC here

Edited by av1

Been looking at a few aviation forums as obviously they'll be better informed on the technicialities compared to general public and a fair few are indicating the pilot wasn't really trained for this sort of late night trip over water....very sad this sort of risky trip has cost two lives.

There's another report in France that apparently another pilot who regularly did fly the Malibu was with them on the airfield but didn't get onboard for unspecified reason.

Guess we'll find out in next few days, hopefully their remains and the wreckage will be located eventually.

Sounds like the pilot wasn’t qualified to fly on instruments (IFR) which with the weather at the time over the Channel Islands definitely would’ve been required. Due to no mayday call I’d imagine severe icing and loss of control. Horrible situation but one which sadly sounds like it could’ve been avoided with some prior planning regarding the weather! 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

The WhatsApp voice message he sent from the plane is harrowing. He said the plane seems to be breaking apart. 

I can't link the video directly but it can found on the BBC here

I havent seen the plane myself but description sounds scary. Sounds like a 2 person plane. 

Â