Pre Match Thread

villalad21

3 minutes ago, striker said:

No way is Smith going to be sacked this season, no way.

For **** sake give the man a chance to sort out the mess left by Bruce.

Just because it's his first season doesn't mean he shouldn't or can't be criticized for poor decisions and managing.

I don't see anyone calling for his head yet. 

32 minutes ago, striker said:

No way is Smith going to be sacked this season, no way.

For **** sake give the man a chance to sort out the mess left by Bruce.

I agree. We need to show a bit of courage and not the short sightedness we have done as a club for years. How many Norwich fans were calling for Farke's head this time last season. They finished 14th. The comparison with them from this to last season is night and day. They had a plan. Change, real change doesn't happen overnight and it certainly doesn't happen with players who can't play high intensity passing football. Farke was never the problem. What he was working with was. I suspect the same is going on here.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It really hasn't. One thing is if you got the wrong manager in from the start, i.e. Bruce who didn't understand that football had moved on from hoofing. But when you got a young'ish manager who understands this, who has shown he's capable at previous jobs, then it's just a case of having patience and implementing continuity. 

But he hasnt shown he is capable at previous clubs. His career best is 9th at Brentford. Who last season lost more points from winning positions than any other team in the division.

• Like 1

If we don't win today that will be 1 win in the last 10 games.

I would suggest that even with no manager at all or a random blues fan picking the team we would still be capable of achieving that win percentage

Hell, Dwight Yorke could probably get us to win 1 every 10

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree. We need to show a bit of courage and not the short sightedness we have done as a club for years. How many Norwich fans were calling for Farke's head this time last season. They finished 14th. The comparison with them from this to last season is night and day. They had a plan. Change, real change doesn't happen overnight and it certainly doesn't happen with players who can't play high intensity passing football. Farke was never the problem. What he was working with was. I suspect the same is going on here.

in all probabilitysmith will start next season. If he starts as Norwich started this theere wont be a problem everyone will be happy.

But like I said ..October / November we have to be in a healthy position

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Time for Smith to show he actually has a pair of testicles and try something new. If it is the usual suspects and the usual formation and plan then he is already getting close to losing me.

So u mean some new personnel then? Do you not think that maybe just maybe dean smith, who has a wealth of managerial experience, is more qualified than me or you to decide whether the likes of o'hare, doyle-hayes etc ( can only assume it's these guys you meant by something new and not the usual suspects) are ready or good enough right now for first team football. Personally i think many on VT have a vastly over inflated opinion of our u23s. Carlisle are looking at O'Hare on loan. League 2 Carlisle. I 100% agree we are pissing into the wind with the usual suspects yes but putting in the aforementioned just because....is not the answer either. Let's do this right. Get the right people in to play how Smith wants. 

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

But he hasnt shown he is capable at previous clubs. His career best is 9th at Brentford. Who last season lost more points from winning positions than any other team in the division.

I'd argue what he did with Brentford is the equivalent of winning the world cup with avfc . And lets not forget he had success prior to Brentford. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hmmmm, and the wage total of those clubs where would they be in relation to the other clubs in the division?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

I’d say that’s a remarkable achievement fir a club Brentford’s size.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well Bruce showed he was capable of promotion at previous clubs. How did that work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1