Pre Match Thread

villalad21

On for a decent crowd again. Don’t get our home support this season. Much better than last season when we were doing well for a large part. As for the game then it’s a bit of a must win, purely because Ipswich are terrible. The play offs are gone in my head. 2.0 Villa 

This is what I would go with this weekend. A potential gamble but something that I think would work against a poor Ipswich side.

Kalinic

Hutton  Chester   Elphick   Taylor

El Ghazi  Hourihane  McGinn  Green

Hogan      Abraham

Back four to stay the same, it's poor but we don't have any other options really.

El Ghazi and Green to start (Adomah looks out of sorts and Kodjia can be used as an impact sub)

Drop out Bjarnasson, he offers nothing and at times hinders the midfield. Two up front means we can be more direct and either striker can drop in to pick up the ball deep when required.

Hogan up front... give the lad a chance, have him play off Abraham and have players knock balls through for him to run onto.

Hogan and Abraham on paper is a good combination.  Abraham clever enough to provide the kind of passes Hogan used to thrive off and Abraham himself can obviously do the business.  It's in our interests to get the best out of everyone.  I just can't see Smith ditching the 5 man midfield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Kalinic

Hutton  Chester   Elphick   Taylor

El Ghazi  Hourihane  McGinn  Green

Hogan      Abraham

It's so depressing having to play these and knowing you probably are gonna concede 2 goals in every game. But we have no other options.

A win and a decent performance is needed here. No doubt Lambert will come and hope to get one over on us. 

We have so few options at the moment I'd go with this:

Kalanic

Hutton Chester Elphick Taylor

Hourihane

ElGhazi McGinn Green

Abraham Hogan

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 17:57, Rugeley Villa said:

On for a decent crowd again. Don’t get our home support this season. Much better than last season when we were doing well for a large part. As for the game then it’s a bit of a must win, purely because Ipswich are terrible. The play offs are gone in my head. 2.0 Villa 

Is the Upper Trinity open?

The only way I would play 2 up top is to sacrifice a defender and go 3-5-2 otherwise I think we would get over-run in midfield. I don't think Smith would adopt this formation but if he did, I'd like to see something like this, which would at least eliminate our terrible full backs and may get us back to the quick high-press football we were playing at the start of Smith's reign;

Kalinic 

Elphick    Chester    Hause

Jedinak

El Ghazi   Hourihane McGinn   Green

Hogan    Abraham 

Could quite easily swap Hogan for Kodge or Davis, Bree into the back 3, Elmo (dare I say) for El Ghazi...

Just hope we can get back to winning ways, Ipswich are 5/1 with some bookies, I don't think it's that clear cut at all.

10 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Kalinic 

Elphick    Chester    Hause

Jedinak

El Ghazi   Hourihane McGinn   Green

Hogan    Abraham 

Playing 3 cb's is a bad idea when you only got 3 available cb's in the squad.

------------------------Kalinic------------------------

Bree-------Elphick-----Chester-----Hutton

------------------------Jedinak----------------------

------------------McGinn -----------------------------------

Green-----------------Hourihane-------El Ghazi

---------------------Abraham-------------------

Smith has the rest of this season without judgement from me, he's inherited a bit of a patchwork team with the lack of defence and injuries at the moment but you have to win games like this to keep fans on side.

We can all be fickle at times but with all the excuses in the world you have to be winning games like this.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1