Pre Match Thread

villalad21

Paul Lambert returns to Villa Park as we face Ipswich Town who are currently bottom of the league.

A must win game if we want to have any sort of hope catching the top 6.

This is a brilliant chance for Dean Smith to get back to winning ways.

• Like 1

Quite frankly if we don't win this then we definitely (even if we do win it's still more than likely that we won't) aren't getting into the top six this season. Lambert will want to get one over on us as well, will be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets at VP.

Id like to think that the 2nd half display at the weekend will refocus us as to how we can hurt teams.

TBH I think we lost that over the last 4 or 5 games, but it can only take small things to change a mindset, then results, then confidence will follow!

• Like 1

4-4-2

------------------------------Kalinic-------------------------------

---Bree--------Elphick----------Chester-----Taylor----

--El Ghazi---Hourihane----McGinn----Adomah---

-------------------Kodjia-----------Abraham-----------------

Only problem is this makes us week defensively. 

If we cant beat Ipswich then we are done for the season really. I have no animosity to Paul Lambert, I hope he is given a polite welcome (I dont want him back mind). But his team is made is League 1 players and third rate Championship players, if he can beat us with that lot or get a draw then shame on us.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

A win isn't enough. This is the sort of match Bruce used to win 1-0 then talk about shutting fans up.

A statement is needed to give fans encouragement and players confidence.

A big fat 3-0 or 4-1 statement.

After nearly getting properly mauled by the Tigers, we risk getting ploughed by the Tractors.

Seriously need to win this game to keep the season's embers aglow. Once more, we failed to really capitalise on other 'play-off/promotion hopefuls' suffering negative results. It is quite feasible that we could win this one 5-2, but make no progress in the table because everyone else has reverted to 'winning type.' We're rapidly approaching the stage in the season where we start looking at what we need to do just to finish above Blues.

On 21/01/2019 at 08:29, Wainy316 said:

James Collins to have a stormer.

James deserves a good reception for tearing up that contract when he sustained that injury shortly after signing it a few weeks ago (with hindsight it's a pity he did though). 

• Like 2

I would have struggled to believe that our visitors would be bottom of this league and that we would be in the bottom half of it 38 years after we had done battle with each other to be champions of England. We were really the two best teams in England back then and although they have always had difficulty in accepting it we were the best of the two teams having won the Championship trophy by 4 clear points (when you got 2 rather than 3 points for a win).   

Overall we have won 21 and have drawn 13 of the 49 league games between the two clubs. We drew 1-1 at Portman Road in August and won our home game against them last season 2-0. They won 1-0 at Villa Park in 2017 having previously not won at Villa Park since 1994. 

We have not won a game at Villa Park for two long months and we have had six league and cup attempts to do so. A win would take us back into the top half of the table and would take us 4 points off sixth place. It would also give us a little pride back and some much needed confidence. Let's win it and keep a clean sheet in doing so!