Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Ramsey was absolutely brilliant last season and the relationship with Moreno down the left is a big miss for Villa this season.

I'd hope Villa are very careful with both though and do not push them back too quickly.

Anyway Ramsey has to start when fit and in terms of who drops out I think it seems a difficult situation; McGinn can often fade quickly playing two games in a week so perhaps he gets rotated and drops out against a so-called weaker team?

It's why managing players is so important for fitness, ego, morale etc.

Currently he'll be a rotation option until he get fully fit, and match sharp. 

I fully expect our best forward line to be Ramsey, Diaby, Zaniolo, with Watkins in front. McGinn is the 12th man in my eyes, if any of those are injured or need resting he's in the team. 

In regards to McGinn, I love the bloke, but if all our player are fit and in form, he doesn't make the best 11.

I don't expect to see this line up that often, as with the amount of games we want to be playing and winning, a lot of Rotaton is necessary, plus injuries will happen.

What I'm trying to say is that what happens to McGinn is that he will play loads of games so long as he's fit, the same as JJ! 

I wouldnt obsess too much about who gets dropped for her from our starting 11.

Starting 11 is an increasingly complex concept under Unai. Looking at the impact our subs made against Palace emphasises how there are different phases in games which may call for different personnel.

Used to be that the best 11 players were your minute 1 starters but going forward I think Emery will be more mindful of what phase of the game he wants to see some of his players contribute to 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

McGinn gets into our best XI every single time. 

For me McGinn doesn't. I see McGinn as a proper box to box midfielder. But we don't really play with b2b midfielder.

As a more advanced midfielder I feel he is a little lacking in technique. As a more defensive midfielder he is a little lacking in his positioning.

He is so versatile that we can easily fit him in the team, but we have better fits now in all his positions. This season so far of 5 prem starts, only 2 of those has he played well. This need to improve. He was invisible against Liverpool and Newcastle, and got subbed first on Saturday because he was very ineffective.

I don't see him as anywhere near as important as Luiz for example. He isn't in undroppable, or vital to the team. He leads by example, so if he isn't playing well, he isn't leading well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@Zatman was right about Zaniolo fans. One of the latest posts on the OS Instagram page has a photo up with JJ as the feature, and the comments are packed with Zaniolo GIFs! 😂

It wasn’t me!!!

😂

But they’re speaking my language 😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Currently he'll be a rotation option until he get fully fit, and match sharp. 

I fully expect our best forward line to be Ramsey, Diaby, Zaniolo, with Watkins in front. McGinn is the 12th man in my eyes, if any of those are injured or need resting he's in the team. 

In regards to McGinn, I love the bloke, but if all our player are fit and in form, he doesn't make the best 11.

I don't expect to see this line up that often, as with the amount of games we want to be playing and winning, a lot of Rotaton is necessary, plus injuries will happen.

What I'm trying to say is that what happens to McGinn is that he will play loads of games so long as he's fit, the same as JJ! 

I’d bet he does 

9 hours ago, Philosopher said:

For me McGinn doesn't. I see McGinn as a proper box to box midfielder. But we don't really play with b2b midfielder.

As a more advanced midfielder I feel he is a little lacking in technique. As a more defensive midfielder he is a little lacking in his positioning.

He is so versatile that we can easily fit him in the team, but we have better fits now in all his positions. This season so far of 5 prem starts, only 2 of those has he played well. This need to improve. He was invisible against Liverpool and Newcastle, and got subbed first on Saturday because he was very ineffective.

I don't see him as anywhere near as important as Luiz for example. He isn't in undroppable, or vital to the team. He leads by example, so if he isn't playing well, he isn't leading well. 

Although he improved last year, JJ isn't exactly the best in defending either. I'd put McGinn a little ahead in defending, JJ a little ahead in attack.

Agreed that McGinn is not as important as Doug. Neither is JJ. Particularly with Mings hurt, Doug may be the most important player in the team right now.

6 hours ago, TomC said:

Although he improved last year, JJ isn't exactly the best in defending either. I'd put McGinn a little ahead in defending, JJ a little ahead in attack.

Agreed that McGinn is not as important as Doug. Neither is JJ. Particularly with Mings hurt, Doug may be the most important player in the team right now.

Which is why left mid I'd pick Ramsey a head of McGinn, because it's a more attacking role. And Right mid I'd pick Zaniolo for the same reason. And no 10 is Diaby's position! 

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I agree with @Philosopher. McGinn is obviously a very good player, but he's not quite creative enough/good enough in tight spaces to hold down an attacking role in this side long term IMO. He'll get plenty of minutes though no doubt.

Exactly with ECL football a first 11 isn't really relevant anymore. It's about a core of 16 or 17 players whom will get loads of minutes. Then 6 or 7 that will supplement that core.

I would say our core group is very good. We have McGinn, Tielemens, Bailey, Carlos, and Digne in addition to the first 11. If it weren't for the injuries we could add Buendia and Mings to that. Also Duran is staking a claim to join that group. The squad is looking very good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomC said:

I think ramsey is more consistent with tracking his man which is most important when out wide. They so have very similar stats for tackles, interceptions and blocks which indicates their pressing is very similar. 

Â