Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

With Marv hopefully being available next match, I think we should give JJ a rest and play a midfield three of Marv, SJM and Sanson. A lot of JJ’s best performances have come as an impact sub. Bringing him and Doug on later in the game could really give us a boost.

Huge fan of JJ but I don’t think he offers enough atm to be starting every week. He’d maybe benefit from having Marv and Luiz behind him. Apart from the odd run towards the defence I think he’s offered very little recently. If we don’t sign coutinho I’d even try him in that position and strengthen the midfield

• Like 2

Deserved a goal, anonymous afterwards. He's not our best player, not our worst and not our most influential.

When he's on song he can be our difference maker but he hasn't been that in a few weeks now. At 20 he shouldn't be any of those 4 things. Fortunately we're well clear of relegation so these are all just good minutes for him, if we were in trouble it'd be hugely detrimental to his development to keep slinging him out there. I still think we're better off playing Sanson or rotating him with Tim/Chuk but going missing for a few games in a waste of a season isn't going to end his career.

Fortunately he's not the scapegoat at the moment, that falls to Mings, McGinn, Watkins or Konsa. But sooner or later it'll fall to Jacob and that's when we need to see Gerrard protect him and rest him 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I've always been Ramsey's biggest fan. I'm not actually convinced right now that he's going to be as good as I thought.

He'll be 21 in a few weeks. When Grealish turned 21 he'd featured in 118 games of senior football (including 37-odd for Notts County), had gotten to play League 1 and a year or two of Championship football. 

It wasn't until our second year in the Ch'ship that he became a key player for us, when he was 21 turning 22. And by our third season he was our standout man going 22/23. Grealish had the opportunity to grow up in lower divisions and a lot more game time to become the player he became.

Ramsey is growing up in a better club, around better players, in a better division and without the relatively easy ride Grealish had in the lower leagues. As players they shouldn't be compared but their experiences are very different and it is worth noting thT at this point in his career - Jack was still a bit of an unknown force and became one of the best players most fans have seen in our kit.

Jacob deserves our time and patience in the same way, even if the level of the club is very different to 16/17 Aston Villa

• Like 4

People say he's overrated because he's 'one of our own' so people are more biased, but I think it's somehow more the opposite, and he's somehow underrated by a lot of Villa fans, seems he only gets the praise he deserves when he scores, and when he goes a few games without scoring he's suddenly back to being 'nothing special' or 'needing a rest', and so on. I think he's a contender for our player of the season, and has been our best midfielder. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I've always been Ramsey's biggest fan. I'm not actually convinced right now that he's going to be as good as I thought.

the kids 20 for crickey's sake, some of the goals he has scored, and general play at times are more than "good" for a 20 year old.

Yeah he has good and bad days etc, but he's 20, he's going to, and i agree he might be a bit tired etc and in need of a rest, but even today vs Spurs, that one moment where he just skipped by a player and got a shot off, so unlucky for that to not be a goal, great bit of skill.

tbh, he's way better on balance than i thought he would be when he first broke in to the team.

I would love to see Ramsey and Gallagher as our number 8s if im honest, but the highest praise i can give Ramsey, is of our current midfield 3 (Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey), he is the only one of them i wouldnt replace (and thats even accounting for his slight fluctuations in form due probably, to his age), i think with a quality 6, and another quality 8 alongside him, he would really shine.

• Like 1

I still think he'll be good, just not as good as I thought. Nothing to do with consistency, and I wouldn't even take his age into account, just noticed a couple of things in his game that maybe weren't as strong as what I thought.

I hope he proves me wrong, as I said I was his biggest fan and defender.

Edited by Tom13

Today was his best match in a while.

I think I was one of the first people around here to suggest giving him a rest once in a while (last autumn) but I think that the last international break gave him some rest. (I don't think one U21 international against Andorra taxed him too much.) With two more weeks off coming up, I'm sure he'll be straight back into the team. But the fixture list gets more congested after that. That's when he'll need a rest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

People say he's overrated because he's 'one of our own' so people are more biased, but I think it's somehow more the opposite, and he's somehow underrated by a lot of Villa fans, seems he only gets the praise he deserves when he scores, and when he goes a few games without scoring he's suddenly back to being 'nothing special' or 'needing a rest', and so on. I think he's a contender for our player of the season, and has been our best midfielder. 

Is there not a single young player of ours you don't think is underrated by our fanbase?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I still think he'll be good, just not as good as I thought. Nothing to do with consistency, and I wouldn't even take his age into account, just noticed a couple of things in his game that maybe weren't as strong as what I thought.

I hope he proves me wrong, as I said I was his biggest fan and defender.

Think right now he's suffering from a lack of balance in midfield as well as fatigue. He needs a week off. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Think right now he's suffering from a lack of balance in midfield as well as fatigue. He needs a week off. 

We don’t play again now until 23rd April, so time to recharge the batteries and by which time perhaps Nakamba will be ready to start?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think cwetainly benefits from a rest. Why sanson didnt play yesterday is a absolute mystery

I agree but I suppose Ramsey provides more drive and power and first half we looked on top. Second half we just capitulated. 

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

If he carries on developing at this rate he’ll be comfortably our best player next season 

Of the midfield 3 yesterday he is the only one I'd guarantee being a week in week out starter next season. He is an exceptional talent, especially his ball carrying ability, and is only going to get better. I think he still lacks a little confidence but that will come. It is easy to forget sometimes he is only 20.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â