• Grealish
    • Abraham
    • Elmohamady (Bolasie 63)
    • Kodjia (Adomah 73)
    • Hourihane (Freakish 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/18 at 18:45

The biggest obvious difference for me was the pressure we put on them, the number of times we won the ball around the half way line then be in a 3 on 3 situation I lost count, fantastic stuff

I was telling my brother @Thug earlier today how under Bruce we just let the other team have possession and just sit back, so this was the most satisfying thing for me today along with passing along the ground

EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I also think it's well worth pointing out how collosal our support is. It made me chuckle when Swansea fans sang about our support being flipping shoddy. When was the last time they had a 40k plus attendance at home in the second tier?

To be fair their ground only holds 21,000 so would be a little difficult

• Haha 1

I can't believe some of the comments I have read after today's game.

Granted we are not the finished product, but from recent performances and today's performance it was like night and day.

From the off today we have played football out from the back with an intent to keep possession. I can count the long balls on one hand there were that few.

For Smith to implement those changes in a week of training with half a squad is absolutely superb. Give him some more time to work with them properly and we could begin to see something special here. Second half we were always going to drop off the pace a bit as Swansea counteracted what we were doing, that will be fixed in time.

The performance and the result were both better than I expected and I can't see how anyone can have any complaints.

Nyland was great in goal. both him and Taylor looked to have an instant boost of confidence today.

McGinn was superb, absolutely immense in every aspect of his game. He will be a massive miss on Tuesday.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fifamad said:

I thought it was a below average performance tbh, we were lucky to win, we look a mediocre team, thought there would be a lot more enthusiasm from the team. 

It was poor at times, but what did you expect? It won’t sort itself overnight. What I did see though was enthusiasm and players willing to have a go. It dropped second half, but we were tired. I think Swansea were the lucky ones in the sense that they still had a chance at 1.0. The game should have been put to bed by halftime by us. Same early second half. Yes we let them into the game, but we were the better team. We actually looked like a team yesterday, and had shape, and balance. Overall it was a good match, and a great result. Give it time mate, we are where we are for a reason. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Great crowd for Deano. Respectful for DE, loved the My Lord verse for the sheep shaggers

Went home happy. could be in a different place by next Saturday if we can get another 6 points 

Loud at times, but flat at times too. That’s football nowadays though. I still don’t think The Holte generates the noise it should. 

16 hours ago, romavillan said:

Only given Smith "Average" because all he's done is pick the most balanced side available in his favoured shape based on the extremely little he's seen in training. The real value of Smith will take a bit more time to come through.

Not great, but clean sheet and 3 points. All the Brucer's shoudl be ecstatic with that at least. Thor is either on drugs or sees shadows from another dimension, or is in some sort of distorted bubble of space time, there were times when he had oodles of time and space, the pass was clear and he's chipped it to no-one or straight up passed it to one of them. The effects of whatever it is seem to come and go though, did some simple stuff well and covered a lot of ground but his WTAF moments are literally incredible, in the sense that I find it impossible to believe.

Grealish up the middle is just a no-brainer, it's where he can influence things the most. They only had a couple of days with teh full squad together so the confusion with the shape that was obvious at times on anf off the ball will disappear with time. Still though 42k at home in the Championship, 3/4 of serie A would kill for that at home in the top flight and there's not a great many clubs that would command that kind of following in the second tier. Great to know we're one of them and that we have a Villan as head coach and a Villan playing number 10. 

The longest journey starts with the smallest step. Onwards and upwards.

Average, lol.......have you listened to his post match interview?

I Think you are doing him an injustice.

He did more than pick players in position. He got the team playing on the front foot, higher up the pitch and working the space without the ball. He also made substitutions when required.

Given the short time he has been here I thought his performance was very good. Under the circumstances I'm not sure what else he could have done.

First time seeing McGinn play live yesterday. What a monster. Nyland did do well, but that blunder in the first half and his distribution leave something to be desired. Potential there without doubt. 

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Overall I thought it was an enjoyable match which could have easilly resulted in more goals for both teams.

Positives:

Nyland - made some crucial saves.

McGinn - put in a great performance in the middle of the park.

Team selection - players playing in logicial positions!

Substitions - on the whole positive moves even if Kodija/Bolasie could have done better when they came on.

The crowd - 40k+ and felt like the beginning of a new era.

My daugher for the first time talking about Villa as "her team".

Negatives:

The players looking tired after an hour - something for Smith to work on.

Ordererd a chicken balti pie but ended up with chicken and mushroom. Ate it anyway!

UTV - let's hope this is the start of something good.

Chicken and Mushroom!? SMITH OUT!

First half performance was excellent, great to see such a collective effort to win the ball back once dispossessed. I said to my pal that I’ve been down countless times and have passed comment on how we always seem to be outnumbered somehow but thought the opposite today. Played a high line which gave the midfield space to create albeit finishing was a bit lacklustre but the positives are certainly there. Second half I think tiredness set in and it left us exposed at times but hoping this will improve. Our two centre backs at centre back had a great game! Who’d have thunk it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never expected much in such a short space of time.....DS said they had been working all week on shutting teams out, that showed thought CB's were good.

I think it will take some time to see stark differences, but clean sheet and a win, was great.

I thought before the match,Swansea might have nicked a win on our big day.....so i am pleased.

Pleased how Dean explains detail that we can relate to....fed up of nebulous after match quotes.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Solid but unspectacular. After 7 days, I'll certainly take that! Swansea are going to be there (or thereabouts!) and we could have a few more today with some better decision making, clinical finishing and more favourable decisions from the ref.

Positives; Nyland was outstanding today, shot stopping wise at least. There also seemed to be more of a plan on how to play. The back four adapted well to the unusual request of playing in their own positions too...

Negatives; Sorry but Grealish is our weak link at the moment. He needs dropping. He's weak in midfield, his passing is poor, his shooting terrible and he slows play down in the hope of winning a freekick. Can you imagine some Spurs scouts were watching today's game; do you spend £40m on Grealish or McGinn?! He's offering nothing and I want a manager who has the balls to drop him. Bolasie's cameo was pretty horrendous too!

Good start, keep it going...

Brave comment on Jack.....but something is clearly not right, with his play.

I hope Dean can get him to be more effective.

17 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Agreed....he is a very good player 'on his day' and I'm hoping DS can get the best out of him! But, FFS Jack just stop throwing yourself to the floor it's embarrassing.  

We all know jack is a talent and no one wants to bin that.....but he needs to work on avoiding contact and not seemingly attracting it.....He needs to move the ball quicker, that may take better team work to receive it.

We are not getting the best out of a natural talent.

• Like 2

Â