Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fair comment.....so we should have brought in some experience.

Looks like we might be trying to address this.Probably no surprise that our best players (Aside from the likes of Jack, McGinn etc) recently brought in are the more experienced ones.

Mings and Heaton.

Moreso Heaton, you can just see and feel the composure and experience there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

My reason for wanting DS to go now is this.

The whole reason of any football match in any division, in any country in the world is simply to move the ball forward,to get it to your striker and then to score more goals than the opposition.

What is our focus of attack..........Wesley and who keeps playing him in every game.....DS

What are out tactics ...... 4 3 3 in every game, irrespective of whether we are at home or away.Irrespective of whether the opposition attack down the wings or through the middle.Irrespective of what formation the opposition are using.These are basic things,yet DS cant/wont see them.He cant see that Wesley is a young player in a foreign country,does not speak the language,is in a tougher league but on top of all that DS expects him to lead the line.Wesley has gone something like 12 games without a goal ( without even comming close to a goal ) but will DS try Kodija or 4 4 2 no.

At the start of the season we did really well against Spurs,Arsenal etc.What has happened to cause our collapse.The players have lost confidence in Wesley ( they move the ball forward and what happens...nothing.They have lost confidence in the manager because he will not change anything.Different players have come in and out of the team,Jotta,Hause,Houraine etc etc etc but never Wesley.

The bottom line is that DS does not seem to know what he is doing anymore.The faults are so very basic, but he apparently cant see them or he refuses to do anything about them.I dont know what his problem is but if we stick with him I can only see more of the same.How hard would it be to start Kodija against Burnley ?! I would not expect him to score a hat trick but he does offer more to the rest of the team.

Dont worry about the defence for now, concentrate on scoring more goals than the opposition.

Your first paragraph is very simplistic and i don't disagree....but the opposition have the same idea.......its the teams that make provision for the opposition that prosper.

30 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You’ll feel better right up to the point that you realise the guy you have replaced him with is even worse!

With respect, id suggest it’s almost impossible to replace Wesley with anything worse?! Currently providing zero goals, zero assists, zero attempts at goal. Does it get any worse for a CF than that?

9 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

With respect, id suggest it’s almost impossible to replace Wesley with anything worse?! Currently providing zero goals, zero assists, zero attempts at goal. Does it get any worse for a CF than that?

this

i honestly believe, a national league striker would have had more attempts on goal in the last 8 games than wesley. not saying that makes them a better player, but they would have certainly offered more

31 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Not disagreeing with you because I haven’t done the comparison but I’m shocked by this! Heaton at 31 (?), Mings at 26, and isn’t every other member of our first team under 24? Must be some young squads around I guess!

As a slight separate point I think the question is also about experience not just age. We lack a lot of PL know how. Of our outfield players I guess Grealish has played the most PL games by a distance. A lot of them are only 10-20 games into their PL career. That’s fine for one or two but you can run into some problems when it’s everyone - that’s a big part of why we have failed to see out so many games we were winning late on.

In fairness, I think we may be higher up on the list if we only looked at our first team instead of the whole squad but that's much harder to compare and for all we know, the same could be true of some of the other teams too.

Edit: Oh wait, transfermarkt does have such a comparison. It says we are 4th place in terms of average age of starting 11, but 12th place in terms of average age of squad.(The higher the placing the younger) Assuming they have our starting 11s right, I retract this point then.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Your first paragraph is very simplistic and i don't disagree....but the opposition have the same idea.......its the teams that make provision for the opposition that prosper.

Football is a simple game.My theory on why we are so bad now is ( related to my post ) we started the season really well against Spurs and Arsenal etc but as the season has wore on the players have realised that they are runnung into a brick wall and are now on the point of giving up entirely.Nothing new is comming from DS,not Kodija up front ( or even El Gazar ) no new formation.Just keep plugging away at the old system no matter what and keep telling the bolloking the players for not trying while at the same time giving them no option at all up front.Keep playing Jack out wide is another of his master strokes.

36 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The people who earn a vast amount of money to make this decision, who also have the advantage of seeing all players up close and personal every day, respectfully disagree (as do I). Kodjia could not even perform in the Championship!

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The people who earn a vast amount of money to make this decision, who also have the advantage of seeing all players up close and personal every day, respectfully disagree (as do I). Kodjia could not even perform in the Championship!

I've seen this argument several times and I really don't get it. It's essentially saying the management team know more than us about football, so they're probably right and we're wrong.

But if that's the case what's the point of debating anything the manager does? We're all just randos, none(well most) of us don't have the qualifications these guys have, whatever disagreement we may have with the manager you can just pull out that old chestnut.

Its not as if managers haven't been wrong a lot in the past either, in fact we like to go around and laugh at the obvious failures of past managers even though these people also had infinitely more football qualifications than any of us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The problem as I see it is..... scouting in leagues that give you ample time on the ball and then coming in to this cauldron of physicality, is an eye opener.

That should have been factored in when we bought these players.....This season was about staying up and that meant a fight to do so.

some of these players might be great in a few seasons...(i.e look at Traore now.).....but it won't help us now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Nobody is saying Kodjia is the answer, but right now its damage limitation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I've seen this argument several times and I really don't get it. It's essentially saying the management team know more than us about football, so they're probably right and we're wrong.

But if that's the case what's the point of debating anything the manager does? We're all just randos, none(well most) of us don't have the qualifications these guys have, whatever disagreement we may have with the manager you can just pull out that old chestnut.

Its not as if managers haven't been wrong a lot in the past either, in fact we like to go around and laugh at the obvious failures of past managers even though these people also had infinitely more football qualifications than any of us.

But there are loads of different aspects to management that you can get wrong. Formations, tactics, motivation et al are all key parts. These are all things that past and current management have got wrong.
This is slightly different. We play a formation and tactics that depend upon having a lone attacker. There are probably only 3 viable alternatives at the club to fill that role; Wes, Kodj and Davis. Davis is injured which leaves two. Surely even the world’s worst manager could make the correct choice between two players to play a very defined role. 
I know that it is not really working for Wes at the moment but the argument that anybody else would be better is ridiculous. It ignores the fact that part of the problem is totally unrelated to Wes and is directly attributable to factors out of his control.

I can just imagine a little voice from the back of the dressing room...." I try to pass the ball, but they won't let me"

and a voice comes back " well if you can't......stop them from passing it, then" or do ****ing something to make it hard for them.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

El Ghazi....and then he can't hide on the wing.....smoke 'em out.

Ha ha. He is frustrating AEG. He gives us something that we don’t really have elsewhere but he does switch off so much. There is a player in there but he is struggling to get out consistently.

Not sure he is a CF though. Can you imagine a big lump CH going straight through the back of him?! We wouldn’t see him again all season!

Just seen this quote from Christian Purslow, published on the offical site on May 29th... "There’s no interest in flirting with the catastrophe of relegation"... He also said that our aim wasn't just to make up the numbers. Well as things stand we're doing those very things, so will have to see what he does about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Ha ha. He is frustrating AEG. He gives us something that we don’t really have elsewhere but he does switch off so much. There is a player in there but he is struggling to get out consistently.

Not sure he is a CF though. Can you imagine a big lump CH going straight through the back of him?! We wouldn’t see him again all season!

Palpitations.

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Palpitations.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Football is a simple game.My theory on why we are so bad now is ( related to my post ) we started the season really well against Spurs and Arsenal etc but as the season has wore on the players have realised that they are runnung into a brick wall and are now on the point of giving up entirely.Nothing new is comming from DS,not Kodija up front ( or even El Gazar ) no new formation.Just keep plugging away at the old system no matter what and keep telling the bolloking the players for not trying while at the same time giving them no option at all up front.Keep playing Jack out wide is another of his master strokes.

spot on, the start of season you get by with a touch of new team fire & surprise, then it dyes down.. the fans leave you to it & hey presto ..were not good enough!

smith is not inspiring me, playing our best player wide & doing it in a game we need to win v 10 men! 

sticking his hopes on a forward who is arguable the worst CF the club has bought in the last 30 years!

theirs more wrong than right which leads to villa playing in the championship next year & we all know the script on that record

smith may walk when burnley give us a football lesson new years day 

• Like 1

Â