Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I didn’t like the somewhat glib reply of smith on Saturday when he quipped ‘ my jobs not under threat ‘ after the game - as a manager with 4 points from the last 30 his job bloody well should be under threat .

utter madness giving a 4 year contract at the time we did - should have kept us up before getting such a reward 

Standard response.

I am not sure I understand the thinking on the contract, maybe he was well under paid for the league we are in and they thought it was having an adverse effect of him and the team.....just speculating.

I would love to know what John Terry's take is on all this form collapse?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You couldn’t have defended him more without literally looking either insane or like Bruce Jnr.

Also, let’s see where Newcastle and Bruce are after he has a few transfer windows. Right now he’s using Rafa’s team.

I am not going reignite this debate....you are welcome to your opinion.

but it could be argued Tammy was instrumental in getting us up, SB signing along with McGinn another SB signing.....so come on fairs ,fair.

Dean himself showed huge humility after the final.....citing both goalscorers, being SB Signings.

SB is not he worst manager in the transfer market, like you I didn't like his football much, not as exciting as Deans.....but maybe right now, we could do with a bit of Brucies " Functionality " football to survive.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but it could be argued Tammy was instrumental in getting us up, SB signing along with McGinn another SB signing.....so come on fairs ,fair.

Dean himself showed huge humility after the final.....citing both goalscorers, being SB Signings.

SB is not he worst manager in the transfer market, like you I didn't like his football much, not as exciting as Deans.....but maybe right now, we could do with a bit of Brucies " Functionality " football to survive.

Functionality football you say ? In that case maybe Sean dyche could be your kind of man Tro - I don’t wish to seem ungrateful as I loved what dean has done for us but he really needs to get back on track fast as once in the bottom 3 it becomes a noose around your neck and is not that easy to get out - all teams are fighting but we are rolling over - let’s see what burnley brings - hopefully a few egos have been bruised and we see a reaction  from both players and staff 

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Functionality football you say ? In that case maybe Sean dyche could be your kind of man Tro - I don’t wish to seem ungrateful as I loved what dean has done for us but he really needs to get back on track fast as once in the bottom 3 it becomes a noose around your neck and is not that easy to get out - all teams are fighting but we are rolling over - let’s see what burnley brings - hopefully a few egos have been bruised and we see a reaction  from both players and staff 

Eastie , you are right, I too have enjoyed games under DS i would be lying if i said different.

but is like a car with a V8 engine and power to burn......but no brakes to stop it......Its incomplete.

That's us sweet football in the early months, no sustainability.....injuries have not helped.

some say he is inexperienced and needs time.....but so is Chris Wilder and not long ago was in Div 1.....but his philosophy of building a team is more rounded and complete, horses for courses.....Deans is much too open.

I feel that as long as we keep playing a striker who's heat spot shows he spends very little time in the box, our best play making midfielder on the wing. and CBs playing too far up the pitch. Then IMO hard work is not enough. the tactics need to change. Dean has made player changes, but stuck to same tactics. Some of the team look Knackered when the 90 minutes is up, because they are running around like headless chickens with no plan (like a ship without a rudder or navigator) Please Dean just look at what other teams around you are doing and if you cant see it. Then its time to let some one else

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm just saying. You said maybe you should have defended Bruce more. That wasn't possible. It's all well and good looking at where Bruce is now with someone else's team, but the fact of the matter is that he had over 18 months to build a team at Villa and he had us in the bottom half after a favourable run of fixtures last season.

We could say that Mourinho would do better than Smith right now, but it's pointless talking about a manager that we'd have no chance of getting. In the same way that there's no point in discussing how much better off we'd be if we now had Bruce, when I'm 99.99% sure that we wouldn't have got to the Prem if Bruce had stayed in charge.

Smith is here, let's keep the topic on him. Or talk about potential replacements. But let's keep the King Bruce chat for the Bruce thread :lol:

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

Why do you think we needed to buy a whole new team in the summer?

Because your favourite manager, after being given extensive resources, had built nothing long term for us. A load of loans and aging players. 

But sure, you question whether you defended him enough. Wow

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Standard response.

I am not sure I understand the thinking on the contract, maybe he was well under paid for the league we are in and they thought it was having an adverse effect of him and the team.....just speculating.

I think there was something posted online a month or so ago.

Showing that he was actually one of the lowest paid in the League. So would make sense.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Standard response.

The way I see it is 1 of 2 possible scenarios:

1. More compo if we were to sack him (kind of a thanks for getting us promoted bonus kind of thing) 

Or 

2. Players have been acting up and this was the owners trying to get them to tow the line by showing them that they back him so they'll have to wind their necks in. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

The way I see it is 1 of 2 possible scenarios:

1. More compo if we were to sack him (kind of a thanks for getting us promoted bonus kind of thing) 

Or 

2. Players have been acting up and this was the owners trying to get them to tow the line by showing them that they back him so they'll have to wind their necks in. 

Players acting up and running to the owner is something we are led to believe that happened  often at Chelsea down the years .

i wonder if JT has been involved in any such actions ? 

‘I’m far from convinced that there is a happy camp at villa behind the scenes - the spirit is gone - maybe there are  splits 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

I think the reason for the new contract could be a combination of many things. Too many to speculate really. It probably doesn’t matter that much as I would expect us to have a sensible break clause in the contract that will minimise any compensation due in the event that it is terminated.

On the wider subject of the competence of the manager. I have always held reservations over his suitability. Those feelings were only magnified when we went on our awful run last year and also when interviewed at the start of the season when he talked, in a very coy manner, going to Anfield and Man City and out playing the opposition at their own game! I mean, that is impossible for us. We need to be much cleverer than that surely!

Having said all of that, I really think Dean is good for the club and I want him to get it right. Being a Villan does provide a nice conduit between fans and owners. He does genuinely understand us. He does want to meet our hopes and expectations. He does want to excite and entertain us. He has earned a bit longer to prove himself in my view. Our fate is far from confirmed just yet. We can easily climb the table. January will be massive. Some good signings (pace and power please), return from injury of Mings and Engels and a return to form of some of the other players and things could be much brighter.

• Like 4

My main concern is the effort and fight, defending as a team etc, or lack of all those things.

It's like people turning on Nakamba, when he first came in to the 11 people were praising him, and I think he works hard, ibalso think one of the main issues is he was working hard and few others were which was leaving him isolated, even the best players can look poor when isolated (not saying he's the best player, just that he was isolated).

Most of our players just look like they are hiding and not helping defend as a team, I honestly don't think the "defence" itself isnt a problem (not the main problem), I honestly think its partly that we play an open(ish) style which is prone to leaving them exposed, ESPECIALLY when 50% of the team isn't defending from the front, tracking back or pressing properly, or just hiding and not offering out balls.

I can forgive a lack of talent, but I cant forgive a lack of effort or fight, and I think a fair few of our players are hiding.

What shocks me more is that it has been allowed to happen, maybe deano is a little soft?, but with someone like JT and Mings in the dressing room, I'm surprised they haven't been beasting anyone who doesn't work hard?

I said it in another thread, when watching liverpool v wolves is it was insightful how hard both teams worked right from the strikers back, players on both sides offering themselves for the ball, tracking back and working hard, its embarrassing when you compare that work rate to ours, that's not skill, thats just pure effort and work rate.

Is it that deano has lost the players and they aren't working for him?, i don't know, but what I do know is the lack of effort and work rate is criminal, no excuse for it.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Exactly, and why is that? Because your love for this club is bigger than any misgivings you may have towards any individual. Now is not the time for personal agendas, let's give Deano our full support in what is going to be a mighty task in ensuring our premier league status. 

Its because of the love of the club that DS must go,so that the club can stay up.As for our full support, I thought he had that from day 1 in the Premier league.

The supporters have shown their full support.What has DS shown, apart from incompetence at this level.

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Its because of the love of the club that DS must go,so that the club can stay up.As for our full support, I thought he had that from day 1 in the Premier league.

The supporters have shown their full support.What has DS shown, apart from incompetence at this level.

The season is a marathon, not a sprint, we are halfway through it.

And to say ALL he has shown is incompetence is a bit dramatic.

Certainly alot of questionable elements to his tenure so far, but there have also been alot of positives, EVEN this season I might add.

We are in a rut, on the pitch, as a club, and as fans, what happens if we win the next 3 or 4 games, get our main players back, and a few quality signings?

Don't get me wrong i'm as emotional as the next fan and was ready for him to go at the end of the last match. 

Obviously i'm also scared, on one hand, we could possibly wait too long to pull the trigger, and already be relegated.

OR we could pull the trigger too quickly, and unfairly, then go into free fall, of course body language hasn't indicated that players are playing for him, but the truth is we don't know.

Sacking him might actually make alot of the players unhappy and want to leave also (The better ones)

As things stand, I think he deserves a window.

The only way we should get rid is if we have a masterstroke of a manager lined up IMO.

My view could totally change again after Burnley... lol

• Thanks 1

A lot of people keep mentioning the spend over the summer, but a lot of our players are priced because of their potential, not because of where they are right now.

Douglas Luiz is one of our most valuable assets (Transfermarkt values him at £18m), but he's 21 years old. Whereas Sean Dyche has Ashley Westwood, who is priced on Transfermarkt at £6m, but right now you'd take Westwood over Luiz in the relegation scrap, purely because he's more experienced.

So everyone saying Dean Smith has this amazingly valuable squad to work with, it's really only Heaton, Mings, Jota and Hourihane who are at "peak" age. Everyone else is priced according to their future potential.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of people keep mentioning the spend over the summer, but a lot of our players are priced because of their potential, not because of where they are right now.

Douglas Luiz is one of our most valuable assets (Transfermarkt values him at £18m), but he's 21 years old. Whereas Sean Dyche has Ashley Westwood, who is priced on Transfermarkt at £6m, but right now you'd take Westwood over Luiz in the relegation scrap, purely because he's more experienced.

So everyone saying Dean Smith has this amazingly valuable squad to work with, it's really only Heaton, Mings, Jota and Hourihane who are at "peak" age. Everyone else is priced according to their future potential.

Sure, although Grealish is likely as £80m asset and McGinn at least was very highly rated.

But I agree, we've spent on potential rather than current ability in some cases. And in some cases we've just overspent.

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure, although Grealish is likely as £80m asset and McGinn at least was very highly rated.

But I agree, we've spent on potential rather than current ability in some cases. And in some cases we've just overspent.

And then there’s Wesley.

• Like 1

Â