Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well no he has had a grudge since, even when we won. He is an opinion not to take serious

Not the impression I get......but there is always something from the most agreeable poster, we can all possibly not agree with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

well, it isn't is it....it was just his opinion and we might have to take is seriously, Hope not but the signs arn't good and I am loathe to support any manager that concedes like holes in a sieve.

I defended Bruce against folk who never wanted him in the first place.......maybe they were right and I was wrong....I have to accept that.

It is though. Me and you have had rational debates before.....many times. that poster wanted Smith gone from the start so his opinion is pretty much irrelevant on the matter. He tries to destroy every thread with his Smith bashing

funny enough when we win he disappears

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Correct, and our best defender and defensive leader has been out injured.

If we can get Mings fit for the rest of the season, things will improve.

An injury to your best centre back is a disaster for any team.

I wish it was that simple Kent i really do. But I'm afraid our defensive problems goes much deeper than just Mings being injured.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

villalad wanted Smith sacked from his 1st game so his opinion is pretty much null and void

This thread would get more sensible if you would start addressing the serious loss of form we are suffering now and stop obsessing about something you claim @villalad21 said months ago ( the rest of us weren’t keeping notes).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This thread would get more sensible if you would start addressing the serious loss of form we are suffering now and stop obsessing about something you claim @villalad21 said months ago ( the rest of us weren’t keeping notes).

well he is known on this forum for it. even when we win he wants Smith out. so not a serious poster ;) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It is though. Me and you have had rational debates before.....many times. that poster wanted Smith gone from the start so his opinion is pretty much irrelevant on the matter. He tries to destroy every thread with his Smith bashing

funny enough when we win he disappears

The problem I have....I see those errors/issues sometimes when we win.

but you can't be taken seriously when we win, because folk accuse folk like me, of being never satisfied, "but a stitch in time saves nine" and here we are today.

Might be the paddy in me....(My old fella come from Cabra west, near the old cattle market)....I do try to keep them rational....but I am really angry with the team right now for the manner of the defeats

Edited by TRO

Personally I’m enjoying all the opinions here. VillaLad was far from alone in questioning whether Smith was really up to the job last year, before our run, even if the questioning was just notes of caution. At least one prominent podcast was wondering if results with Brentford gave us pause for thought. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wish it was that simple Kent i really do. But I'm afraid our defensive problems goes much deeper than just Mings being injured.

Not saying for a moment that Mings fixes all of our defensive problems. But when Mings was fit, we weren't having the defensive nightmares we've been having recently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem I have....I see those errors/issues sometimes when we win.

but you can't be taken seriously when we win, because folk accuse folk like me, of being never satisfied, "but a stitch in time saves nine" and here we are today.

Might be the paddy in me....(My old fella come from Cabra west, near the old cattle market)....I do try to keep them rational....but I am really angry with the team right now for the manner of the defeats

How were you so much behind Bruce to the very very end?

Issues were there with him throughout (especially in the wins!) and he was immune from criticism for some. 

You should call out anything you think isn't good if you feel you can.

Performances in the last 4 games have been criminal under Smith. Absolutely criminal. Ability and confidence in incredibly short supply right now in the squad.

I'm not known for slagging Smith from the beginning so I will say my bit.

I knew from the start with his inexperience we might struggle, but as we had probably the best team in the Championship, any change of manager with attacking intent was gonna pay dividends, an it did, we won the play offs. I still think though, with the team we had, we proper struggled towards the end, reason being, we had no defensive plan when we were ahead, an his severe lack of any plan B, showed even then.

Now, personally I thought taking him with us to the Premier League was something only Lerner would have done. I think the board were still celebrating, an us, the dizzy heights of being promoted. There was no way on earth he was experienced enough to carry on as a coach/manager in the Premier League. Again the evidence being, he was managing Walsall 4 years earlier,  an fans can add sentiment all they want, but to me he wasn't really taking Brentford anywhere anytime soon either, I think most were just blinded by his attacking entertaining football.

An there I thought the problem lies, yes admittedly we came up to early, but Smith also came up much to early. If he does leave us, I doubt he will get another job in the Premier League just yet, he needs to go learn his trade a little more.

If we are fair to Smith, the board have done a Leaner and yet again chose the wrong manager for a rebuild job. We are not the force we used to be no, but AVFC has destroyed many a manager trying this, an we will continue to kill careers of managers who basically aren't up to the job. Dare I say it, the only success we have had with managers here are O'Neil, huge experience, an I thought Houllier was getting there to, but we all know the rest

Next manager, my opinion? Benitez is the only one who could rebuild the club and take us the places we want to go, our own FSW.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even those of us who back Smith can see the many problems this team has, but we are still only half way through the season and I firmly believe we have more chance of avoiding relegation with Deano than without him. He deserves to be given the chance to turn things around. 

Southampton lost 9 - 0 to Leicester and yet have still managed to regain their confidence and now look like a team very likely to avoid relegation. Who would have thought that a few months back? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Even those of us who back Smith can see the many problems this team has, but we are still only half way through the season and I firmly believe we have more chance of avoiding relegation with Deano than without him. He deserves to be given the chance to turn things around. 

Southampton lost 9 - 0 to Leicester and yet have still managed to regain their confidence and now look like a team very likely to avoid relegation. Who would have thought that a few months back? 

This is the point isn't it? Teams can find form without sacking their manager.

We've shown enough under Smith this season to suggest we can stay up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tbf, they were playing with 10 men for most of the game and it was against Leicester. Terrible result, but its always dangerous to judge a team based on a single result. You could've said the same thing about Watford after them being dismantled by City but I honestly don't think they were ever actually that bad of a team either.

The thing with us is, there's not really many excuses that can be made for losing 3-0 to 19th place, 10 men Watford. I honestly think its a step worse than getting demolished by title challengers. And its been coming to, its not one singular performance. Losing to Southampton the manner we did, essentially robbing the win from Norwich despite being outplayed by them. I think we're at the moment in an even significantly worst position than either of these 2 teams were in.

Yes, teams can come back from such a state but do you honestly think we will? Or do you just hope we do under Smith? As much as we can list teams who've managed such a comeback, we could also list many teams who've looked certain relegation candidaes and were relegated, so the argument of "other team can do it, why not us?" doesn't hold much weight by itself.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf, they were playing with 10 men for most of the game and it was against Leicester. Terrible result, but its always dangerous to judge a team based on a single result. You could've said the same thing about Watford after them being dismantled by City but I honestly don't think they were ever actually that bad of a team either.

The thing with us is, there's not really many excuses that can be made for losing 3-0 to 19th place, 10 men Watford. I honestly think its a step worse than getting demolished by title challengers. And its been coming to, its not one singular performance. Losing to Southampton the manner we did, essentially robbing the win from Norwich despite being outplayed by them. I think we're at the moment in an even significantly worst position than either of these 2 teams were in.

Yes, teams can come back from such a state but do you honestly think we will? Or do you just hope we do under Smith? As much as we can list teams who've managed such a comeback, we could also list many teams who've looked certain relegation candidaes and were relegated, so the argument of "other team can do it, why not us?" doesn't hold much weight by itself.

The fact that teams can come back from such a state is enough to fill me with hope that we will. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of how bad it is, but while there is still room for a fight, I will keep the faith. 

In Deano I trust. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I suspect if he was going he would be gone by now.

If Dean is staying we need two or three top quality additions who will fit into his 4-3-3 formation one of which simply has to be a striker.

I am not sure Dean can do it but he has my full support while he is here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but he is not a harsh critic....he is a critic like me.....because we see things that shouldn't be there despite just coming up.

He is addressing serious issues many of us can see and want remedied, else we will go down.... and silly remarks like expectation of top 6, is moving away from the issue with a throw a way comment like that.

If you watch the games and the play there are things clearly not right from many International  or (touted international) standard players....things you would expect to be right.

If you watch Wolves or Sheff Utd, you then will know top 6 for us would be a pipe dream, because we are no where near them.....and before we get looking for excuses....sheff Utd were in Div 1 not so long back with similar players,that we would never dream of signing.

Hahaha what a joke. 

How many times did you defend bruce when people constantly pointed out things that were worrying  

Bruce failed and you defended him blindly. Smith is 1 pt off his target and you're on him. Good consistency 

Â