Dean Smith

Demitri_C

My reason for wanting DS to go now is this.

The whole reason of any football match in any division, in any country in the world is simply to move the ball forward,to get it to your striker and then to score more goals than the opposition.

What is our focus of attack..........Wesley and who keeps playing him in every game.....DS

What are out tactics ...... 4 3 3 in every game, irrespective of whether we are at home or away.Irrespective of whether the opposition attack down the wings or through the middle.Irrespective of what formation the opposition are using.These are basic things,yet DS cant/wont see them.He cant see that Wesley is a young player in a foreign country,does not speak the language,is in a tougher league but on top of all that DS expects him to lead the line.Wesley has gone something like 12 games without a goal ( without even comming close to a goal ) but will DS try Kodija or 4 4 2 no.

At the start of the season we did really well against Spurs,Arsenal etc.What has happened to cause our collapse.The players have lost confidence in Wesley ( they move the ball forward and what happens...nothing.They have lost confidence in the manager because he will not change anything.Different players have come in and out of the team,Jotta,Hause,Houraine etc etc etc but never Wesley.

The bottom line is that DS does not seem to know what he is doing anymore.The faults are so very basic, but he apparently cant see them or he refuses to do anything about them.I dont know what his problem is but if we stick with him I can only see more of the same.How hard would it be to start Kodija against Burnley ?! I would not expect him to score a hat trick but he does offer more to the rest of the team.

Dont worry about the defence for now, concentrate on scoring more goals than the opposition.

Edited by PussEKatt

His persistence with Wesley is the only reason I want him to go. Just that one man. All he has to do is drop him. Just drop him. Simple as that. It’s really easy. Just don’t write his name down on the team sheet. 

The club failed him (I think) with a load of rubbish signings in the summer and made his job tough, no question, but to not drop the worst player in our entire squad, regardless of how he plays, is a sackable offence in itself. 

Just drop him, you’ll feel better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of people keep mentioning the spend over the summer, but a lot of our players are priced because of their potential, not because of where they are right now.

Douglas Luiz is one of our most valuable assets (Transfermarkt values him at £18m), but he's 21 years old. Whereas Sean Dyche has Ashley Westwood, who is priced on Transfermarkt at £6m, but right now you'd take Westwood over Luiz in the relegation scrap, purely because he's more experienced.

So everyone saying Dean Smith has this amazingly valuable squad to work with, it's really only Heaton, Mings, Jota and Hourihane who are at "peak" age. Everyone else is priced according to their future potential.

They're not necessarily valued according to their future potentials or at least primarily based off it, I check around transfermarkt a lot. Douglas is valued that much because that's around how much we paid for him. If you checked before we bought him, they valued him at 2.5m. 

Secondly, we're not the only squad who have a lot of youngsters, in fact we're not even near the top. The Sun lists us as being in the middle of the pack in terms of squad age in the PL. I know its the Sun and all, but its the closest thing I can find regarding average age of the squad. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

His persistence with Wesley is the only reason I want him to go. Just that one man. All he has to do is drop him. Just drop him. Simple as that. It’s really easy. Just don’t write his name down on the team sheet. 

The club failed him (I think) with a load of rubbish signings in the summer and made his job tough, no question, but to not drop the worst player in our entire squad, regardless of how he plays, is a sackable offence in itself. 

He could do with looking at our formation depending on the opposition or the venue as well.

I have calmed down a bit from the Watford defeat - which was just, disgusting, plain and simple. 

Sacking people isn't the answer. We have done that many times over the past decade and it has got us nowhere. Apart from being relegated. 

Whats the issue currently - well, it has to be down to the starting eleven. A couple of the players just simply are not good enough. (and that is down to the recruitment team). 

This is why I think we have tried to moneyball some positions - there has to be a reason why we play Wesley - what does he do that is eventually going to click? For those that have seen the film, the key was to sign people who 'get on base' right, so what is Wesley's role? 

It's the same for Nakamba, and Luiz - what are they offering that means they get to start? I thought they were essentially going to be the same player, so seeing them start together is somewhat surprising. I had them both down as Defensive Mids. 

We seriously need to find some consistency, because changing the starting eleven every week just isn't working - injuries aside. We have one injured defender, so have ended up changing both CBs. (ok, Engels might have a virus or whatever, but there was still a point where he was available and not chosen to start). McGinn got an injury, so we have changed the whole midfield. It should just be a case of one goes out, slot someone else in.

God Knows whats going on with the wide players - completely lost track. 

Grrrrrrrr. So frustrating. Typical ******* Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone else noticed none of the players have posted Anything AT ALL on social media since yesterday?

wesley did on insta around midnight last night. the comments were even more brutal than i was expecting.

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I'm just saying. You said maybe you should have defended Bruce more. That wasn't possible. It's all well and good looking at where Bruce is now with someone else's team, but the fact of the matter is that he had over 18 months to build a team at Villa and he had us in the bottom half after a favourable run of fixtures last season.

We could say that Mourinho would do better than Smith right now, but it's pointless talking about a manager that we'd have no chance of getting. In the same way that there's no point in discussing how much better off we'd be if we now had Bruce, when I'm 99.99% sure that we wouldn't have got to the Prem if Bruce had stayed in charge.

Smith is here, let's keep the topic on him. Or talk about potential replacements. But let's keep the King Bruce chat for the Bruce thread :lol:

That fiirst line was joke, but i was answering folk criticising me for defending him.

i have never unconditionally defended him, but some folk don't appreciate that.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

You’ll feel better right up to the point that you realise the guy you have replaced him with is even worse!

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

wesley did on insta around midnight last night. the comments were even more brutal than i was expecting.

That's why he's struggling then to many late nights, get yer fat head down Wes and a straight 8!

5 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I feel that as long as we keep playing a striker who's heat spot shows he spends very little time in the box, our best play making midfielder on the wing. and CBs playing too far up the pitch. Then IMO hard work is not enough. the tactics need to change. Dean has made player changes, but stuck to same tactics. Some of the team look Knackered when the 90 minutes is up, because they are running around like headless chickens with no plan (like a ship without a rudder or navigator) Please Dean just look at what other teams around you are doing and if you cant see it. Then its time to let some one else

Rob i don't advocate its hard work alone, but its an essential ingredient.

I think we have made many changes to no avail.....its not just one thing, i grant you that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think these guys need to just turn off comments on their posts.

Football fans are a bunch of mindless clearings in the woods.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why do you think we needed to buy a whole new team in the summer?

Because your favourite manager, after being given extensive resources, had built nothing long term for us. A load of loans and aging players. 

But sure, you question whether you defended him enough. Wow

Where's your sense of humour? I was being sarcastic in saying i maybe did'nt defend him enough.

because the loans that was intrumental in getting us up, went back to their parent clubs.

We just missed the goalkeeper because the club was in **** street, hardly Bruces fault.

extensive resources, dream on. Dean has had far more resource with owners Bruce could only dream of.

The final season was pants no doubt.....but don't try to manipulate my stance...i said he had to go, when he did.

Ps He is far from my favourite manager....but i would defend anyone against biased vitriol.....I would do the same for Dean if he has to go.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Secondly, we're not the only squad who have a lot of youngsters, in fact we're not even near the top. The Sun lists us as being in the middle of the pack in terms of squad age in the PL. I know its the Sun and all, but its the closest thing I can find regarding average age of the squad. 

Not disagreeing with you because I haven’t done the comparison but I’m shocked by this! Heaton at 31 (?), Mings at 26, and isn’t every other member of our first team under 24? Must be some young squads around I guess!

As a slight separate point I think the question is also about experience not just age. We lack a lot of PL know how. Of our outfield players I guess Grealish has played the most PL games by a distance. A lot of them are only 10-20 games into their PL career. That’s fine for one or two but you can run into some problems when it’s everyone - that’s a big part of why we have failed to see out so many games we were winning late on.

44 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

My reason for wanting DS to go now is this.

The whole reason of any football match in any division, in any country in the world is simply to move the ball forward,to get it to your striker and then to score more goals than the opposition.

That's simply not true though, is it?

Plenty of teams play with strikers who are there to feed other players. Plenty of teams rely on wingers, number 10s and even centre-mids to be a regular goal threat.

44 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What are out tactics ...... 4 3 3 in every game, irrespective of whether we are at home or away.Irrespective of whether the opposition attack down the wings or through the middle.Irrespective of what formation the opposition are using.

Didn't we play 4-2-3-1 with Jack 'in the hole' against Norwich?

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of people keep mentioning the spend over the summer, but a lot of our players are priced because of their potential, not because of where they are right now.

Douglas Luiz is one of our most valuable assets (Transfermarkt values him at £18m), but he's 21 years old. Whereas Sean Dyche has Ashley Westwood, who is priced on Transfermarkt at £6m, but right now you'd take Westwood over Luiz in the relegation scrap, purely because he's more experienced.

So everyone saying Dean Smith has this amazingly valuable squad to work with, it's really only Heaton, Mings, Jota and Hourihane who are at "peak" age. Everyone else is priced according to their future potential.

Fair comment.....so we should have brought in some experience.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think these guys need to just turn off comments on their posts.

Football fans are a bunch of mindless clearings in the woods.

their accounts are basically run by the clubs media. they would be encouraged to keep comments on. how else are the club supposed to know how fans feel? yes you get some ridiculous ones but if JT posts something for example, and among the stupid comments there are 200 saying "tell dean to drop wesley/change formation" you know the general mood

• Like 1

Â