Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We keep throwing points away and it's not good enough. Smith is Bruce-esque during matches. I like his changes to the side, they were the right ones, but he needs to be more proactive with his bench.

I must say, I prefer Dean Smiths style, but in terms of one getting the defence sort of right and the other getting the offence sort of right ( we are scoring goals despite Wes).......we have still not got the pair right together.

I hope he has solutions up his sleeve.

2 hours ago, kiltorken said:

Frustrating start to the season but judging by the comments I think I'm in the minority when I'm actually optimistic about the season based on what I've seen. We've gone toe to toe with everyone so far and were a couple of poor decisions away from being mid table. Yes, obviously closing out games appears to be an issue but I'm fairly confident that will change for the better. We haven't been outclassed by anyone so far. 

and you are right to think and say that.....I have made my concerns clear......but only one game have we played below par, but the same issue is denying us points.

I have not seen a game yet, where we were just unable to win or out of it quality wise.

Interesting reading on here regarding about DS and points lost from winning positions......

We had similar discussions when he was our manger:

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127745&highlight=Points lost winning positions

(Not sure, but you might need to create an account to view posts......)

Also had discussions about inability to win against teams reduced to 10 men......

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Badgerbee said:

Also had discussions about inability to win against teams reduced to 10 men......

It's tactical limitations mate. Nothing else.

Starting to think he won't cut it at this level. It's all a bit Bruce esque in his in game management.

Edited by villalad21

I'm not Smith out, but if i had the offer between Benitez and Smith right now i'd take Benitez any day of the week.

We need a miracle worker with a little bit of a magic touch and it doesn't exist many of those.

If we are bottom three by Christmas and we can't get Benitez i would still be Smith in though. Don't see that many good replacements in the marked right now.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Starting to think he won't cut it at this level. It's all a bit Bruce esque in his in game management.

I remember you thinking he wasn’t good enough to get us promoted last year too. I hope you have a similar effect this season 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I remember you thinking he wasn’t good enough to get us promoted last year too. I hope you have a similar effect this season 😎

I like how you think getting promoted with Aston Villa is an achievement.

We were among the highest spenders in the league for 3 seasons. The fact that it took that long is beyond a joke. He finished 5th by the way.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

We went through a number of periods where DS would most likely have been sacked at a lot of other clubs (a bit like when he first joined you), but thankfully our set-up doesn't work like that. A great bloke, but definitely  prone to being a bit 'streaky' in terms of results. Whether he's got enough to get you where you "need" to be (note, need, not "deserve" 😉) is debatble....Hope so for DS's sake.

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I like how you think getting promoted with Aston Villa is an achievement.

We were among the highest spenders in the league for 3 seasons. The fact that it took that long is beyond a joke. He finished 5th by the way.

I didn’t notice Brucie 4 times making much of a fist of it after 2 years. However 8 months and one transfer window and Deano managed it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not Smith out, but if i had the offer between Benitez and Smith right now i'd take Benitez any day of the week.

We need a miracle worker with a little bit of a magic touch and it doesn't exist many of those.

If we are bottom three by Christmas and we can't get Benitez i would still be Smith in though. Don't see that many good replacements in the marked right now.

So, by your own reckoning then, if Villa stay up this season Dean Smith is a miracle worker? 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Watching Newcastle now, and even Burnley yesterday...I'm so glad we've got Smith as manager.

Who wants to watch that nonsense every week? 

If it can win the title, I'd be up for it. But you know it can't.

Burnley honestly, they're just a really good non-league team. Go and watch top of the table in your local league and they'll be doing that. Clatter it long and "make the most" of second/third balls. What does the future hold for them? Mid-lower table PL for anywhere between 2 and 20 years followed by eventual relegation? I'm alright thanks, I'd rather see my team try and pass the ball and actually enjoy what I'm watching.

I would think again.

There lies a danger in that remark.....If you think you can come in to this league and play eye catching football and out score teams......you have to have a bunch not one or two of very special players.....if not you have to miserly in not giving away the ball.

All the teams in recent years who have gone up with talent have had to embrace a bit of physicality too......its simply not an and or either......you have to be able to do both.

I see what some Brentford fans have said and its not encouraging, its just their opinion of course.....but I say If Dean ignores the qualities required to see out a game, he will have a hard time.

Edited by TRO

Dean Smith clearly has some work to do......I don't ignore the cries of Brentford Supporters saying they have seen it before, but he has to have time to adapt to this league.

I like what Dean is trying to do and its not a criticism, but an observation......He needs to add steel to our team....I think he has done, but we need more.

We have some great moments of super goals, not always from the players you expect them from, but its a team game......The business of conceding so easily after scoring or not see a game out, smacks of yielding to the opposition.....He has to stop that in any way he can

We have to show a an ability to dominate possession for even a bit longer period than we do, until we mature in this league or get better quality players in.

all what we do is in increments.....we cannot just switch a switch on and its all rosey.....but we can try and do better.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

I can't believe people are getting on Smith's back already. You've forgotten where we were when he came in, and the massive overhaul that we've just had over the summer. I'd keep him even if we went down, he's a very good manager doing a very good job - even now. 

Football is a harsh game.

Ranieri won the league with Leicester and got sacked the season after. What he did last season frankly doesn't matter.

All that matters is staying up. I don't care how. I don't care if it's with Smith or without Smith.

Â