Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

On paper we should have had 6 points on the board by now. a weakened spurs team who have had behind the scenes issues all summer. and bournmouth a team of average champ/prem players who just are well drilled into a system that they all know their role. Their number 24 fraser is one of the worst players I've ever seen. Just keeps himself fit and works hard. ffs they were time wasting after 20mins.

Everton is must win for Smith.

john c. mcginley laughing GIF

• Haha 2

It’s fair to say we were unlucky with their goals. They got a penalty straight away, and then they had a right bit of luck with that second goal. Anything we hit just missed or was saved by their keeper. I’ve got no issues with Smith at all. Infact we are playing better than I thought we would be. I’m enjoying watching us that’s for sure. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I love him for what he's done so far and relegation or stay up, for me, he stays. However, that does and should not make him beyond reproach. 

Today, I think he waited too long to make that first sub. Then, I think he should have left Trezeguet on and swapped Davis for Wesley. 

I think that, further into the season, Deano is going to have a major headache. I don't think that Douglas is a defensive midfielder but, and here's the problem, I think he could well be better suited to where Grealish or McGinn play. Deano may well find himself playing Nakamba at DM then having the headache of having to fit Douglas into the midfield further up the pitch. For me, I don't care about the name or the past. If Douglas looks better than either of Grealish or McGinn he replaces them in the starting lineup. This will show what kind of manager Deano is. 

they could all go in....if we play with one winger......4-2-3-1

what is the point of playing with 2 when they are largely ineffective, particularly El Ghazi today.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I said it a couple of weeks ago and it's coming true.

There's a very good chance we'll be quite shit for a few weeks. 

Everyone is stepping up to a higher level and we're bedding in new players. It will take time.

I've seen enough in the two games to think we don't have anything to worry about long term. I just hope the fans don't get on the team and the management's back while we get up to speed.

Everton next which could very easily be another loss.

I completely agree but, personally, I don’t think we’ve been shit at all so far. Far from it in fact. 

Your post rings true. There’s a long way to go and we will improve. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I completely agree but, personally, I don’t think we’ve been shit at all so far. Far from it in fact. 

Your post rings true. There’s a long way to go and we will improve. 

No we haven't, I agree with that. I think I meant in terms of results and maybe some inconsistency. We were certainly shit today early on but then recovered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I said it a couple of weeks ago and it's coming true.

There's a very good chance we'll be quite shit for a few weeks. 

Everyone is stepping up to a higher level and we're bedding in new players. It will take time.

I've seen enough in the two games to think we don't have anything to worry about long term. I just hope the fans don't get on the team and the management's back while we get up to speed.

Everton next which could very easily be another loss.

Voice of reason 👍

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

they could all go in....if we play with one winger......4-2-3-1

what is the point of playing with 2 when they are largely ineffective, particularly El Ghazi today.

I’ve only read two or three posts ( i have an idea I won’t think much of many !)...

... but 20 minutes in I was saying this and it’s the first and only time I’ve been a bit perplexed by selection....

.... we could shore up midfield playing  CH ( or Marvelous when fit), free up Jack and McGinn, Get 45 minutes out of El Ghazi then replace with Trezuget ( or vice versa), and lose 

.. nothing.

Very hard to get full contributions out of 2 wide men at the same time.

I remain very pleased and impressed.

Good first half last week. Good second half this week against a very decent side.

We are clearly ( like most promoted sides) not up to the speed of thought needed for the PL...not so much going forward but in transition.) ... but that doesn’t concern me.

I said prior to the game those expecting (or only being happy with) a Win are likely to spend much of the season unhappy.

Whereas if you go on performance, you see a side recover well from a poor start and go on to create a lot of good play.

Ive no doubt we will get the results we need, but those 10/12 Wins needed will be rare for a while.

• Like 3

you don't have to be that be that shit in this league though. We went head to head with spurs for 70 mins - on 85 mins we still had point  - 2 mistakes in the first 15 today and the other 75 didn't matter. Its very fine margins in this league.

we need to cut the errors and put our chances away (easy this management lark ain't it)

I think we will improve - Smith will hit on the right formula.

We just need to be patient and back the manager and players it will happen. I said from day one it will take 6-8 games to bed the squad in, and there's been enough shown that we aren't that far away. We probably dropped three points today from a poor start, not through Bournemouth's great play, but silly errors. Ita frustrating but patience is needed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I remain very pleased and impressed.

Good first half last week. Good second half this week against a very decent side.

We are clearly ( like most promoted sides) not up to the speed of thought needed for the PL...not so much going forward but in transition.) ... but that doesn’t concern me.

I said prior to the game those expecting (or only being happy with) a Win are likely to spend much of the season unhappy.

Whereas if you go on performance, you see a side recover well from a poor start and go on to create a lot of good play.

Ive no doubt we will get the results we need, but those 10/12 Wins needed will be rare for a while.

Personally, I will wait and keep my powder dry.....I can't be happy with a defeat, no matter how intelligent it is and how much patience is the virtue....you are a much stronger man than me.....I want to win.my weakness is losing.

I have seen things in the performance I am not happy with and much as I have seen things that I am happy with....but the Result No....not happy.

I will wait with baited breath for the improvement we are all sure is coming and rejoice then when it arrives......In the meantime, I will just support, cheer the lads on and Observe.

I understand folk making claims of why we are losing, but I will wait and see.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Personally, I will wait and keep my powder dry.....I can't be happy with a defeat, no matter how intelligent it is and how much patience is the virtue....you are a much stronger man than me.....I want to win.my weakness is losing.

I have seen things in the performance I am not happy with and much as I have seen things that I am happy with....but the Result No....not happy.

I will wait with baited breath for the improvement we are all sure is coming and rejoice then when it arrives......In the meantime, I will just support, cheer the lads on and Observe.

I understand folk making claims of why we are losing, but I will wait and see.

You are in for a long season then. ..🙂.....We will lose 15 - 20 odd games for sure.

We aren’t going to be able to run this Season, we just need to walk.  I see plenty evidence we will do that well enough, it’s a Season to take all the positives we can, which, in the main, if not entirely, will be bits of games.

Anyone who didn’t enjoy a chunk of our football Second Half..well...

There was improvement there for all to see today, whether they saw it or not, or whether it was for long enough, or to the standard the6 wanted......well iv3ca horrible feeling that’s going to be our curse this season.

Spurs....Top, Top side.

Bournemouth...very very good side with the benefit of years of a decent coach. 

Villa.....coached well for lesss than 40 games in, what, 5, 10 years ?

I will continue to  make the most of the good and accept the not good, and the poor.

And will remain confident we are good enough for 10 or so Wins.

I doubt next week will be one.

• Like 1

He needs to either go attacking as in drop taylor and Elmo or play safe. Unfortunately the way the team is set up with our fullbacks being Taylor and Elmo, we are set up to try and not concede. 

If we had a 15 to 20 goal striker then that may work.

We dont and are hoping midfield help out to score us enough each game. 

Neither have played badly however we are just so slow its painful.

• Like 1

I well recall when Smith started with us, quite a few saying they could see no change, that they’d wait and see, that we needed to Win more.

I also recall saying right from Game 1 that there was enough there for anyone who wanted to look for it. Right from the first game, where suddenly passing emerged and long balls diminished.

Then, as results didn’t materialise, those all important results, he actually came under pressure for his job.

On the other hand I’ve seen Manager after Manager “ get results” with really really dire football.......and it always, always, ends up being hope built on sand.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

You are in for a long season then. ..🙂.....We will lose 15 - 20 odd games for sure.

We aren’t going to be able to run this Season, we just need to walk.  I see plenty evidence we will do that well enough, it’s a Season to take all the positives we can, which, in the main, if not entirely, will be bits of games.

There was improvement there for all to see today, whether they saw it or not, or whether it was for long enough, or to the standard the6 wanted......well iv3ca horrible feeling that’s going to be our curse this season.

Spurs....Top, Top side.

I will continue to  make the most of the good and accept the not good, and the poor.

when we start pressing teams and discourage the early mistakes that was feature of our play, that will please me for starters.....If we continue to stand off players, these mistakes will continue Terry......we must compete and that means physically not just a bit of running to please the stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Spurs....Top, Top side.

judging by what I have just seen on MOTD it might be more than that.

Unless of course a significant improvement is found.

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

On paper we should have had 6 points on the board by now. a weakened spurs team who have had behind the scenes issues all summer. and bournmouth a team of average champ/prem players who just are well drilled into a system that they all know their role. Their number 24 fraser is one of the worst players I've ever seen. Just keeps himself fit and works hard. ffs they were time wasting after 20mins.

Everton is must win for Smith.

get out GIF

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

when we start pressing teams and discourage the early mistakes that was feature of our play, that will please me for starters.....If we continue to stand off players, these mistakes will continue Terry......we must compete and that means physically not just a bit of running to please the stats.

I guarantee 100 % we will continue to make mistakes. Who doesn’t ?

Â