Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, supermon said:

i thought it was a penalty, was livid when nothing came of this, was VAR even checked? 

I believe so. He was checked after he lost control of the ball and was going away from it. I'm ok with it not being a penalty 

• Thanks 1

Starting to think there should be a VAR thread, it's certainly causing enough of a stir because it seems to contradicting, flawed and damn right daft at times.

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Starting to think there should be a VAR thread, it's certainly causing enough of a stir because it seems to contradicting, flawed and damn right daft at times.

The decisions depend on what club will benefit from a decision.

14 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I spoke to someone this week, that had to have a non villa interaction with Dean. I don't want to go into detail with what it was, but this gentleman told me he came away thoroughly impressed at how humble, kind, and genuine he was. 

That is all well and good but he still should have started McGinn over Whelan in the Derby last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Was there a video?

14 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

Mentioned it in the press conference, couldn't see anything on the OS or youtube

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah vid is on Villas youtube site.

weird cus i cant find it now.......but i watched it yesterday......taken down??

2 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Check John Terry’s instagram or villa report on twitter. 

i watched it yesterday, it was called "Aston villa prepare for Bournemouth", it was a training video, about 7 or 8 mins long.

I went in to my viewed history, found it, and now it says "video unavailable".

Maybe it has some top sekret moves they didnt want Bournemouth to watch? :P

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, villadodo said:

1) Tactics and coaching

Sometimes I think people exaggerate the importance of tactics and coaching like they are a magic bullet that can win games on their own.

To start, I like your post but I'm out of my daily quota.

Coaching and tactics absolutely can, and they do, win games. Not on their own, they require personnel to manifest them for the duration of preparation and game day.

As for being magic, I don't think that's an apt way to describe them. There's no mystery or supernatural when it come to the practicalities involved in coaching or tactics.

Both involve specific and clear direction and guidelines in order to obtain a desired outcome. They require detailed understanding and knowledge of what's at stake.

Not really magic, unless you mean it in a very loose and general sense like it being pretty amazing that we're all here in the first place. Now that has some mystery to it.

But coaching and tactics specifically, nah. But they without doubt will win you games. Superstar team over a team of superstars every time for me.

As for the rest of your post, very nice, I like...

I have been known to get on a soapbox about merit (more from a societal leadership angle) so I agree with your observations there.

But my favourite part is the personality part.

He is amiable, which is so important in life, as well as sport, in any relationship dynamic that you can muster it, everyone involved will benefit from it.

Remember good sportsmanship? It's the same as showing good character. Which Smith does. He comes across as honest and hardworking, an avid learner within the game.

The latter being what has enabled him to come in and gain promotion where others couldn't. And why I believe he will kick on to greater success, I'm wishful that it's with us.

• Like 3

Â