Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I guarantee 100 % we will continue to make mistakes. Who doesn’t ?

When we do the things like I said, mistakes will reduce.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

When we do the things like I said, mistakes will reduce.

I’m not sure I can really make head or tail of what you are saying....

” when we start pressing teams “...... we did lots of pressing today ?

” discourage early mistakes “.... I’m 100% sure the making of mistakes is discouraged..... by us and every team....what does that actually mean ?

” Mistakes will continue “... of course they will ?

Whilst, as ever, your posts read reasonably, they appear to me to be just a sort of polite version of the ones where people are rushing to premature criticism , discounting we are just promoted, discounting we are a new team, discounting the strength of the PL.

How many points were you expecting from the 2 games we’ve played so far ?

22 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m not sure I can really make head or tail of what you are saying....

” when we start pressing teams “...... we did lots of pressing today ?

” discourage early mistakes “.... I’m 100% sure the making of mistakes is discouraged..... by us and every team....what does that actually mean ?

” Mistakes will continue “... of course they will ?

Whilst, as ever, your posts read reasonably, they appear to me to be just a sort of polite version of the ones where people are rushing to premature criticism , discounting we are just promoted, discounting we are a new team, discounting the strength of the PL.

How many points were you expecting from the 2 games we’ve played so far ?

• really.
  • No we didn't....We don't press anywhere near sufficiently or regularly enough....and in contrast WE get closed down too easily.
  • By doing the disciplines that give you a chance of surviving in this league......Did you watch Norwich, you might get an insight of whats required....that's what passing and moving is and playing between the lines....is Pukki finding his feet, settling in to the new league?
  • Observation Terry, Observation....not criticism.....are we not allowed to observe shortfalls when we lose, at what point is the honeymoon over?
  • I think to be where we are after 10 months is marvellous.....but what has that got to do with errors and shortfalls in today's game.....and you are wrong, we don't press teams and its a fault of ours....john McGinn is the only one, it needs to be groups who press.

Terry, I understand that things take time with so many new players, but equally we said all this with the french boys......We have to do the things that win football matches. Its no good just blindly saying it will come, it might, but equally it might not......I am not all doom and gloom, but I am not as confident as you it will all be ok......I seen enough things today to give me the eebie jeebies.

Edited by TRO

My own fault..I kept telling myself this is not going to be the season to read VT after games.

I guess there are just very different mindsets. I’m not saying any are any better or more correct than others,.

But...Fifteen games ago we were 13 th in the Championship.

• Like 2

We deserved something from that game. Two bad errors, and and a very lucky deflection in off the post meant we were 2-0 down from the off. There was frustration but determination. We dominated much of the match. So many half chances. Billing had had 3 or 4 yellows in the first half alone. That Wes thing was a pen another day, VAR certainly wouldn't have stepped in to overrule.

It'll be interesting to see the difference new full backs make, going forward and holding possession it'll be noticeable I think, huge upgrade. I'm totally against Smith in this decision. Taylor and Elmo out thanks. Spending over £10m on a left back that isn't better than Taylor at everything is not good, I'm not sure what's going on. Taylor isn't a "defensive full back", he's a crap full back. This defensive stuff has appeared from nowhere as people try to understand what the hell we're doing. He wasn't a defensive full back when Championship wingers danced round him for three years. Sick of seeing Elmo get it and float the ball down the line to no one, or crossing it to no one, he had a great run at the end of the season last year and that's been it for him. A good run of matches where we were demolishing opponents where he could cross it onto Tammy's head and didn't have any other responsibilities.

I agree with what I read elsewhere, the better players should be gelling now. If we've signed full backs worse than Elmo and Taylor, we are going to get relegated.

Just a note that we also have Mings, Engels, Hause, Konsa, Chester(?), we can do three CBs and attacking wing backs if we're worried about the new lads defensively. Not one to rush to yet, but I hope it's in the back of Dean's mind. The run last year watching us name the same team and shape every match, playing trash, and not winning was very glum. 

Positives:

• The team are with him. Huge effort today.
  • We deserved at least a point, the performance was not bad, and yet loads of room for improvement.

Negatives:

• Need more danger in our moves. There was too much crossing with no one in the box. So easy to defend against. 
  • If Wes doesn't lift it, I'm not sure how much better we can play than today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • No we didn't....We don't press anywhere near sufficiently or regularly enough

Did you see the game today? We pressed an insane amount first half once we'd decided to start after being 2-0 down.

We need to learn to "rest on the ball".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

My own fault..I kept telling myself this is not going to be the season to read VT after games.

I guess there are just very different mindsets. I’m not saying any are any better or more correct than others,.

But...Fifteen games ago we were 13 th in the Championship.

and I agree....we have come a long way.

The things folk are talking about is the game and last weeks game, we will talk about the Everton game......and if we win 3-0 and do all the things like put in quality crosses and meet those crosses etc,etc.....If  we move to cause the opposition headaches and result in scoring, don't be surprised to see a different reaction.

I would like to bet Man City fans have a few things to say about their performance today, we would think it was great, its all relative.

Yes our outlook is different......I find it difficult to refer to a generalism, like we have come a long way......when I see a game that I SEE so many flaws....had those same flaws not been there, i think we would have won.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • really.
  • No we didn't....We don't press anywhere near sufficiently or regularly enough.
  • By doing the disciplines that give you a chance of surviving in this league......Did you watch Norwich, you might get an insight of whats required....that's what passing and moving is and playing between the lines....is Pukki finding his feet, settling in to the new league?
  • Observation Terry, Observation....not criticism.....are we not allowed to observe shortfalls when we lose, at what point is the honeymoon over?
  • I think to be where we are after 10 months is marvellous.....but what has that got to do with errors and shortfalls in today's game.....and you are wrong, we don't press teams and its a fault of ours....john McGinn is the only one, it needs to be groups who press.

Terry, I understand that things take time with so many new players, but equally we said all this with the french boys......We have to do the things that win football matches. Its no good just blindly saying it will come, it might, but equally it might not......I am not all doom and gloom, but I am not as confident as you it will all be ok......I seen enough things today to give me the eebie jeebies.

Old chestnut used already ? You are “ allowed” to say what you like.

I could just as easily say am I not allowed to hope people would keep criticism quite for a bit ?

At what point is  honeymoon over ? That’s rich, with Bruce I think you gave it a couple of years.... could we agree on at least a month ?

“ and you are wrong “ ? ....so it’s not even opinions now ? You are saying as a fact we don’t press ? So every time I shouted “:great pressing Villa” today I was “ wrong “ ?

Another strident comment ... who IS “  just blindly saying it will come” ? Not me,,,I’m saying there is already plenty good happening.

And “ we need to do things to Win “ ....well, Er, yes. But you DO accept we need to Win about 10 times, that we don’t need to Win Away at Spurs, and we have barely started ?

Norwich ? 

They finished nearly 20 Points above us, and didn’t have to get rescued from starting the season like a train wreck last year ......perspective needed.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did you see the game today? We pressed an insane amount first half once we'd decided to start after being 2-0 down.

We need to learn to "rest on the ball".

Oh! so we press after we are 2-0 down......I disagree anyway, I don't think we press anywhere near enough we stand off more than we press.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

and I agree....we have come a long way.

The things folk are talking about is the game and last weeks game, we will talk about the Everton game......and if we win 3-0 and do all the things like put in quality crosses and meet those crosses etc,etc.....If  we move to cause the opposition headaches and result in scoring, don't be surprised to see a different reaction.

I would like to bet Man City fans have a few things to say about their performance today, we would think it was great, its all relative.

Yes our outlook is different......I find it difficult to refer to a generalism, like we have come a long way......when I see a game that I SEE so many flaws....had those same flaws not been there, i think we would have won.

From a purely personal point of view, if people criticise this week, then praise next week because we get everything right, well, the easiest thing in the world is to praise when all is well. I won’t say what I’d think any more strongly than that.

You don’t think we caused Bournemouth headaches - I think we frightened them most the second half, I think Spurs fans thought they were going to get beat last week.

To me, you summed up,your view the other day, it’s all about the result. You are, in effect, saying if we Win, great, if we don’t, criticise, 

You dress it up nicer than that, but that’s all it is.

I can't relate to it.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Old chestnut used already ? You are “ allowed” to say what you like.

I could just as easily say am I not allowed to hope people would keep criticism quite for a bit ?

At what point is  honeymoon over ? That’s rich, with Bruce I think you gave it a couple of years.... could we agree on at least a month ?

“ and you are wrong “ ? ....so it’s not even opinions now ? You are saying as a fact we don’t press ? So every time I shouted “:great pressing Villa” today I was “ wrong “ ?

Another strident comment ... who IS “  just blindly saying it will come” ? Not me,,,I’m saying there is already plenty good happening.

And “ we need to do things to Win “ ....well, Er, yes. But you DO accept we need to Win about 10 times, that we don’t need to Win Away at Spurs, and we have barely started ?

Norwich ? 

They finished nearly 20 Points above us, and didn’t have to get rescued from starting the season like a train wreck last year ......perspective needed.

Terry,Terry.....watch them play, that's what I'm waiting for from my Villa team.....play like individuals at times they play as a team and work the ball as a team......We did a lovely move against Spurs too in similar fashion, so it can be done.....not today mate.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:
  •  

Well, there we are. 

3/6.

In my humble opinion, that’s a very optimistic expectation at this stage, especially given our first fixture. 

Nothing wrong with that, but it will of course mean you are more likely to be disappointed.

I hoped, for 1/6...but didn’t even “ expect”,that.

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

From a purely personal point of view, if people criticise this week, then praise next week because we get everything right, well, the easiest thing in the world is to praise when all is well. I won’t say what I’d think any more strongly than that.

You don’t think we caused Bournemouth headaches - I think we frightened them most the second half, I think Spurs fans thought they were going to get beat last week.

To me, you summed up,your view the other day, it’s all about the result. You are, in effect, saying if we Win, great, if we don’t, criticise, 

You dress it up nicer than that, but that’s all it is.

I can't relate to it.

Not really no......After Spurs equalised I said to the mrs We have lost this......we were out pointed Terry in the second half in boxing terms.

but I see the reasons for losing in the game or the reasons for not negating the 2 errors and coming back with 2 more goals.....i can't just dismiss that as ok, when its not....i can't relate to that.

If Liverpool get spanked next week, do you think the scousers will say its ok, we have just won the European cup......they will debate the reasons why.....that all we are doing.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry,Terry.....watch them play, that's what I'm waiting for from my Villa team.....play like individuals at times they play as a team and work the ball as a team......We did a lovely move against Spurs too in similar fashion, so it can be done.....not today mate.

In your opinion.

I did watch.

I attended both games.

I thought we  were very good first half v Spurs.

I thought we were very good Second Half today.

I have lower expectations than you, and am more easily pleased.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, screwdriver said:

On paper we should have had 6 points on the board by now. 

On paper we (as last season  5th best championship team, which has had a complete  overall in one summer), should beat one of the top three sides in European/world football....  what paper is this?  Where can I get the same paper where I get their favourable odds?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Well, there we are. 

3/6.

In my humble opinion, that’s a very optimistic expectation at this stage, especially given our first fixture. 

Nothing wrong with that, but it will of course mean you are more likely to be disappointed.

I hoped, for 1/6...but didn’t even “ expect”,that.

so you didn't think we would beat Bournemouth?.....with our full stadium and the new league bounce....I'll bet they was not relishing coming to us, they even said they had to nullify us, such was their game plan.....but a bit of early tenacity and muscle and our gifts, set them on their way.....we had ample time to reverse it.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh! so we press after we are 2-0 down......I disagree anyway, I don't think we press anywhere near enough we stand off more than we press.

I was wrong, it wasn't at 2-0, it was at 1-0. We pressed ferociously after our keeper had given away a penalty after 90 seconds, we were all over them. The first 90 seconds nothing had happened.

Did you see the game? Honestly, I'm just wondering. We worked so hard that first half trying to right wrongs, can't believe anyone would say we weren't pressing. Think we paid for it at the end to be honest, lacked a bit of bounce last 10 mins.

• Like 2

Â