Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Impossible to blame him after today.

Everton up next. Very tough game. Another loss and i can see us going in a downward spiral which is hard to get out of.

Sadly true. Losing becomes a demoralising, self fulfilling habit. 

Fair enough Taylor had a good game against Spurs and it might have been harsh to drop him but I disagree with Smith's choice to start him today. Just not good enough for me. We're the home side and we want to be on the front foot, Taylor's attacking game is just too poor. 

Guilbert situation seems a little strange also considering he had a pretty strong pre season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Fair enough Taylor had a good game against Spurs and it might have been harsh to drop him but I disagree with Smith's choice to start him today. Just not good enough for me. We're the home side and we want to be on the front foot, Taylor's attacking game is just too poor. 

Guilbert situation seems a little strange also considering he had a pretty strong pre season. 

Have to agree. Smith has been good in his decisions so far but today was puzzling. We are at home Targett and Guilbert offer more going forward. If we were looking at keeping it tight etc that went out the window very quickly. I would’ve played them today but got a feeling he will play them against Everton.. who knows.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Heaton and Luiz costed us the game today.

Elmo and Taylor had nothing to do with the defeat. Ridiculous.

• Like 2

I love him for what he's done so far and relegation or stay up, for me, he stays. However, that does and should not make him beyond reproach. 

Today, I think he waited too long to make that first sub. Then, I think he should have left Trezeguet on and swapped Davis for Wesley. 

I think that, further into the season, Deano is going to have a major headache. I don't think that Douglas is a defensive midfielder but, and here's the problem, I think he could well be better suited to where Grealish or McGinn play. Deano may well find himself playing Nakamba at DM then having the headache of having to fit Douglas into the midfield further up the pitch. For me, I don't care about the name or the past. If Douglas looks better than either of Grealish or McGinn he replaces them in the starting lineup. This will show what kind of manager Deano is. 

• Like 1

Losing to Spurs away and Bournemouth at home, after getting promoted from the Championship and needing to sign 12 new players, is not something that I'm surprised or worried about.

Smith will get it right and still has Targett, Guibert, Konsa and Nakamba to bring in if he feels that they will make a difference. He is right to play Elmo and Taylor at the start as we have a new GK and a new CB in the first 11 as well.

To be honest, it wasn't how the team was set up that cost us today, it was the individual errors. Something we have been prone to do for what seems like forever. We may have got away with them in the championship but not the Premier League.

Despite that, our reaction was very good.  We took the game to and dominated Bournemouth. On another day we may well have got something.

I'm not worried as I think we will turn the corner and hopefully that will be what some see as a 'freak' result against Everton. 🤞🤞

I think we started with Taylor, and Elmohamday this season, because of not wanting to change too much too fast, if we'd have dropped those two, then Mings would have been the only player in the back five from last season. But we lost both games anyway, so might as well have just thrown in Targett, and Guilbert, which is what I'd do from this moment going forward, they're obviously the long-term plan for the full-back positions, so might as well go ahead as we mean to go on, and get them in the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Think we need a lot more going forward. I don’t think being ok defensively cuts it in anymore in this league. 

completely agree with this.

Taylor may be doing ok as a defensive FB, but breaking most Prem teams down these days requires at least some assistance from FB's who can do something going forward, Taylor cant do that....

If DS isnt utilising Targett & Guilbert because of continuity/familiarity, then sorry......familiarity means nothing when you are losing, better to let the better players (Targett and possibly Guilbert) have some time to gel and let them do their thing.

Just now, useless said:

I think we started with Taylor, and Elmohamday this season, because of not wanting to change too much too fast, if we'd have dropped those two, then Mings would have been the only player in the back five from last season. But we lost both games anyway, so might as well have just thrown in Targett, and Guilbert, which is what I'd do from this moment going forward, they're obviously the long-term plan for the full-back positions, so might as well go ahead as we mean to go on, and get them in the team.

exactly........

if we are losing anyway, just change it up and put the best players in, familiarity means zilch if you are losing anyway.

full backs these days need to assist with overloading/breaking down the opposition, Taylor cant do that.

Two very poor errors cost us, especially Heaton's which set us up for defeat a minute in, not sure what Smith could have done about that. Ultimately we were good in the second half and deserved a better result, first half was a shambles for 20 minutes before we picked it up after 30-35 mins.

It was concerning that they looked so much quicker, bigger and stronger than us early on but I was reassured when a number of players grew into the game and we then looked the better side for large periods of the match.

Overall I saw good enough signs to have a bit of optimism, we played some decent stuff, by right players like Luiz, Trezeguet, Wesley will only improve, as will the likes of Grealish and McGinn. Mings and Engels look a proper premier league centre half pairing and it's only a matter of time before Targett and Guilbert come in at fullback. I have total faith that we have enough to survive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Heaton and Luiz costed us the game today.

Elmo and Taylor had nothing to do with the defeat. Ridiculous.

No its not ridiculous. How do we know that Guilbert and Targett wouldn't have had a great game and contributed in the final third better than the two that started? 

Actually, you say Douglas was responsible for the second goal but, if Mings stood square on instead of turning he may have blocked the shot and the goal been avoided. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I love him for what he's done so far and relegation or stay up, for me, he stays. However, that does and should not make him beyond reproach. 

Today, I think he waited too long to make that first sub. Then, I think he should have left Trezeguet on and swapped Davis for Wesley. 

I think that, further into the season, Deano is going to have a major headache. I don't think that Douglas is a defensive midfielder but, and here's the problem, I think he could well be better suited to where Grealish or McGinn play. Deano may well find himself playing Nakamba at DM then having the headache of having to fit Douglas into the midfield further up the pitch. For me, I don't care about the name or the past. If Douglas looks better than either of Grealish or McGinn he replaces them in the starting lineup. This will show what kind of manager Deano is. 

Serious question is Douglass a DM ? ( Ie is that where he has played most of his games)

I thought he was - but he looked uncomfortable at the back - but better going forward.

I’d start Targett next week and, maybe, try Grealish out wide with Hourihane in the middle. I know Grealish isn’t a naturally wide player, but he could do the drifting thing he played previously.

Eleven corners today and nothing from them. Conor’s left foot could be more important to us than El Ghazi, who was poor today.

• Like 1

Â