Dean Smith

Demitri_C

After some thinking... 

Trez on the left, gilbert on the right 

We then in theory have our right side with 2 who can cross.

The left with trez and taylor or trez and target 

Not too much messing around but gives us more than what we have at the moment.

Leaves el ghazi as impact sub which we do not have as it stands.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

That’s beginning to sound a bit “ I want I want I want”.... that we get from some younger fans.

Now you are saying “ we’ve spent xyz” as if the reasons behind it are unknown to you. That money, as all Villa fans know, was to attempt to catch up to a starting level.....and to replace an entire team. Norwich were 20 points ahead, with no stupid contracts ending for aging players, I could go on all night. 

Fans of other Clubs point to a historical sense of entitlement amongst us lot...and that’s why. We finished miles behind Norwich yet some of our lot actually expect ....not hope, expect...that we will match or better them. 

No, we don’t lie down and die. But most fans don’t get their k inkers in a twist over analysing defeat by Man City, and very rarely actually criticise their club for such a defeat. But then maybe the have realistic expectations.

That was the theme in 1974 when Ron Saunders took over....His tenacity and determination, got us to where we are, not accepting second best and striving to WIN.......We had all the wet lettuces before him.Thats why we got to where we got with him.

I have no reason to believe we have any different in Dean....I too think he will get it right in this league....but lets not make a "pretty painting"  to satisfy our mood, lets say it how it is......Dean said last week we lost the ball too easily, I agree with him, that suggests to me much work to do to rectify it......I felt that some of our positional play was suspect yesterday, much work to do.

I want, Iwant, Iwant.....yes you are right Terry, not sure you have to be  a younger fan to qualify for that, or even what that implies?

That does not mean, I am not prepared to be patient......I have always supported Dean, just like I did the last Manager, so I am not even selective in supporting managers, I am consistent.......just simply saying,for my sins, I see things that need work on.

Edited by TRO

Don't forget were playing catch up to the Prem, there are only two other teams (the ones we went up with) who are in the same boat as us, the rest are well established and very drilled squads. Somehow we have to find a way to break these excellent teams down, which is why i am shocked at not bringing in anyone else because its clear it will take some fantastic service from our midfield and wingers, for Wesley to start scoring and so far it's not happening because of balls being sent it to high, to late, to short. Pass precision isn't there from our wingers, it needs to be better. We have no options up front, kodjia can't do the job we all knew that from the beginning, we needed someone who had known what it was like recently to score 20+ goals.

As it stands I have faith we will win enough games to stay up, but we need to learn quickly and stop the mistakes of yesterday's goals happening or we will suffer from our own undoing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

For me, if you have me in mind of course.....I expect to get the majority of our points at Home, that totals 19 minus 1= 18 left.....take out the top 6 that leaves 12......supposing that happens leaves us with 36 points.

Bournemouth was one of the weaker teams away from home last season......so yes I expected/hoped/fancied/suspected we would win.

Didn’t have you in mind ( true !) - ( the last thing any of us need is allowing the same debate to rumble on and on...we had a good go at it last  night that was enough for me )..........there’s a common theme through most threads of a minority thinking that way.

As for your Tally observations.... I think if we Win 12 games in total that would be great.  I’m more of a 8/9 at home and 2/4 Away. 

The bit in bold .....those words aren’t interchangeable.

Every one of us Hoped we would Win. Many will have fancied us Winning.

Its that “ expect “ bit I have a problem with.....but as I say we did that debate for now !

• Like 1

I feel bad wanting Taylor and Elmo out and Targett and Guilbert in. But we struggle getting enough people in the box and our delivieries just take too long, so we need wing backs that can contribute to get going, and that's not Elmo and Taylor. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Didn’t have you in mind ( true !) - ( the last thing any of us need is allowing the same debate to rumble on and on...we had a good go at it last  night that was enough for me )..........there’s a common theme through most threads of a minority thinking that way.

As for your Tally observations.... I think if we Win 12 games in total that would be great.  I’m more of a 8/9 at home and 2/4 Away. 

The bit in bold .....those words aren’t interchangeable.

Every one of us Hoped we would Win. Many will have fancied us Winning.

Its that “ expect “ bit I have a problem with.....but as I say we did that debate for now !

Listen.....I respect your opinion and for my part, I enjoyed the ding dong.

We all learn from debate and not always agreeing with each other.....Its not rare for me to see a stronger argument and accept it as opposed to my own, that's what healthy debate is.

No I am not going to continue this one either.....but I enjoyed it, Thanks Mate.

• Thanks 1

It was clear how genuinely gutted the players were when they walked off at full time. The fans clapped them off and rightly so. 

That seems important to me. Losing should be devastating, and I think it will spur us on for the game against Everton.The attitude of this group seems good, it's early days of course and if we lose against Everton you might expect a few heads to drop. 

I think Smith will have a long hard thing about a few things over the next week: 

*How do we cut out the mistakes. 

*Full back selection

* How to get more from El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Wesley. 

Ultimately, I think we were a bit unlucky. As much as the current thinking is "If you make a mistake you will get punished in the Premier League", the second goal was deflected, and Bournemouth barely worried us apart from their two goals. Their midfielder Billing could have been sent off too. We didn't get the rub of the green against Spurs, but we can't have too many complaints about that result. 

Everton game will be have a different dynamic, providing we don't go two nil down so early on. Bournemouth gave up playing after 10 minutes and wasted time and dived all over the place for the remaining 80. Honestly, I thought their performance was embarrassing, if I were a fan of Bournemouth I'd be delighted with the result but dissapointed in the manner of the victory.  Eddie Howe isn't quite the purist he is made out to be. 

We're very much a 'work in progress 'and we're learning a lot as we go on. But we need to learn quickly and hope we won't be punished every time we make a mistake. 

It's going to be a rocky season. We need to stay with the team and pack out VP each game and support this lot all the way. 

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It was clear how genuinely gutted the players were when they walked off at full time. The fans clapped them off and rightly so. 

That seems important to me. Losing should be devastating, and I think it will spur us on for the game against Everton.The attitude of this group seems good, it's early days of course and if we lose against Everton you might expect a few heads to drop. 

I think Smith will have a long hard thing about a few things over the next week: 

*Full back selection

Ultimately, I think we were a bit unlucky. As much as the current thinking is "If you make a mistake you will get punished in the Premier League", the second goal was deflected, and Bournemouth barely worried us apart from their two goals. Their midfielder Billing could have been sent off too. We didn't get the rub of the green against Spurs, but we can't have too many complaints about that result. 

Everton game will be have a different dynamic, providing we don't go two nil down so early on. Bournemouth gave up playing after 10 minutes and wasted time and dived all over the place for the remaining 80. Honestly, I thought their performance was embarrassing, if I were a fan of Bournemouth I'd be delighted with the result but dissapointed in the manner of the victory.  Eddie Howe isn't quite the purist he is made out to be. 

We're very much a 'work in progress 'and we're learning a lot as we go on. But we need to learn quickly and hope we won't be punished every time we make a mistake. 

It's going to be a rocky season. We need to stay with the team and pack out VP each game and support this lot all the way. 

Would also add that he needs to find a way of getting us to play at a PL tempo. This slow motion football won’t get us anywhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think we need to improve on pass and move scenarios more, especially becoming quicker in moving the ball on, sure it will come in time that.

I think it was a good effort yesterday, it's a shame we had two goals come past us in a very bad way early on.

One thing I hate is all this blaming one player attitude some fans seem to be going with, it's very poor and no single person gets the blame for yesterday, it's a group effort.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but making scapegoats of certain players is wrong.

One thing for sure with Deano, he will keep his head when all around are losing theirs. 

• Like 2

Game 1: Deservedly lost away from home against Champions League finalists.

Game 2: Unlucky to lose to a mid-table side. (I know xG isn't perfect, but it was Villa 1.66 - 1.63 Bournemouth on xG yesterday. Their first goal came out of nothing, and their second goal was a miscommunication with a new player followed by a huge deflection.)

It's a disappointing start, but I don't think DS has really done anything outrageously wrong, nor does it make me worried that we can't compete at this level. If we keep playing like we're playing, we will start to pick up points. So far we haven't had the rub of the green, but we're not so far off the opposition that we're going to get schooled every week.

A lot of the analysis is hindsight wisdom at the moment. Show me a major change in tactics or team selection that would have made a difference to either of those results.

I think we just need to keep plugging away, trust in DS, and the results will come. We need roughly 10 wins and 10 draws across the course of the season. Loads of opportunities left to achieve that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

*Full back selection

Really sensible post. There are things to add but I concur. 

• Thanks 2

I think tactically we need to close the gaps between each part of the pitch...mainly midfield and defence.

In the first half we looked like we were playing a 5 5 formation...grealish and mcginn were too high leaving Luiz when we had the ball no options apart from going sideways to the fullback who would then hit it long down the line releying on wingers to bring it down and bring others in, which didnt work

This improved in the second half when they dropped back a bit more and we used the middle of the pitch more.

I am surprised we haven't seen target or Guilbert...elmo and Taylor are just to cautious and offer nothing going forward...its been said on here they have had a good game..but when you dont do much its hard not to have a bad game as you just go through the motions.

Watching all the games this weekend most if not every team play in a kind of bank of defence 20 yards forward a bank of midfielders then another 20 years the forwards and this moves up and down the pitch playing inbetween the opposition.

I would like to see a more balanced team across the pitch with a 4 2 3...technically a 5 in midfield  and one up top. This would give us more options other than long balls down the wing.  With mcginn and grealish in the midfield both like to push high. We need someone near to luiz to be an outlet and get the team playing 20 yard passes. Playing three in the middle just leaves us open...maybe we should only play one winger.

Heston

Guilbert  Angeles mings....target

Another   luiz

Trez     grealish    mcginn

Wesley

True..we are being punished for mistakes...the pen definitely at mistake...the second came from a mistake but without the deflection Wheaton would have saved it.

Some definite positives but in order to compete we need to be more proactive than reactive.   Everton will be a strong test and we need to be at it 100%

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Would also add that he needs to find a way of getting us to play at a PL tempo. This slow motion football won’t get us anywhere 

Good point.

I think a good start is to get players off the ball offering themselves more to the player on the ball and giving him options.......so often we make a break only for the player to stop check and look for a player to pass to, by that time we get closed down and lose the ball....rinse and repeat.

11 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I think tactically we need to close the gaps between each part of the pitch...mainly midfield and defence.

In the first half we looked like we were playing a 5 5 formation...grealish and mcginn were too high leaving Luiz when we had the ball no options apart from going sideways to the fullback who would then hit it long down the line releying on wingers to bring it down and bring others in, which didnt work

This improved in the second half when they dropped back a bit more and we used the middle of the pitch more.

I am surprised we haven't seen target or Guilbert...elmo and Taylor are just to cautious and offer nothing going forward...its been said on here they have had a good game..but when you dont do much its hard not to have a bad game as you just go through the motions.

Watching all the games this weekend most if not every team play in a kind of bank of defence 20 yards forward a bank of midfielders then another 20 years the forwards and this moves up and down the pitch playing inbetween the opposition.

I would like to see a more balanced team across the pitch with a 4 2 3...technically a 5 in midfield  and one up top. This would give us more options other than long balls down the wing.  With mcginn and grealish in the midfield both like to push high. We need someone near to luiz to be an outlet and get the team playing 20 yard passes. Playing three in the middle just leaves us open...maybe we should only play one winger.

Heston

Guilbert  Angeles mings....target

Another   luiz

Trez     grealish    mcginn

Wesley

True..we are being punished for mistakes...the pen definitely at mistake...the second came from a mistake but without the deflection Wheaton would have saved it.

Some definite positives but in order to compete we need to be more proactive than reactive.   Everton will be a strong test and we need to be at it 100%

I am close to your thinking fwiw.

I would suspect Marvellous is the man for the other DM role.....I must admit I am troubled at leaving Conor out.....He scores goals and right now we haven't got them in abundance.

as for Heston, Charlton is the original gladiator.😀 between the sticks or Wheaton not fussed, not a stick of wheat between them.

PS Angel could play up front, but getting on now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

After some thinking... 

Trez on the left, gilbert on the right 

We then in theory have our right side with 2 who can cross.

The left with trez and taylor or trez and target 

Not too much messing around but gives us more than what we have at the moment.

Leaves el ghazi as impact sub which we do not have as it stands.

Just saw this and realised I expressed some similar views in the Ratings & Reactions thread. Quickly giving you a trophy by way of out-of-court settlement (and simply because I agree).

I can't help thinking Smith's plan was to have EG and Trez more mobile around Wesley with the full backs providing width and crosses. At Spurs I could understand the more defensively solid Taylor and Elmo but I expected to see Targett and Guilbert against Bournemouth when we should have been right at it from the off. As others have said giving the ball away cheaply was again our main weakness. Its early days and there are enough positive signs for me to feel calm we will be safe this year...A goalscore in Jan would be nice though!

The only reason Taylor and Elmo are starting IMO is down to their experience at this level and perhaps Smith not wanting to bed too many in straight away. Can't talk as much for Guilbert but there's no way Targett is worse defensively than Taylor. 

Ultimately to be a better goal threat we need Guilbert and Targett in the side, they have better delivery and push on and make the overlap both more often and much better.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Taylor and Guilbert had nothing to do with the goals or the defeat.

Sad how people keep bringing them up. We already have our scapegoats.

I thought them both especially Elmo had a good game.

This is nonsense. Elmo and Taylor have done ok, fine, but we can improve on them and have the quality there to do so. It's not scapegoating, it's being rational, we have better players than them in the squad and it's only a matter of time before they come in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

we have better players than them in the squad

You're basing that on what? Pre Season?

I thought Targett looked poor in pre season and Elmo has been one of our best players for the past 4 months.

Â