Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Trying to not get too ahead of myself but this pre season has been absolutely fantastic. We've looked fit, sharp and for once have a very clear way of playing. 

So impressed with today. I did think we might get outclassed as you know, Leipzig are a very good side and Nagelsmann is a very good manager but it wasn't the case at all. Extremely positive signs for this upcoming season and as long as we stick to our style there's absolutely no reason we won't stay up and do well. 

• Like 4

You can tell that work is taking place on the training ground. We actually look a unit with all the new players in. Relationships are being made etc. We look comfortable in and out of position (although not all the time this will come) This is what we needed when we signed Gueye etc but we unfortunately had a fraud in charge at the time and it was a waste of time despite the right intentions by the club. Luckily this time we have a coach who actually coaches the players and improves them, quite rare these days.

• Like 2

Smith's beginning to look an inspired choice of manager, he's got a calmness about him that's suits a big club. If he can keep us up this year,  I think he will, he's done a superb job.

The players he has chosen all seem to have winning mentalities and I get the impression that there players he has watched for a few seasons, his wish list.

I have a feeling he will do so well with us that the big guns will come a calling, he has a SAF type of vibe about him.....

5 hours ago, tinker said:

I have a feeling he will do so well with us that the big guns will come a calling, 

He is already at one of the "big guns"

😋

6 hours ago, tinker said:

Smith's beginning to look an inspired choice of manager, he's got a calmness about him that's suits a big club. If he can keep us up this year,  I think he will, he's done a superb job.

The players he has chosen all seem to have winning mentalities and I get the impression that there players he has watched for a few seasons, his wish list.

I have a feeling he will do so well with us that the big guns will come a calling, he has a SAF type of vibe about him.....

not worried at all about him being poached.

I just hope he does well enough that no-one considers replacing him.

Other than that if we do well, the owners have a lot of financial clout and if we really want to push on im sure we could build a very competitive team (once we get past the first season of staying up), im sure DS would love to manage a villa team that he supports, when he has massive support for signing top players, he could become a legend.

I mean....to me DS is already a bit of a legend, but i mean a true villa legend that is spoken about in 50 years.

6 hours ago, tinker said:

He's English so he would never be considered by the big media darling clubs. 

England national team on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Xela said:

He's English so he would never be considered by the big media darling clubs

Chelsea have taken on Lampard (yes I know his playing history but still)

And let’s not forget “everyone’s favourite second club” Newcastle have taken on an Englishman. :P

I think there is now a shift in balance over the thought of the new breed of English coach’s and they are becoming more and more popular 

Was chatting to a Spurs fan at Edgbaston who's family are all Brentford so he's seen alot of them. Kept saying that Deano is a genius, that Jota is an absolute steal and once he settles Konsa will prove a bargain as well. He must have spent half hour just calling Deano a genius of a manager.

interesting how Deano said he was watching Engels at Brugge, and it was Suso who raised the idea of Wesley to Deano, and while watching Wesley they noticed Nakamba.

Deano also mentions how he was surprised and happy that he got Heaton.

Interesting interview.

Says we are open to more players but things would need to "line up" for them to happen.

• Like 2

On 04/08/2019 at 12:05, tinker said:

I admire your optimism but when we go 10 without a win he'll be having dogs abuse off the resident bone heads. The days of a manager having the time and freedom to do what SAF did are long gone. 

We've been playing some unbelievable stuff this preseason, which underscores the importance of a preseason for a proper manager like Smith, a manager with a clear identity and footballing philosophy and a clear plan on how to achieve this, especially in terms of strength and conditioning. Makes a refreshing change from the dinosaur who preceded him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

interesting how Deano said he was watching Engels at Brugge, and it was Suso who raised the idea of Wesley to Deano, and while watching Wesley they noticed Nakamba.

Deano also mentions how he was surprised and happy that he got Heaton.

Interesting interview.

Says we are open to more players but things would need to "line up" for them to happen.

article-2607028-1D2A2AFD00000578-120_306

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

That's telling me we need to swap or sell players to get anymore in ,maybe Hogan back to Brentford? 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

That's telling me we need to swap or sell players to get anymore in ,maybe Hogan back to Brentford? 

0% chance of that happening imo, Brentford seem to have a pretty decent scouting set up, no way they would Hogan back. 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

When he says things need to line up he means, "we have targets, but the selling club needs to be in the position to sell". For example, Brentford selling Benrahma was only happening if they managed to sign his replacement. We've been fortunate this window that clubs have been willing to sell without delaying things, but as we approach deadline day, clubs get a bit more cautious and things slow down a bit as a result. 

Edited by Daweii

Â