Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, tinker said:

That's telling me we need to swap or sell players to get anymore in ,maybe Hogan back to Brentford? 

As good as it would be, I can’t see Hogan wanted back by Brentford.

It’s possible that we might feel the need to shift a couple out of the squad before another signing or two, but if Smith’s most recent video was filmed before yesterday, it could mean Brentford were waiting to sign a new winger before agreeing to sell Benrahma. Although, unless Deano was being deliberately cagey in his response, his downbeat ‘things have got to line up for anything to happen’ doesn’t indicate signing Benrahma will be that straight forward, so I’ve just contradicted myself!

Smith: Was kidding to my wife his brother is called tremendous.

Wonder if there's a Miraculous or a Fabulous in the family also.

Good Interview from Smith love the bloke.

On 05/08/2019 at 19:10, Dr_Pangloss said:

We've been playing some unbelievable stuff this preseason, which underscores the importance of a preseason for a proper manager like Smith, a manager with a clear identity and footballing philosophy and a clear plan on how to achieve this, especially in terms of strength and conditioning. Makes a refreshing change from the dinosaurs who preceded him.

Fixed this.

Maybe they haven't all been dinosaurs like Bruce, but when was the last time we had a manager who had a clear system and identity? (or rather a GOOD system or identity?)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fixed this.

Maybe they haven't all been dinosaurs like Bruce, but when was the last time we had a manager who had a clear system and identity? (or rather a GOOD system or identity?)

I don’t think any of the managers we’ve had in my time as a fan (since early-mid 90s) come close to Smith in that department. We played some good stuff under MON, but that wasn’t a system or an identity, it was player types and man management. 

Edited by Michelsen

I think this will be the 1st Deadline Day not clinging to the news of a last minute signing to make us feel positive. Not that we wont be signing anybody but its good to know we arent desperate to bring in a Salifou, Simon Dawkins etc

• Like 2

On 04/08/2019 at 18:27, Xela said:

He's English so he would never be considered by the big media darling clubs. 

England national team on the other hand...

He has got to be in a strong position should he want it - crikey they interviewed Bruce and gave the job to a fellow dinosaur !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

He has got to be in a strong position should he want it - crikey they interviewed Bruce and gave the job to a fellow dinosaur !

Good news is the England setup and the FA are so incompetent they are unlikely to consider Smith until he is past it or has gone and failed at a club they pay attention to. I am also hoping they continue to think Grealish isnt good enough, long may that continue. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

I know the England job is seen as the pinnacle for many English managers but I'm not sure Smith would want it at this stage of his career, and I'm not sure how successful he would be at it. 

Now that isn't a criticism, far from it, but Smith is a very hands on manager whos main attribute is his coaching ability and philosophy of "playing the right way"- he wants to be on the training pitch eveey single day.  The England manager gets the lads for about 2 weeks every couple of months, it's incredibly difficult to get across a long term philosophy in such a short space of time. 

Edited by av1

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know the England job is seen as the pinnacle for many English managers but I'm not sure Smith would want it at this stage of his career, and I'm not sure how successful he would be at it. 

Now that isn't a criticism, far from it, but Smith is a very hands on manager whos main attribute is his coaching ability and philosophy of "playing the right way"- he wants to be on the training pitch eveey single day.  The England manager gets the lads for about 2 weeks every couple of months, it's incredibly difficult to get across a long term philosophy in such a short space of time. 

After ten years with us winning everything in sight Dean Smith can go with our blessing to lead England to WC glory!

33 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know the England job is seen as the pinnacle for many English managers but I'm not sure Smith would want it at this stage of his career

At this stage of his career he's not going to be offered it. 

I found the interview particularly interesting when he was explaining to a degree of not bringing anyone else in late on, in the striking positions.

The questioner touched on strikers and said  "are we a bit light" ?......DS explained that goals come from all over the team last season and he see's nothing changing in that aspect and that our strikers will be more hold up players/target men.

Arsene Wenger also touched on this philosophy, when asked about his strikers getting their shooting boots on after scoring 6 goals in a game, following a bit of a drought......He said " Teams score goals, strikers just finish the move"

I too think we have goals all over the team.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I found the interview particularly interesting when he was explaining to a degree of not bringing anyone else in late on, in the striking positions.

The questioner touched on strikers and said  "are we a bit light" ?......DS explained that goals come from all over the team last season and he see's nothing changing in that aspect and that our strikers will be more hold up players/target men.

Arsene Wenger also touched on this philosophy, when asked about his strikers getting their shooting boots on after scoring 6 goals in a game, following a bit of a drought......He said " Teams score goals, strikers just finish the move"

I too think we have goals all over the team.

Agree. Clear as day to me, no idea why some think we need a “striker” as such, it’s just not how we play.

• Like 2

It's the beginning of the season so every so called media "expert" is doing their "who will win?, who will be relegated, yada, yada" predictions piece. This is one football expert's answer to "Which manager will be sacked first?" (https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/premier-league-predictions-who-will-win-top-six-relegation-teams-first-to-be-fired-golden-boot/news-story/406504c14a76df2313a608d94314c24c)

AP: Dean Smith at Villa. I just don’t like the feeling — you saw it with Fulham last season — of bringing in these players left, right and centre. I know they had to get rid of a lot of older players and bring in some fresh new talent and their fans are happy because they have spent, but it’s such a hard thing to mesh all of that together.

😠... I'm soooooooooo looking forward to seeing these "experts" with egg on their face.

Edited by ozvillafan
to _seeing_ these
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's the beginning of the season so every so called media "expert" is doing their "who will win?, who will be relegated, yada, yada" predictions piece. This is one football expert's answer to "Which manager will be sacked first?" (https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/premier-league-predictions-who-will-win-top-six-relegation-teams-first-to-be-fired-golden-boot/news-story/406504c14a76df2313a608d94314c24c)

😠... I'm soooooooooo looking forward to seeing these "experts" with egg on their face.

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Do not think it was difficult knitting a team of someone else's players together last season?

Knitting things together is Smith's forte ...

It's been February the last time I came away from a matchday feeling like we'd lost.

Throw in the outrageous summer and it's been 6 months solid of Villa positivity. Doubt that will ever happen again.

Good luck Deano. Stick to your guns despite the drubbings we're going to pickup. 

Â