Dean Smith

Demitri_C

He chose to start Elmo and Taylor and leave Guilbert and Targett out. Grim decision making. Damn grim recruitment if we've signed full backs worse than those who weren't very good in Championship. Newbies both look like they have strengths to me so for now I'll stick with the decision making.

Think he was throwing old dogs a bone. Place is yours unless your play yourself out. Hopefully both full backs and Hourihane all out of next week's team.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Played against a top side and held our own for the majority of the game.

A few fickle ones here clearly didn’t watch what Spurs did to some of Europe’s top sides last season.

I have to agree, you can't be comfortable with any defeat, but you can put it into context. For us as fans, if any individual expected us to go to Spurs and win, then perhaps they are lacking a bit of perspective. 

I don't actually think that is the case, I think the dissapoinmtent stems from the fact that we were ahead for so long, and blew it in part because of a few individual errors and a bit of bad luck. 

Spurs are where we would like to be, and they gave us a bit of a lesson today. 

No worry though, it's a long season and there is so much much to happen between now and May. Staying up would be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He chose to start Elmo and Taylor and leave Guilbert and Targett out. Grim decision making. Damn grim recruitment if we've signed full backs worse than those who weren't very good in Championship. 

Elmo and Taylor both had good games so i don't understand your point. We knew we were going to on the back foot do i don't understand the critism of the selection. 

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Some people for some reason didn't seem to realise how good Spurs are, 

26 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Played against a top side and held our own for the majority of the game.

A few fickle ones here clearly didn’t watch what Spurs did to some of Europe’s top sides last season.

Both very good posts. 

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Dean Smith has always come across to me as someone willing to learn and not necessarily stuck in his own ways, so at least there's lots to learn from from today and hopefully we can improve from there.

Good post again. We will be better for today, there were positive signs. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It'd have been great to have him to come on. If Davis isn't going to come on when we're hanging on to a result with 15 minutes left away from home, when is he? That's exactly the situation I'd want him in. 

I guess Smith thought it was far more likely we'd be chasing a result, which is fair enough. 

I think also because Spurs generally hold a high line defensively which I noticed a bit last season in the few games I saw on tv.

we actually scored today because of that.  Trez almost got in as well because of that but a fine defensive tackle by Winks on the half way saved Spurs.  

I’m not a massive fan of Kodja but break away attacks/counter attacks or one on ones, he’s better at than Davis obviously so maybe that was Deans thinking.

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He chose to start Elmo and Taylor and leave Guilbert and Targett out. Grim decision making. Damn grim recruitment if we've signed full backs worse than those who weren't very good in Championship. Newbies both look like they have strengths to me so for now I'll stick with the decision making.

Think he was throwing old dogs a bone. Place is yours unless your play yourself out. Hopefully both full backs and Hourihane all out of next week's team.

Taylor has played 130 games in Premier league - championship and premierleg. Totally different game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Elmo and Taylor both had good games so i don't understand your point. We knew we were going to on the back foot do i don't understand the critism of the selection.

Mings, Engels, Heaton, McGinn had good games. Full backs were passable at best. Naturally people's opinions of their game may be over-egged because they're both poor players.

If we've spent £20m on two full backs worse than than Elmo and Taylor I'm worried our recruitment team.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Mings, Engels, Heaton, McGinn had good games. Full backs were passable at best. Naturally people's opinions of their game may be over-egged because they're both poor players.

If you think Elmo and Taylor were " passable at best" you have absolutely no idea about football. 

Elmo started because physically he was appropriate for this game. He is more disciplined defensively than Guilbert. Elmo is an international and a decent player at this level.

Taylor impressed me. He won a lot of tackles and he did very well.

The other two full backs now need to grasp their chance when given.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we've spent £20m on two full backs worse than than Elmo and Taylor I'm worried our recruitment team.

Our fullbacks did well. As you say, it’s their place to lose rather than just automatically starting the fancy new names. 

One of mistakes Fulham made was destroying the team spirit of the dressing room by dumping the players who earned them promotion and throwing together a bunch of new faces. 

If Guilbert and Targett are good enough (which I think they are) then they will earn their place in the side and go on to make it theirs (the same goes for the likes of Luiz over Hourihane or Jota over El Ghazi etc). 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Harsh on Taylor who had a good game defensively. We need competition all over the park.

• Like 2

Â