Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Jedinak will suprise a few people.  Whelan will probably return too. 

Agree. Also defending is about more than a player or two, it’s about the whole team.....one of Dean Smiths biggest achievements is how we defend as an Eleven and attack as an Eleven ( or a ten, the other night).

Whilst Mings tremendous organisational powers are a big miss I think we will still look more solid defensively than earlier in the season.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

Just now, Dave J said:

I hope you are right - why do u think Whelan will start?

I also think Whelan will start.

He was rested in midweek, for a reason, in my view, in order that he play tomorrow. Rightly so, as he’s been a key player in our excellent run. Even more important with the changes at the back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I hope you are right - why do u think Whelan will start?

Rotation, keep it fresh. I think we looked more balanced with him in the team to allow Mcginn and Grealish to go forward. 

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree. Also defending is about more than a player or two, it’s about the whole team.....one of Dean Smiths biggest achievements is how we defend as an Eleven and attack as an Eleven ( or a ten, the other night).

Whilst Mings tremendous organisational powers are a big miss I think we will still look more solid defensively than earlier in the season.

As @TRO has mentioned many times in this league you need a big defender that is good in the air first and foremost.

It’s a very direct league with lots of crosses and set pieces. Bruce used to get a lot of stick for playing Jedinak at the back but I never thought he was that bad.

My anger with Bruce about playing him there was down to him playing players out of position instead of getting cover. I actually think he always did ok.

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He was rested in midweek, for a reason, in my view, in order that he play tomorrow. Rightly so, as he’s been a key player in our excellent run. Even more important with the changes at the back.

I just felt McGinn was awesome on Wednesday and personally I would keep the same shape tbh with you

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Spot On IMO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Rotation, keep it fresh. I think we looked more balanced with him in the team to allow Mcginn and Grealish to go forward. 

As @TRO has mentioned many times in this league you need a big defender that is good in the air first and foremost.

It’s a very direct league with lots of crosses and set pieces. Bruce used to get a lot of stick for playing Jedinak at the back but I never thought he was that bad.

My anger with Bruce about playing him there was down to him playing players out of position instead of getting cover. I actually think he always did ok.

Thanks....I think it is absolutely crucial in this league.....not optional, Crucial.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I think Mings is, well, tremendous in what he has done....but he has wobbled a bit in the last 2 or 3 games....He too might need a rest and the suspension, might have been a god send.

Some of these things that come along are, well.....Heaven sent.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I just felt McGinn was awesome on Wednesday and personally I would keep the same shape tbh with you

McGinn was unbelieveable.....I could have literally cried for the amount of work that guy got through and at the same time disappointed some of our lot just watched him do it.

I will never be happy despite our results until more players emulate John McGinn and help him out a bit.

He is the only player we have, who knows what an Arse is for in football?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

McGinn was unbelieveable.....I could have literally cried for the amount of work that guy got through and at the same time disappointed some of our lot just watched him do it.

I will never be happy despite our results until more players emulate John McGinn and help him out.

Absolutely spot on mate. 

John McGinn epitomises everything a football fan wants to see week in week out. If you could watch 10 (goalie excluded) of him every week you would be a happy supporter. 

The other night, at the end of the game, he looked like he took a nasty knock. Elmohamady looked totally jaded too. Those two dominated down that right side second half and I just worry they did too much and it will have taken its toll. Because of that, it wouldn't surprise me if Bristol City won tomorrow. I pray I'm wrong but so many of our players looked so wasted the other night that I can just see them performing below par tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He just needs to win over @jim, @villalad21 and @screwdriver and we got a VT full house ;)

edit: missed out @LakotaDakota

I’ve said my peace, nothing to grumble about at present. Keeps getting results he has my full support.

I criticised him when we were bobbins and rightly so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am blown away with the 7 wins on the bounce, but the doubt for me is the flanks

The Full backs and wingers need to do more for me....sure there have been good moments from them.....but their challenges and commitment have been iffy for me, too hit and miss....their physical involvement iffy.

They need to be fired up and at it to win me over.

Ps No body from Bristol watching I trust.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Ha Ha  you Tiger...LOVE THAT.

Spot on Terry

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He just needs to win over @jim, @villalad21 and @screwdriver and we got a VT full house ;)

edit: missed out @LakotaDakota

Not going to change my opinion of him becase of a good run, i'm not that inconsistent in my opinions.

He's on the right track, but i'm curious how we will do if/when Jack get's injured again. Are we still a one man team?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, brommy said:

10 internet points to anyone who can provide stats to disprove the dreaded myth that the award  jinxes the next result. Anyone...please!

Found this elsewhere:

MOTM 18/19 winners - subsequent game:
August: Bielsa (Leeds) - Millwall (A): Draw
September: Moore (WBA) - Reading (H): Win
October: McClaren (QPR) - Brentford (H): Win
November: Farke (Norwich) - Bolton (H): Win
December: Adkins (Hull City) - Sheffield Wednesday (H): Win
January: Mowbray (Blackburn Rovers) - Bristol City (H): Loss
February: Wilder (Sheffield United) - Rotherham (H): Win

Not really that dreadful, IMO. The only proverbial fly in the ointment might  be that the only loss in that list was against Bristol City. Then again, Blackburn's form really nosedived after January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am blown away with the 7 wins on the bounce, but the doubt for me is the flanks

The Full backs and wingers need to do more for me....sure there have been good moments from them.....but their challenges and commitment have been iffy for me, too hit and miss....their physical involvement iffy.

They need to be fired up and at it to win me over.

Ps No body from Bristol watching I trust.

Wingers TRO - it's an age old issue.

if you get one in 6/7 from them your doing ok 

• Like 1

Â