Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The squad is not on par at all. What a joke comment. Terry and Johnstone have been massive losses for us and so has not having snodgrass. 

Ridiculous comment. 

You're right, McGinn and Abraham have taken our midfield and attack backwards. Bolasie, El Ghazi and a fit Kodjia have also reduced our options. 

Hilarious, over the top, irrational comment as per. 

1 minute ago, Avcol said:

I remember when Smith first came in and it suddenly felt exciting again and we were being entertained. Felt like we'd score every time we attacked. Last few games have felt like real slogs to watch reminiscent of Bruce's time. Obviously I am absolutely behind Smith and he can only work with what he has. You can't polish a turd and our defence is a big one. 

What the last few games have showed us though is how reliant we are on Grealish for creativity and hearing that he's out until at least Feb is a concern. That is on Smith to find a solution and fast. If he wants to outscore the opposition then that's fine but conceding two at home every game and hoping Tammy gets on the end of a cross isn't enough. We need to be multidimensional.

Not only Grealish, Axel has been a massive miss for us

5 minutes ago, Avcol said:

I remember when Smith first came in and it suddenly felt exciting again and we were being entertained. Felt like we'd score every time we attacked. Last few games have felt like real slogs to watch reminiscent of Bruce's time. Obviously I am absolutely behind Smith and he can only work with what he has. You can't polish a turd and our defence is a big one. 

What the last few games have showed us though is how reliant we are on Grealish for creativity and hearing that he's out until at least Feb is a concern. That is on Smith to find a solution and fast. If he wants to outscore the opposition then that's fine but conceding two at home every game and hoping Tammy gets on the end of a cross isn't enough. We need to be multidimensional.

Excellent post. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

A little worried how things will go under DS when he doesn't have Abraham or Grealish next year. 

As for our squad being crap, it's about on par with last seasons, and Bruce took us to the PO final. Funny how DS is being defended with a stick used to beat Bruce. 

Happy for him to have a full season, but this last month has me concerned. 

I would agree that the squad is on par with last season. Better this season actually.

Apart from Terry at CB we've only upgraded. Terry was absent for periods too, and we included players like Baker and Samba in our starting lineup.

I don't see Davis or Onomah who played a significant portion of last season getting in to this side for an extended run.

So I see where you are coming from in saying that Bruce was beaten with the same stick that defends Smith.

However I am not as concerned as you are with recent showings. I think we are showing some massive potential which if fulfilled could have us promoted.

It's not established yet, otherwise results that might've gone our way only to slip our grasp would have gone differently. They didn't and we have a long road ahead.

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No, but he did a shit job this season. The reason he got sacked is because this is a side that should be pushing for promotion. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have been sacked. 

latest?cb=20150320192210

DS is the right man imo, he's just working with sub standard goods, and we are missing some key players, grealish & Tuanzebe have prob been two of our most important players consistently this season i think.

Hutton is a liability, but also our mid field is leaving the defence exposed a lot, so many time teams run or pass right through us, McGinn cant do it all alone, Hourihane is a total disaster imo, again today he was tackled and stood there with his arms out talking to the ref as they ran straight through us and i believe had a shot, BB is also pointless, the mid field just doesnt offer enough pressing cover and shirks from responsibility and tackles (McGinn aside).

The people in defence are important, but when we have a mid field of wet lettuces who can even justify their lack of desire by being obviously amazing going forward, is at least part of the reason we are a mess.

the Chester/Elphick pairing looked mostly ok today, Bree also looked ok but played a hell of a lot of long balls.

We seriously need a new LB to either challenge or replace Taylor, but i also think just as importantly we need a new ball playing DM who actually presses/tackles, and probably another MC who is comfortable with a DS system, its becoming more and more apparent that without the right players in that centre midfield 3, the whole format starts to struggle.

We need a player who can play a Grealish type game, and a ball playing DM desperately. (on top of the defensive stuff).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No, but he did a shit job this season. The reason he got sacked is because this is a side that should be pushing for promotion. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have been sacked. 

I suppose it’s ultimately how well you perceive Smith is doing.

Regardless of the squad, I think he’s still doing a decent job. If the season had started from his first game, we’d be 7th (2 points off a play off spot in this Smith-era league). Ahead of Forest, Boro, Sheff Utd and Baggies. Not bad when you consider the general quality of the opposition over the 14 games and this current poor patch we’ve seen.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I suppose it’s ultimately how well you perceive Smith is doing.

Regardless of the squad, I think he’s still doing a decent job. If the season had started from his first game, we’d be 7th (2 points off a play off spot in this Smith-era league). Ahead of Forest, Boro, Sheff Utd and Baggies. Not bad when you consider the general quality of the opposition over the 14 games and this current poor patch we’ve seen.

Not great either. I'm not completely sold yet. Like many say, he deserves more time. So do I.

26 minutes ago, Avcol said:

What the last few games have showed us though is how reliant we are on Grealish for creativity and hearing that he's out until at least Feb is a concern. 

We shouldn't be so reliant on him though. McGinn and Hourihane then two from Bolasie, Kodjia, El Ghazi and Adomah are excellent creative options at this level. 

Since WBA away we have gotten progressively worse and whilst our defensive deficiencies are obvious I am equally as concerned by how we often look clueless going forward. Today we resorted to lumping it forward which is never going to suit us and played right into QPR's hands.

I think quality wise our squad in terms of midfield and attack is as good as any and better than most. I can't think of any other clubs with as much overall quality as Grealish, Abraham, Bolasie, Kodjia, El Ghazi, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan, Davis, Adomah to choose from. 

We have improved the goalkeeping position we now need to improve at left back and centre back. If we do so I'd like to think we will have the time to overhaul the likes of Sheff Utd, Sha, Forest, Derby who on paper at least we are better than.

This is a very mediocre Championship as shown by the likes of Sha and Sheff Utd in or around the top 6. I think Smith and the club know next season it will only be harder for us to be promoted especially as we will be without Grealish and Abraham who are exceptional players for this level.

Hopefully the 11 days between league games will allow us to rest a few players, bring a couple of players in and come back and get back to playing the kind of football we did in Smiths first couple of months here and the levels shown especially against Derby and Boro. We have shown we have it in us to play much better than we have of late which despite recent performances still gives me hope we can mount a challenge for promotion this season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Just now, AVTuco said:

Not great either. I'm not completely sold yet. Like many say, he deserves more time. So do I.

That’s why I said decent and not bad. Being among the top 7 sides in the form book considering the amount of promotion hopefuls he’s faced is ok in my book.

I’m not sold. I don’t know if he’ll ultimately be a success here. I just think overall he’s doing better than the last manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We shouldn't be so reliant on him though. McGinn and Hourihane then two from Bolasie, Kodjia, El Ghazi and Adomah are excellent creative options at this level. 

Since WBA away we have gotten progressively worse and whilst our defensive deficiencies are obvious I am equally as concerned by how we often look clueless going forward. Today we resorted to lumping it forward which is never going to suit us and played right into QPR's hands.

I think quality wise our squad in terms of midfield and attack is as good as any and better than most. I can't think of any other clubs with as much overall quality as Grealish, Abraham, Bolasie, Kodjia, El Ghazi, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan, Davis, Adomah to choose from. 

We have improved the goalkeeping position we now need to improve at left back and centre back. If we do so I'd like to think we will have the time to overhaul the likes of Sheff Utd, Sha, Forest, Derby who on paper at least we are better than.

This is a very mediocre Championship as shown by the likes of Sha and Sheff Utd in or around the top 6. I think Smith and the club know next season it will only be harder for us to be promoted especially as we will be without Grealish and Abraham who are exceptional players for this level.

Hopefully the 11 days between league games will allow us to rest a few players, bring a couple of players in and come back and get back to playing the kind of football we did in Smiths first couple of months here and the levels shown especially against Derby and Boro. We have shown we have it in us to play much better than we have of late which despite recent performances still gives me hope we can mount a challenge for promotion this season.

Fair assessment.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

A little worried how things will go under DS when he doesn't have Abraham or Grealish next year. 

As for our squad being crap, it's about on par with last seasons, and Bruce took us to the PO final. Funny how DS is being defended with a stick used to beat Bruce. 

Happy for him to have a full season, but this last month has me concerned. 

Can't use a stick like that on Smith, that's just horrible. It broke under Bruce and it's irreparable from all the beatings, so much that one fan had to replace the stick with a cabbage, he should of thought about a bowling ball instead and maybe Wednesday mite be saved from the hellish ride tenure about to get.

Edited by Dave-R

43 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

From the post match interview he is saying the right things, identifying the biggest problems we've got so I feel like there's a good chance he will fix them.  

He is always brutally honest which I really admire about him especially as he predecessor had a habit of often describing a different game or making excuses.

He will get it right again and I think we will see us back to the levels, and some, that we saw in his first couple of months here and especially against the likes of Boro, Derby and Albion.

I think under Smith regardless of personnel we will always be susceptible to conceding and be quite open. What we have failed to do too often lately under him is get the second/third goals in games and kill teams off as we have gone one up then taken our foot of the gas. We certainly did it today and on Saturday. When you play as open as Smiths teams do without killing teams off you are always open to the sucker punches.

He'll be as disappointed as anyone that we have taken 7 points from a possible 18 and only won one of our last six as he will know we are capable of much better. Unlike under his predecessor though where it had become apparent despite being capable of better we were never going to achieve it under Smith we have already shown we are a match for any of the better sides in this division and I am confident we will soon show that again. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes I do agree with alot of what your saying.

I think we're going to have to increase our squad capacity, the level of football were playing is damn rite taxing and gruelling for our players, that 40+ games is enough to kill off a squad easy. We need a first team which can easily be rotated with a second team, we don't have a second team that can be trusted enough to get the job done, that's why we have so many fatigued players, that needs to change in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes I do agree with alot of what your saying.

I think we're going to have to increase our squad capacity, the level of football were playing is damn rite taxing and gruelling for our players, that 40+ games is enough to kill off a squad easy. We need a first team which can easily be rotated with a second team, we don't have a second team that can be trusted enough to get the job done, that's why we have so many fatigued players, that needs to change in my eyes.

Crikey nobody has a complete second team. Hopefully when Lansbury and Grealish are back fit that will allow them to take the strain off Hourihane and McGinn.

Adomah, Kodjia, El Ghazi and Bolasie have already been rotating. Tammy is in such great form and confidence sky high that he is breezing through the games so no need to call on Kodjia to go up top or Hogan/Davis. Most teams will want to keep a settled back four/keeper and I'd hope with a couple of additions we'll be able to do that over the final 20 games.

With the goalkeeper coming in and a couple more players I am sure Smith will be feel he has enough to be able to mount an assault on the top 6.

59 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

You're right, McGinn and Abraham have taken our midfield and attack backwards. Bolasie, El Ghazi and a fit Kodjia have also reduced our options. 

Hilarious, over the top, irrational comment as per. 

We have excellent options going forward. The defence is an absolute mess and has been all season. That is not on par with last year. There's a reason that on january 1st we've signed a keeper and recalled 2 players back from loan. And i'll give you a hint, we didn't do it because the squad is as strong as last year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

We won't go up by just signing a LB and CB. We absolutely need a creative midfielder to cover Grealish otherwise we have no chance.

I don't know, we seem to be averaging 2 goals every game under DS if we can be more solid at the back these draws would turn into wins.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I don't know, we seem to be averaging 2 goals every game under DS if we can be more solid at the back these draws would turn into wins.

I'm not entirely convinced our defensive record is purely down to personnel and not the system. 

• Like 1

Â