Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes - I think he will fail here. you want me to say something else other than what I believe.  To be fair now he is here he needs a couple of windows to bring his own players in . But if you ask me honestly I think the defensive frailties that were present at Brentford will continue here - even when he does get his new recruits in. 

That's a pretty unfair assessment of Dean Smith, we've looked incredibly weak at the back because we have been left with an awful defensive unit by Bruce. Currently playing a third choice right back in front of a goalkeeper that the defence have no confidence in results in a bad situation straight from kick off, add to that a right back at left back as we have no backup.

Defensive frailties at Brentford may be so but they are a team on a tight budget in a very competitive league, we've seen them sell their best players in each transfer window since we have been in this league, and that will likely continue in January.

We've looked defeated in the last few games but its mostly due to having a makeshift back line, full backs that aren't up to playing this style and missing Grealish. If we can get the defense sorted in January and bring in an extra midfielder who is able to carry the ball then Smith can carry on improving our performances in the next 6 months before a busy Summer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Are we creating systems ? or creating a team that can score goals against an injury ravaged Preston. 

Yes. I think that's exactly what we're doing, creating systems that suit our individual talents and give us the most chance of scoring goals against an injury ravaged Preston. 

It's noticeable for instance that with Grealish out, we've gone to get the ball wide more quickly and a little bit more directly, we're trying to give El Ghazi and Bolasie chances to be isolated with fullbacks and pull centre halves out wide, then have McGinn get into the box. It's a change to the style we had with Grealish in the side which was more patient. There's a flexibility. Some thought on the way to make it most likely we'll score goals against an injury ravaged Preston. We're struggling a little with this style - it might be a tactical thing, it might be having no left back, no centre back and missing our playmaker - it'll be interesting to see if we adjust again for QPR.

I'd have liked to see Kodjia come on against Preston, I think the game was set for an impact sub and that's where I think Kodjia's role with us will be for the most part going forward - at his best he's electric, pacy, tricky, strong and with a good instinct for a finish - but he's not someone that plays well in a system or adjusts to different styles and tactics - he's not great at playing with others - at his best he's a one man defence wrecking machine - I wouldn't try to change that at this stage, I think it's about how and when we deploy it - as I say, I thought Preston was an opportunity to do that, but we finished the game strongly. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Always frustrates me when the typical negative posters pop up when things are going bad but when things are rosy they are no where to be seen.

Well it is easier to say nothing when everything is going as planned. Critics are only about when there is things to criticise, can't critise if things are going good and certainly negativity from fans will always follow negative results, it's common sense no??

Just now, Dave-R said:

Well it is easier to say nothing when everything is going as planned. Critics are only about when there is things to criticise, can't critise if things are going good and certainly negativity from fans will always follow negative results, it's common sense no??

Very weak comment.

As fans we are here to support the club that we love. When things are going well we should be happy and praising aspect of our performances, management ect.

A lot of fans on here do this.

However we have a small segment on here that always pop of with their usual negativity when we run into a bit of bad form. 

When we are performing well and getting results they tend to be absent showing very little praise to that present time.

Performances have dropped off a bit due to injuries. It's impossible to be as creative at the moment as we were with a fit Grealish, and with Smith feeling the need to use Whelan (we're short of options here) to try to add bite and cover to a lightweight defence. It's more risky to play the high press that was so threatening a few games back when we are worried about pacy counter attacks against our "out of position" defence. This January will show Smith's thoughts on where he feels we are right now.

It's 100% better being a Villa fan under Smith's regime than it was under Bruce's.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s a shame that after 13 games in charge certain fans are judging the new manager to the extent of questioning substitutions or selections. 

Yes Kodija could have come on and changed the game. He also could have come on and watched the full back bomb past to him create the winner for Preston. El Ghazi could have managed to get one of those shots off and won the game for us. 

I’ve been critical of Smith in terms of not making us solid enough. I’m not making excuses for him based on the players he has at his disposal. It’s his just to get the best out lf them. 

But to hammer him for not bringing a player on that could just as much win us the game than lose it for us is just nitpicking in my opinion.  Unless it’s Bruce fans that are upset about him being sacked. 

I don't think Smith can be judged in anyway. For abit of time Smith has had our players who had no life in them under bruce running on all cylinders.That is an extreme change to be untrained under a manager for some seasons to then all of a sudden being ran till there socks fall off. Smith has increased there energy levels, he has them playing differently and he's changed there attitude and installed a fight in them that can go and win games.

The only thing that can be critise is our players,  I would say that around half our squad are not adapting properly to Smith's style, don't ask me why but they are not. There have been brentford fans even calling this one out and saying we would realise that most our players would need to go to bring in new players who can play Smiths attacking football. Remember we have a bunch of players who bruce bought, who jusy cant get to grips with Smith style, its completely different to what they are used to and it shows how football is changing.

Another thing with our players it's ok for us to blame them for making mistakes, being critical, but some of the abuse going round I can't stand. It doesn't make sense to hurl abuse at players, they do read forums and look at social media but it's not rite the abuse it does nothing positive.

Remember Smith can't even rotate our players properly, they're half dead pretty much, running on empty and 20 energy drinks before a match starts prob would not do a thing. So yeah we not only have a team that is energyless from not being rotated but injuries are plaguing us as well, as some put it we don't have depth.

It does look as though Smith realises that a tired first teamer is still as efficient as the rest of the bench and fresh legs we have sitting around who can't make bench. What does that tell you, that we have to many unreliable players at villa who don't fit the bill, who can't be put into the first team and replace someon as we need them too. We have to many players at villa earning lots, who can't get the job done, this is all the benefits of two decades of neglect at our club, it's being poorly run that has brought us to this with players.

It will all just take time to sort out but unfortunately the only way we will sort this mess out, is by sticking with a coach like Dean Smith for the foreseeable future. We need to be making sure he has fan and financial backing and eventually our youths will start to become exceptional again, flowing through into a first team and creating that claims of competition that Dean Smith talks about.

Some say we need to give Smith a couple of transfer windows before saying anything, I agree with that and I would go as far to say we may need to be prepared to give more that 2 seasons. We should really be as patient as we can with Smith, give him all the time he needs to do this the rite way. Rushing will only leave us in the championship for longer or worse if we get rid, could eventually take us down leagues. Let's get it done rite for a change, we should all be realising we have no choice as the last decent manager we had was John Gregory, look how long ago that's been.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very weak comment.

As fans we are here to support the club that we love. When things are going well we should be happy and praising aspect of our performances, management ect.

A lot of fans on here do this.

However we have a small segment on here that always pop of with their usual negativity when we run into a bit of bad form. 

When we are performing well and getting results they tend to be absent showing very little praise to that present time.

You took it the wrong way hence your reply (very weak comment), Critics do come out more when things are going bad, compared to when they are good that is the truth, i wasnt asking for a strength or weakness test on my comment. However is it a reason to complain about people for being critical or being negative when things are going bad, things won't never improve if people don't start pointing out errors that are happening. When things are going bad do we just sit there and say nothing or do we point out what's going wrong and see how we can make it better.

I will agree that some comments are beyond the line of what needs to be said, because some are just horrible and way too negative, but there are also those fans who throw out some decent constructive negativity when we're in a bad shape and it's ritely deserved. I see it as, as long as people are being respectable to whomever they are being negative towards, so long as it's not malicious and it's in a constructive way that we can all talk about it then so be it, I'll talk with anyone about anything.

We are in a bad spot because of a few factors, because of bruce, because our player are tired, because were unable to rotate players, because of a lack of defenders, players who do not fit the system and more, but people shouldn't hide away from this, let's be negative to the negativity that is going on and see how Dean Smith is going to sort it out.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes. I think that's exactly what we're doing, creating systems that suit our individual talents and give us the most chance of scoring goals against an injury ravaged Preston. 

It's noticeable for instance that with Grealish out, we've gone to get the ball wide more quickly and a little bit more directly, we're trying to give El Ghazi and Bolasie chances to be isolated with fullbacks and pull centre halves out wide, then have McGinn get into the box. It's a change to the style we had with Grealish in the side which was more patient. There's a flexibility. Some thought on the way to make it most likely we'll score goals against an injury ravaged Preston. We're struggling a little with this style - it might be a tactical thing, it might be having no left back, no centre back and missing our playmaker - it'll be interesting to see if we adjust again for QPR.

I'd have liked to see Kodjia come on against Preston, I think the game was set for an impact sub and that's where I think Kodjia's role with us will be for the most part going forward - at his best he's electric, pacy, tricky, strong and with a good instinct for a finish - but he's not someone that plays well in a system or adjusts to different styles and tactics - he's not great at playing with others - at his best he's a one man defence wrecking machine - I wouldn't try to change that at this stage, I think it's about how and when we deploy it - as I say, I thought Preston was an opportunity to do that, but we finished the game strongly. 

I kind of agree with pretty much everything you say here and whilst I also agree about Kod - I don't feel either him or his agent buying into the impact role tbh with you 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly my view. 

last few games (without Grealish), we have looked to attack on the break rather than a possession based system, of attacks are much quicker but we lose possessi N more readily as the support isn’t there. 

I wonder if Sawyer is a like for like replacement so we can stick with the system?

I would like us after we have the defence sorted is to possibly get another striker in to partner tammy. God help us if Chelsea do recall Tammy were going to need one anyway, I feel that if we're to rely on kodjia, for goal were then just a Tammy recall away from having a very big goal drought, not to mention having a striker goal scoring consistency problem  We need our own Tamny abraham now, who is not our loan, hes ours, our other players offence isnt at Tammys level, we will struggle if we lose Tammy we need a back up of our own for him. We wouldn't need to loan Tammy if we had a scorer on Tammys level, this is why I hope Smith brings one in and that is one less problem we have to worry about if it arises.

Hopefully if the media has it rite, if bruce is appointed at Wednesday,  he will take one of his full-backs, centre-backs and strikers.

Any team will miss a player of Grealishs quality. This time last season we had played half a season without a fully fit Grealish. We averaged 1.64 ppg and only 4 points better off than where we are now. For the second half of the season with Grealish in the side we averaged 2 ppg. 

Had he been available for us all of last season I’ve no doubt we would have got top 2. He is priceless and we need him back ASAP. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I would like us after we have the defence sorted is to possibly get another striker in to partner tammy. God help us if Chelsea do recall Tammy were going to need one anyway, I feel that if we're to rely on kodjia, for goal were then just a Tammy recall away from having a very big goal drought, not to mention having a striker goal scoring consistency problem  We need our own Tamny abraham now, who is not our loan, hes ours, our other players offence isnt at Tammys level, we will struggle if we lose Tammy we need a back up of our own for him. We wouldn't need to loan Tammy if we had a scorer on Tammys level, this is why I hope Smith brings one in and that is one less problem we have to worry about if it arises.

Hopefully if the media has it rite, if bruce is appointed at Wednesday,  he will take one of his full-backs, centre-backs and strikers.

I rate Abraham very highly - my only concern is how knackered if looks after 70 mins. He would be very difficult to replace should Chelsea recall him

14 hours ago, hippo said:

Its not bad - its around average. What I don't get is why people based on that ? - have such confidence that he is the man to take us forward. 

When he came I was glad, not because I was expecting a guaranteed world beater, just that his name wasn’t Steve Bruce.  The only real positive I had is that I had watched him out think and beat Bruce several times, with a lesser squad.  

I have grown in my confidence that he can be the man to take us forward as i’ve watched him get clearly improved performances in a discernible system from a bunch of players he didn’t sign or choose.  Pretty remarkable turnaround.  Sorry you can’t see it.  It’s obvious to me.  

I have no guarantee it will continue.  It clearly hit a wobble with 2 key injuries.   But most teams would struggle with that, much less when they are working in an all new system.  

• Thanks 1

I don’t get the certain guarantee that kodjia would have turned a match.  There have been plenty he hasn’t.  

its always easy to claim (and impossible to demonstrate or be certain) that “insert player name here” would have changed the match, when that player did not actually enter.  “I think Revel would have scored of one of out late corners if only he had been on.”  It’s just as valid a claim.   

Kodjia might have done well, he also might have been completely useless or counter productive thriugh selfish play .  We’ve seen him be all three of those.  How can you be so completely confident that the superstar kodjia would have been the one that showed up?

you can’t. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This is still a Bruce team

That is performing much better than they did under the guy that assembled it. 

Which says a lot about Smith. 

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I don’t get the certain guarantee that kodjia would have turned a match. There have been plenty he hasn’t.  

Agreed. Kodjia has changed matches for better and worse this season. Was it the baggies game when his shear laziness to track a runner cost us victory?

Smith’s apparent “defensive weakness” at Brentford should also be seen in the light that this is a manager that knows you have to win games to get out of this league and draws are pretty much next to useless. 

We may end up losing some games as a result but in the medium/Long term it will deliver more wins.

Â