Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

A little worried how things will go under DS when he doesn't have Abraham or Grealish next year. 

As for our squad being crap, it's about on par with last seasons, and Bruce took us to the PO final. Funny how DS is being defended with a stick used to beat Bruce. 

Happy for him to have a full season, but this last month has me concerned. 

I think the defence was a hell of a lot better last season. The rest of the squad is roughly the same quality.

Do you think Bruce would have got this squad to a play off final this season?

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think the defence was a hell of a lot better last season. The rest of the squad is roughly the same quality.

Relegation, playing next division down under bruce, I think the play offs under bruce was sheer luck.

27 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

A little worried how things will go under DS when he doesn't have Abraham or Grealish next year. 

As for our squad being crap, it's about on par with last seasons, and Bruce took us to the PO final. Funny how DS is being defended with a stick used to beat Bruce. 

Happy for him to have a full season, but this last month has me concerned. 

The squad is not on par at all. What a joke comment. Terry and Johnstone have been massive losses for us and so has not having snodgrass. 

Ridiculous comment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need a win sharpish, some of our recent performances have been very poor, he has to take some of the blame. He has the chance to bring in some players now, hopefully this will sort out that awful defence of ours but we cannot continue to play the way we have been. 

I hope no one minds me posting a copy of this in here. I think it belongs.

Progress and regression come and go, sometimes subtly and gradually, at other times, evidently and exponentially.

Plateaus make up the most part of any endeavour where a skill or craft is concerned and football is no exception.

For example, Barcelona won't win their first game of the season 1-0 and then continue in cumulative form to win their 38th game 38-0.

There are just so many variables which makes it difficult to assess in a short amount of time how something is developing.

Despite the results being disappointing at times and there being obvious need for change if we want to occupy a promotion place. I think Smith deserves patience.

Why does Smith deserve patience?

He has come in an almost instantaneously transformed a side struggling to impose itself on games into a side that can match it with the best teams and even beat them.

The run of games we have endured since Smith took over have not been easy. We've basically played the teams which will or should occupy the top half of the table.

I'd even say credit to him, I think we look a proper side, compared to the team that started this campaign, we can at least have promotion aspirations now.

35 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

No, but he did a shit job this season. The reason he got sacked is because this is a side that should be pushing for promotion. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have been sacked. 

• Like 1

I remember when Smith first came in and it suddenly felt exciting again and we were being entertained. Felt like we'd score every time we attacked. Last few games have felt like real slogs to watch reminiscent of Bruce's time. Obviously I am absolutely behind Smith and he can only work with what he has. You can't polish a turd and our defence is a big one. 

What the last few games have showed us though is how reliant we are on Grealish for creativity and hearing that he's out until at least Feb is a concern. That is on Smith to find a solution and fast. If he wants to outscore the opposition then that's fine but conceding two at home every game and hoping Tammy gets on the end of a cross isn't enough. We need to be multidimensional. Will be intriguing to see how the squad looks by the end of January.

Edited by Avcol
  • Like 3

Â